Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/5/10 5:15 p.m.

Since this pertains to my '95 C1500, which tows my Miata to track days, it's under this forum, and not the "off topic" forum.

My truck was in an accident many years ago, and ever since then, has eaten tires, as well as the right rear axle seal. In the accident, the left side was sideswiped hard--the left rear tire was shredded, and the axle was knocked about six inches back on the spring. The body shop had the truck aligned, and noticed the left axle shaft was bent, so they replaced that only, but not the axle housing.

I used to rotate the tires on a regular basis, and I just chalked up the fast tire wear to cheap tires. Then I got a pair of snows for the rear only, so they didn't get rotated, and they wore very quickly on the inside. Now, I've got a good set of Goodyears on it, and not even 15,000 miles into their life, (50k warranty), the inside tread of the rear tires is at 6/32, and the outside is at 11/32. Both tires are wearing like this. They haven't been rotated to the front (or side--or at all).

I bungee'd angle irons to the tires, about six inches off the ground, and measured the toe. In front of the tire, it's 74 1/16", and behind, it's 73 13/16". So about 1/4" toe out on the rear axle, right? This is a solid axle, so it shouldn't be this bent, right? Can anyone else measure the toe out on their pickup truck?

I guess I'm off to the junkyard to get a rear axle, and hope it's in better shape than mine. I don't want to totally rebuild an axle--this truck now has 195,000 miles, and it's not worth investing much more in it, but it's a great truck. I'll probably have the tire shop pro-rate my tires and get some new ones. I need good tires in Michigan.

Any input to my winded post is appreciated.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/5/10 6:01 p.m.

I would say definitely bent. You might take it to a frame shop and see if they can straighten it. It could be as simple as a tube knocked out of the center housing a little.

Ranger50
Ranger50 Reader
9/5/10 6:40 p.m.

Forget trying to fix the original. Just spend the $2-250 on a "new" one. They may be even cheaper since those trucks always had drivetrains that outlived the crappy sheetmetal, especially in MI.

Brian

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/6/10 8:48 p.m.

Another for replace. I'd be worried about the axle tubes shifting in the iron center.

Besides, at 195k, if it hasn't had the rearend rebuilt once then it is definitely overdue. The R&P like to wear through the hardening and send metallic crap through the bearings, necessitating a thorough cleaning and everything-replacement.

Only downside is, a rear from the junkyard might not be much better... but it'd at least be straighter. In theory.

Mikey52_1
Mikey52_1 Reader
9/6/10 10:37 p.m.

Another for replace. With the caveat that you ignore anything hit behind the cab. You'd just be getting another of the same, then. And check the mileage if you can.

klipless
klipless Reader
9/7/10 7:59 a.m.

Before you spend the dough on a new-to-you axle, what about just heating the forward facing part of the the axle housing with a torch? When it cools it should draw in reducing your toe out. Do you know if both wheels are toe'd out, or just one?

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/7/10 8:47 a.m.

Rotate the pinion up and turn it into negative camber...

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/7/10 8:52 a.m.

I think the left side is toed out farther than the right--measuring from a plumb bob hanging from the frame. Both sides of the axles are centered with the spring center bolt, which may be how the body shop figured the axle was straight.

I've replaced the left axle seal probably six times, which also means the fluid was changed. The R&P appeared decent, but just from a quick glance, not any real analysis. I've never had any noticable metal in the bottom of the pumpkin.

This truck is in the condition where I hate to spend much money fixing it up, but it's also a Chevy truck, so it keeps going, no matter how much I abuse it. So I just keep it going, as cheaply as possible. If it weren't for the rust, I'd maintain it even better. Since gas costs about $60 per fill-up, I guess the axle is worth a few tanks of gas. I also keep it pretty clean, especially in the engine bay. That makes an old vehicle seem so much nicer--and easier to work on.

I'll call a few junkyards and see if I can score an axle for less than $200. Then I'll hope it's better than what I've got...

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/7/10 9:03 a.m.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Kramer
Kramer HalfDork
9/7/10 9:05 a.m.

More hotlinks--even they're my own pics...

Photobucket

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1bOqfstF3j6Z6YFaOBKOBHxfUeh9yXqfthseQi6kGSEKPDZI4ooDQWo5OP7vM7fX