1 2 3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
7/30/15 7:50 a.m.

As discussed in this thread, me and Masterchef are flying into LA, picking up this car, and driving Route 66 to Chicago. After which, I will drive the car to NYC solo, because the ad said the car would make it, goddammit.

This is the "last minute suggestion" thread. Yes we will be documenting it. I am pretty much pooping my pants right now, and my flight isn't until tomorrow!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
7/30/15 7:56 a.m.

Have fun. Keep the GRM road help thread handy.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/30/15 8:12 a.m.

Good luck. Have fun!

I got so close to doing this (LA/San Diego back to Ohio) that I added up what kind of money it would take for what I was looking to buy. It was just too expense for what I wanted as I was going to keep the car.

octavious
octavious HalfDork
7/30/15 8:19 a.m.

WOW! Good year on the car. But what an odd choice. I love it. Good luck

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/30/15 8:19 a.m.

Did you get it for close to scrap price or was the seller dumb and insisting on scrapping it if he didn't get $1500?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/30/15 8:20 a.m.

What route are you taking out of California?

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
7/30/15 8:24 a.m.

Last minute suggestions... hmmmm... get a flatbed as a chase vehicle? Bring bicycles so you can finish the trip?

Sounds like a blast. Good luck!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
7/30/15 8:25 a.m.
EvanB wrote: Did you get it for close to scrap price or was the seller dumb and insisting on scrapping it if he didn't get $1500?

The seller is cool and thinks this is the best idea ever. Price is still a little bit up in the air, will be based on what we see when we're actually standing in front of it.

yupididit wrote: What route are you taking out of California?

I have no idea . Whatever keeps us closest to the original route 66.

DocV
DocV New Reader
7/30/15 8:27 a.m.

Good luck to you, please give us some updates.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/30/15 8:34 a.m.

Save the CL pictures now. Once the ad is dead, the pictures will be gone. Those pictures can serve as the "before" pics.

I am jealous. Sounds like an epic adventure and a fantastic voyage.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/30/15 8:39 a.m.

The instruments are awesome!
Basic AM/FM radio. Maybe no AC according to ad.

Text of ad:
1977 Ford Maverick 4-door. Desperation sets in...does anyone want this beauty before I scrap it? Price dropping. Cash talks!! Survivor. Last year of production. 250 inline six, automatic trans, A/C works but needs a charge. 5-lug wheels. New tires! Dash is funky. The existing instruments work. I have a replacement instrument cluster. Car runs great. Turned it into my daily driver. Drive anywhere...I'd drive it to New York tomorrow. DMV paperwork started, old pink in hand, DMV fees paid (so none owed). But did NOT pass SMOG! Your mechanic can probably tune it to pass - I'm done futzing with it. Very, very original survivor condition. Pics tell the story. NOW only $1500 no trades, thanks.

keywords; grabber falcon fairlane mustang ranchero shagadelic 302 289 rat rod gasser barn find

Yes, the seller thought that shagadelic would be a good keyword!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
7/30/15 8:42 a.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

Also no fuel gage. We may attempt to charge the AC, and I'd like to hook up the oil pressure idiot light.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/30/15 8:48 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: Also no fuel gauge. We may attempt to charge the AC, and I'd like to hook up the oil pressure idiot light.

It is so old that it may require genuie R12 rather than the new Ra134. I would say that it would be money/time well spent to see about fixing/converting the AC. Even if it leaks and you only can get one day out of a can of Ra134, those cans are like $7 and $7 per day for relief from desert heat is a bargain.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/30/15 8:52 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: I have no idea . Whatever keeps us closest to the original route 66.

May be too late now- but there are some really good books about Route 66, and the various routes that it took. We did from Chicago to Tulsa- and it was great- but there were a few different eras of 66 one could take.

Hope you can find some information on line about that.

Have fun!

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/30/15 8:53 a.m.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
7/30/15 8:59 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

The other guy is in charge of navigation- we'll have multiple maps and books. I'm there to drive/wrench/die from heat stroke

failboat
failboat UltraDork
7/30/15 8:59 a.m.

Those bumpers are hilariously large. too bad it doesnt come with the mag wheels.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
7/30/15 9:06 a.m.

Good Luck sounds epic

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
7/30/15 9:07 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to alfadriver: The other guy is in charge of navigation- we'll have multiple maps and books. I'm there to drive/wrench/die from heat stroke

I was going to tell you to take your time and enjoy the route- but I suspect the car will make you do that.

Well, for the take your time part.

At least find some really oddball places to eat, and post pictures.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/30/15 9:08 a.m.

This sounds like a fantastic vacation. Have fun, and keep us updated.

If you get lost and wind up in north Carolina, ill buy you some bbq.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ HalfDork
7/30/15 9:15 a.m.

We're not planning much in the way of "en-route" updates, but there will be a recap afterwards for sure. Lots of pictures will be taken, but part of the point of this trip (for me) is to "disconnect" for a while- if I don't have to touch a computer I won't

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
7/30/15 9:20 a.m.

Wear your lucky underwear.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
7/30/15 9:22 a.m.

I like where this thread is going. Crossing the desert (and the rest of the country)in the middle of the summer in an almost 40 year old car that the owner is threatening to sell for scrap. What could possibly go wrong? Who cares it will be an adventure.

Don't forget the GRM on the road assist list.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/30/15 9:27 a.m.

Sounds like a fantastic trip! Bring duct tape, a good flashlight, basic tools, and a roll of "Emergency fix tape" like this:

https://www.rescuetape.com

This stuff is magic--- can fix fuel lines, water hoses, you name it. I carry a roll in all of my cars.

A roll of flexible wire isn't a bad idea......depending on how bad a shape the exhaust is in.

If you are trying to do the trip without relying on your phone--- go old school and get a CB radio. I'm not sure how many truckers are still "have their ears on", but it used to be a source of nearly endless entertainment.

Have a blast!

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Reader
7/30/15 9:29 a.m.

Turn the trip into a book. Im thinking something like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, only with more drugs.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hYa5WxTcFHGWRS4vdwIvzUX0sUG4F2hc6XDBCaXRa5fFZpofnJ0hEEhj7n6qD4D1