Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/4/20 5:55 p.m.

I've got an idea- for those of us without huge shops etc. What about a tool library- with regional tagging. 

I've got a need for some metalworking tools, but with a 20x20 garage and plenty of bicycles, camping gear, a motorcycle, brewing equipment, etc... space is in short supply. I need to bend some 3/4 and 1" tubing for some suspension parts- buying a JD2 or Rogue bender is like 800-1000 depending on dies. I'd like the usage of a shrinker/stretcher set for a panel... maybe an english wheel, metal bandsaw, blah blah blah. 

What if there was a tool "library" that we could swap, or rent tools, or time with a tool, from enthusiasts- regional tagging because no one is going to ship a tubing bender.  Any thoughts? Is this the right place for this?

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/4/20 6:53 p.m.

I think it could be a good idea but if I was the guy loaning the tools I'd want a deposit for what the tool costs.  That would likely deter most people.

Another idea would be a place to be able to go use the equipment on site but then you run into the risk of somebody suing when they inevitably do something stupid and/or hurt themselves.  Lots of cool ideas that can never happen because people don't like to take responsibility for their actions and try to pass the buck onto somebody else.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/4/20 7:07 p.m.

The On-The-Road-Assist List could kind of turn into this with a little reworking.  If there were a function that you could put in your zip code and it gave the top 5-10 members close to you?  Would also help if it said how often those members posted/were online.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/4/20 7:14 p.m.

Asa has what I'm thinking of- a trusted community like GRM "on the road" but for borrowing tools. Also- a Paypal deposit seems like it would accomplish the "lost tool" problem.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/4/20 7:58 p.m.

There are tool libraries around the country, this is the one in Minneapolis:  https://www.mntoollibrary.org  I think they're more geared to home repair and woodworking, though.  Check to see if you have any makerspaces in your area, they'll often have welding and metalworking equipment available.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 SuperDork
12/4/20 9:58 p.m.

I've searched and there doesn't seem to be this in Sacramento area. I might be the dude to bite the bullet and start one for our area. I already have some pretty good tools.... and that tube bender is calling me.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/5/20 5:26 a.m.

I remember one or two of the army bases I was on had fully tricked out shops that you could use.  Lifts, the works.  I was at both bases temporarily and the cars I so desperately  need to repair were far away.  I saw a church that had a car ministry in Chicago.  It would be awesome to use something like this.  I have a friend who has offered me the use of his lift, but I've been worried the car would get stuck in his garage through my own ineptness.  But I am guessing this goes more toward the on the road assist list.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
12/5/20 7:36 a.m.

There used to be a cooperative auto shop here in Minneapolis as well - you could go there and rent time by the hour with a lift, tools, etc. but they were in business for only a few years - I think they struggled to get enough business, and I suppose liability insurance may have been a problem as well.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
12/5/20 8:47 a.m.

"Can I borrow your tools?"

"Can I berkeley your wife?"

Same answer.  

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
12/5/20 9:09 a.m.

In reply to 93gsxturbo :

I have to imagine there are internet sites set up for this where the focus is purely your second question. 

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
12/5/20 2:55 p.m.
thedoc said:

I remember one or two of the army bases I was on had fully tricked out shops that you could use.  Lifts, the works.  I was at both bases temporarily and the cars I so desperately  need to repair were far away.  I saw a church that had a car ministry in Chicago.  It would be awesome to use something like this.  I have a friend who has offered me the use of his lift, but I've been worried the car would get stuck in his garage through my own ineptness.  But I am guessing this goes more toward the on the road assist list.

I've spent weeks of my life in a Auto Hobby Shop on base.  It's able to work because none of the military members are able to sue if something goes sideways.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/5/20 3:05 p.m.
thedoc said:

Restoration of that MGTD and my first Jaguar race car  were both done at Navy North Island auto hobby shop. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/20 3:14 p.m.

Unfortunately most auto hobby shops are closed now. Was costing the military too much money.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
12/5/20 3:18 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

North Island is still open. 

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/5/20 3:29 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

That's good. I used to be able to rent a lift and tools for 6hrs and only spend $25

In reply to yupididit :

The Naval Weapons Station in Charleston still has theirs. I have helped a couple of local sailors with repairs there. 

Mr_Asa
12/5/20 5:03 p.m.
Patientzero said:
thedoc said:

I've spent weeks of my life in a Auto Hobby Shop on base.  It's able to work because none of the military members are able to sue if something goes sideways.

They were never that useful to me.  I was a shift worker and when I needed to work on something it always seemed to be when I was on night shift or mids.

Surprised I never seemed to get in trouble with doing crap in the parking lot

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/5/20 11:16 p.m.

What i need is a list of people who will help me remember what tools i already own so i stop going out buying duplicates and then getting mad when i find the one i already had. 

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/5/20 11:20 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Sometimes that's the only way to find the one you own.

Mr_Asa
12/5/20 11:37 p.m.

In reply to Vigo (Forum Supporter) :

Excel spreadsheet?

Finding it when its "stored" somewhere is the challenge

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xx3Cj7xTS0IWh8K3XpuChLKb3fUMLLNxEQuJipgBlJr1OtBFgmS2dBkDeFAsAFgo