JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/1/19 1:02 p.m.
feature_image

Looking for a portable lift for your shop, or to take to the track? Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Presented by CRC Industries we’ll check out the Autolift 3000 and the Quick-Jack BL5000, and have a professional mechanic put them both to the test.

Watch Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Presented by CRC Industries on the Grassroots Motorsports Facebook Page and  …

Read the rest of the story

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/19 1:22 p.m.

After watching the video and having lived with a QJ for years, I do wonder what Autolift brings to the party. It doesn't have hydraulics if you don't like hydraulics, but you do need power for a drill.

Questions: 
What's the procedure for getting four wheels off the ground and safely secured?
What's the maximum height?
How do you do a transmission change or drop an exhaust with the crossbar underneath, or is that just a thing you don't do?
Which one has the lowest minimum height - at the sills for the QJ, under the car for the Autolift?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/19 1:37 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

one more: 

how do you quickly change the width of the autolift for use under different vehicles?

autoliftproductionusa
autoliftproductionusa New Reader
5/2/19 4:33 p.m.

Dear Keith, 

thank you for your questions, here are the answers: 

1) You lift the car up in the center of gravity and fix it easily in the horizontal position by a jack stand (or 2). The car is completely stable on the AUTOLift3000 - the center of gravity cannot change if you don't remove any heavy parts from the car (change the center of gravity) and if so, it is better to use 2 jack stands. 

2) There is enough space between the car and the frame so these operations can be done. AUTOLift3000 is largely used in exhausts service centers in Europe. 

3) The lowest maximum height of the AUTOLift3000 is 4,5 inches (without the rails for uneven surface).

If any other question comes to your mind, you can contact us anytime at us@autoliftproduction.com or to check https://www.autolift3000.com/

autoliftproductionusa
5/2/19 4:36 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

It can be done is a second - the platforms are adjustable, you can see it in the video at https://www.autolift3000.com/ - second 22-24. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 4:42 p.m.

I don't see how you can pull a transmission on a RWD car as you wouldn't be able to drop it down. Exhausts could be possible but you'd have to snake it out from one end or the other.

How do you find the CoG, trial and error?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/2/19 4:53 p.m.

Btw, my offer stands this week regarding a filming location if JG if coming in and out of BWI, the garage even has several cans of CRC goodies that can be positioned for the proper backdrop. (I shot a message to JG a message on the book O'Faces) 

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/19 7:03 p.m.

Tried to watch last night and had issues on YouTube. Any chance that was temporary? 

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/2/19 8:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I don't see how you can pull a transmission on a RWD car as you wouldn't be able to drop it down. Exhausts could be possible but you'd have to snake it out from one end or the other.

Presumably you could use the AutoLift to put it up on jackstands, then drop the AL and slide it out of the way.  I don't know if that's much less work than just using a floor jack, though.

IMHO the AL is less useful than the QuickJack.  If it were $500 then there might be an argument about value for money, but at $1500 it costs MORE than a QuickJack.

JG Pasterjak
5/2/19 10:34 p.m.
grover said:

Tried to watch last night and had issues on YouTube. Any chance that was temporary? 

Yeah YouTube sucked last night. Sorry about that. We were monitoring things on our end and it looked like the signal leaving the building was good throughout, and I saw some reports of some other stream issues on YouTube last night, so I'm hoping it was just a temp issue.

What stinks is that if YouTube is buggy at the start, it's going to stay buggy throughout. Facebook can "heal" itself when there's stream issues. So the only way we could get things working on Youtube would be to stop the broadcast then reconnect, which would stop both streams (since it's a single stream split to two outlets), then we'd have to reestablish. For Youtube watchers, it would be pretty seamless. But everyone on Facebook would have to go to the new post that it would create, and when that happens we lose a ton of people in the process. So we try and limit our broadcast stoppages to when there's just an insurmountable problem that leaves us no other choice.

Anyway, thanks everyone fomr coing over to Facebook from YouTube. Until we can buy our own satellite, we're at the mercy of the streaming services.

JG Pasterjak
5/2/19 10:37 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Btw, my offer stands this week regarding a filming location if JG if coming in and out of BWI, the garage even has several cans of CRC goodies that can be positioned for the proper backdrop. (I shot a message to JG a message on the book O'Faces) 

Looks like we're staying at some resort pretty far west of town (I know, tough life...). But thanks for the offer. The first thing I do when I get to the room (before even removing my pants and setting the a/c to 6 degrees) is check the internet. If it's particularly horrific I may be in touch.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

Likely Rocky Gap, you'll have solid WiFi there. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/3/19 9:42 a.m.

FYI, Home Depot is running a special on the 5000 lb Quick Jack (posted on May 3, 2019) - $400 discount ($1099):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Jack-BL-5000SLX-5-000-lbs-Capacity-Portable-Vehicle-Lifting-System-BL-5000SLX-AC-110v/307393222

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/3/19 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Ian F :

Oh that would be a great addition to my garage. I wonder how long will that sale last.

autoliftproductionusa
5/3/19 4:52 p.m.

After a consultation with our mechanic, I can confirm the transmission changes can be done with AUTOLift3000. He confirmed he's already done it on VW Passat 4x4 and he had enough space for that. With exhausts, you're definitely right. 

As for the CoG that is always trial and error, in the beginning, you put the AUTOLift3000 more to the front (gearboxes always toward to the engine) and try to lift it up just a few inches and try if it can tilt easily or you need to move it a little bit. If you start using it, you know where the CoG is, after some trials. 

More info about the CoG....FAQ https://www.autolift3000.com/static/docs/frequently-asked-questions.pdf

autoliftproductionusa
5/3/19 5:29 p.m.

In reply to codrus :

Just wanted to comment on the differences between AUTOLift3000 and QuickJack.

In our opinion, each product has its advantages and disadvantages and do not have the completely same users.

QuickJack is hydraulical and can be used also for wider cars and doesn't have any limitation for the width of the vehicle and can be used also for "on frame" cars.

AUTOLift3000 is mechanical and long-lasting and maintenance-free product which can be used for more than 15 years - has been existing on the European market from 90th. What is the most important feature, it's the tilting - so you can work in a very comfortable position and all the parts of the lifted vehicle become more accessible, you have more space under the car cause when tilted, you are much higher. So depends on the works the people need to do and also what kind of cars they need to use it for. 

The prices are very similar if you take the same capacity of the product.

AUTOLift3000 has 6614 Lbs capacity and the price (all the accessories and shipping included) is currently 1490 USD,

QJ has more options so the QJ5000 is 1365 USD, QJ7000 1525 USD on the official web. 

That is supposed to help the potential users to make the right decision which product satisfies their needs better cause each of them has different features. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/19 1:39 p.m.

And for the Costco members amongst us, Costco currently lists the Quickjack 5000 SLX for $999 after a $100 rebate: https://www.costco.com/QuickJack-5%2c000-LB-Capacity-Portable-Car-Lift.product.100460313.html

Between that price and the fact that you can get a motorcycle lift adapter for it, I finally pulled the trigger after watching a rerun of the GRM live.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/19 5:42 p.m.

And amazingly, Costco delivered the QuickJack within two working days, too.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X8Wza9Dx0eceyzW4Yrs6nq9PKBM333wSpA3mqQiZHsVxz7BLjcAvKZZNAnUfdteh