1 2
captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/25/18 5:52 p.m.

Even though prices on second hand parts appear to, for the most part, be falling. CL appears to be waning in listing popularity in favor of Facebook marketplace, let go, offer up and even nextdoor. (I've noticed this trend accelerated after personals were removed from CL, just saying). Unfortunately these other applications don't have a searchtempest type tool to cast a wide range geographic search, and it's obviously also more time to search the same key words into all the various applications. It would really be beneficial to sellers and buyers to have one centrally utilized application to buy and sell.

Vent/rant over. 

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/25/18 6:19 p.m.

My vent is that I don't use Facebook, it's hard to shop for used cars and assorted stuff

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
12/25/18 6:24 p.m.

Not only do I not want to have a Facebook account, but the fb marketplace is terrible. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 6:37 p.m.

My main experience with FB marketplace is that people want free stuff delivered for free as well, ideally a couple of hundred miles away. I had some luck selling a handful of items on there, but my experience selling car parts on FB marketplace has been rather terrible.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 7:23 p.m.

I sold the Vette & the 22s off the Suburban on FB Marketplace & have bought some parts there before. Everything went well for me. I like that they now have ratings for buyers & sellers. 

captdownshift
12/25/18 7:28 p.m.

Facebook marketplace is the wild wild west, never use a transmission filter as 95% of manuals are in fact listed as automatics

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/25/18 8:32 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Facebook marketplace is the wild wild west, never use a transmission filter as 95% of manuals are in fact listed as automatics

This is why I check the entire ad and the interior photos.  

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/25/18 8:55 p.m.

There’s a disproportionate number of female names selling cool cars for cheap. I suppose they could be posting for a guy, but I’m always skeptical. 

captdownshift
12/26/18 12:40 a.m.

In reply to Woody :

Harkens back to one of best CL search terms "divorce" 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
12/26/18 1:09 a.m.

Apart from the 2 times i got lucky selling weird stuff for cheap, this pretty much sums up my experience with facebook market place.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
12/26/18 1:25 a.m.

In general FB has been a good place for parts but I usually look in specific groups rather than the general marketplace.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/18 4:08 a.m.
dculberson said:

Not only do I not want to have a Facebook account, but the fb marketplace is terrible. 

I also feel really weird communicating with a stranger who can potentially view a whole lot more about me than I might want or realize.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/26/18 8:00 a.m.

I bought my 2018 challenge car and probably 20% of its parts on FB marketplace. I've sold my last two parts cars on it. It really is the wild wild west. Some really good deals to be had out there.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
12/26/18 8:12 a.m.

Anything on Facebook, marketplace or otherwise, is terrible. Only slightly kidding.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/26/18 8:41 a.m.

One of the big changes on CL is the fact that items are removed much quicker than they were in the past.  So there is less to view, but what you do find tends to be actually available.

FB has more and better deals, however, which is a shame, as it is a real PITA to search for anything specific.  Especially since FB likes changing the title for everything into "Chevy Avalanche"

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
12/26/18 8:55 a.m.
Cooter said:

One of the big changes on CL is the fact that items are removed much quicker than they were in the past.  So there is less to view, but what you do find tends to be actually available.

FB has more and better deals, however, which is a shame, as it is a real PITA to search for anything specific.  Especially since FB likes changing the title for everything into "Chevy Avalanche"

At least the price is fair... 123,456,789...!

Cooter
Cooter Dork
12/26/18 9:16 a.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi :

That is also a FB issue.  You aren't allowed to leave the price blank, or it will be listed as free. So people list asinine amounts that are difficult to filter out of a search.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
12/26/18 9:35 a.m.
Fitzauto said:

In general FB has been a good place for parts but I usually look in specific groups rather than the general marketplace.

This has been my experience.  All the good deals I've scored on FB have been from a closed group... more like buying from forum members.

I detest FB, and one of the only reasons I have maintained my account is access to these groups.  Even within that group, most of the adds appear to be posted by illiterates, and very rarely include accurate and complete information/pictures/pricing on what they're selling.

IMHO, that's more of a general cultural shift, and it's not just contained to FB. frown

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
12/28/18 2:35 p.m.

Couldn’t agree more with the sentiments here. I really detest FB marketplace, it’s awful to use. I would rather just not buy a car than use it. CL is so much better to work with, but I worry that the good deals are no more there.

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/29/18 10:44 a.m.

There's always going to be a disconnect between people who read (us) and people who don't (many FB, CL etc. sellers). People who read tend to be a lot more detail-oriented and up on things like compatibility and common failure modes. Someone once explained to me that it is the job of people who read to explain how the world works to people who don't.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/29/18 11:40 a.m.

My CL vehicle hunt has never been as difficult as it is right now.  I attributed that to the shift to FB Marketplace.  I did a search -- FB Marketplace will actually let you browse anonymously for a while -- and found some interesting cars that weren't duplicated on CL.  I relented and created a FB account so I could browse, and turned off all the privacy invading features.

And...FB's algorithms are good enough to detect my ploy.  Even after 2 weeks, Marketplace still wasn't available to me because I wasn't sharing enough personal data.  So I deleted the account. 

It really sucks for the hobby...forums and CL are dying off in favor of FB and I'm not going to do it, so I'll just miss out.

FB:  You are the product, not the customer.

ccrelan
ccrelan Reader
12/29/18 3:20 p.m.

Offer Up is another OK place to search for things relatively close to you.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/18 5:00 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Apart from the 2 times i got lucky selling weird stuff for cheap, this pretty much sums up my experience with facebook market place.

Just thought of a meme

somebody with a bunch of useless chrome on their engine = Edle Bro

GCrites80s
GCrites80s Reader
12/29/18 8:24 p.m.

Facebook is turning into AOL in that it's like it's own whole separate thing from the rest of the internet -- a closed environment if you will. Yet the people who use Facebook for everything (much like AOL users in like 1998) don't necessarily see it that way and think everyone else is like them and wants to use it for everything.

Tempest Nathan
Tempest Nathan New Reader
12/31/18 1:29 a.m.
captdownshift said:

Even though prices on second hand parts appear to, for the most part, be falling. CL appears to be waning in listing popularity in favor of Facebook marketplace, let go, offer up and even nextdoor. (I've noticed this trend accelerated after personals were removed from CL, just saying). Unfortunately these other applications don't have a searchtempest type tool to cast a wide range geographic search, and it's obviously also more time to search the same key words into all the various applications. It would really be beneficial to sellers and buyers to have one centrally utilized application to buy and sell.

Vent/rant over. 

FWIW we are planning to look into whether we can offer something similar for FB, Offerup, etc., soon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
50dp4RG8FQd592YAJozXu5dK7i10QAceSwetj2KoBtLlD2Qt1zdFVkhzuWHrYOYC