WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
12/15/15 2:03 p.m.

So I have some rivets I need to install between grates on a Ferrari 308 and all of the tools I have access to are way too thick to fit between the grates.

Do any of you know where I might be able to find small frame rivets tools? I only need 1/8 inch capability. My Google fu has thus far failed me.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb HalfDork
12/15/15 2:21 p.m.

How big is the opening in the grates and how deep in there do you need to go?

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/15/15 3:33 p.m.

Europa guys have the same problem with window molding. They stack up some small washers on top of the rivet stud, then put the gun on the stud and pull it.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
12/15/15 3:52 p.m.

I'm assuming blind rivets rather than solids:

I highly doubt you want to spend the kind of money they cost but Taylor Pneumatic makes the T-7891A which comes with the long nose adapter that do 1/8 inch. $300

http://www.paxontool.com/TaylorT-7891A3/16HeavyDutyLongNoseRiveter3/16Capacity2300Pu.aspx

Snapon makes the SAG19830 (that took quite a bit of effort to find) $70

https://store.snapon.com/Non-Catalog-Items-1-4IN-EXTENDED-NOSE-RIVETER-P9627898.aspx

Those are about as long and narrow as I can find.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
12/15/15 4:09 p.m.

So the grate width is only 3/4" and I'm unfortunately not trying to get deep in between perpendicularly but parallel with them. So the whole tool head has to fit between the 3/4" space lengthwise then pop a rivet through a vertical edge on the ends of the grates. Basically I think I'm looking for a mini version of a generic rivet plier.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
12/16/15 7:35 a.m.

You need a Thin or small diameter nose tool. I've not seen one in years but they used to sell one all manual had a small nut (7/16) you tightened and a thin pipe like nose to get in to such places. We used it to pop rivet PCB in to a stand off.

Can you take a cheap gun apart and turn the od to fit in there? Do you have a lathe handy?

Could you pull the grill out and drill the frame for well-nuts or rivet-nuts then screw the grill in?

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
12/16/15 9:50 a.m.

I've used a short piece of tubing to slip over the shank of the pull rivet for some recesses. 3/16" to 1/4" brake tubing oughta work IIRC. Won't extend the pull that much but as long as the gun can grip the end of the shank it's good.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/16/15 9:56 a.m.

Something doesn't sound right here. While I know Italians in the 70's were like the British in the 70's and often found the hardest way possible to do something, it seems to me they wouldn't have done this. The grate can't be removed to access the area and then reinstalled? Can we get a picture?

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/16/15 10:40 a.m.

Wicks Aircraft Supply or an aviation base warehouse might have a solution.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
12/16/15 1:17 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Grates aren't removable without major surgery. I'll try to snap a pic later today.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fioOby4L9KQiL9Abcr8t72lztjKkjhg7BTokKPpkMNSiDdXPpTEhzWT1Q3wJ5Uyd