ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
8/14/08 4:14 p.m.

Howdy all,

Harbor Freight sent me a cupon for their "US General" (sounds tough, huh?) bead breaker tool for like $32. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92961

I'm curious if this is really worth having or just a joke. I find the need to do lots of tire swapping (back40 racing and such). If anybody has any yeah-or-neigh type review for this...I'd appreciate it.

My gut says it will be great for exercising futility...but not necessarily changing tires.

I appreciate it! Clem

aircooled
aircooled Dork
8/14/08 5:30 p.m.

Once you break the bead, how you going to swap the tire?

A friend has one of their tire changers (bolted to the ground) and it works pretty good. The bead breaker part was a bit weak (it was bending) so I welded it up for him.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper SuperDork
8/14/08 5:35 p.m.

I had one, it's useless.

It tries to break off far to long a section of bead, so all you do is dangle from the handle, the bead stays solidly mounted.

You need a small footprint to break a tire bead by hand. That's why the bead breaker on the manual tire changing machine is small. That one actually works.

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
8/15/08 8:55 a.m.

There was a good thread on here a month or so ago. Showed alot of DIY bead breakers. Can't find it now. The search is useless... If you search for "bead breaker" this thread doesn't even show up....

youngfg
youngfg New Reader
8/15/08 10:17 a.m.

I have one of these, It works great. Tire changer

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
8/15/08 11:54 a.m.

I see no part on the Harbour Freight device that would make a decent Schroeder.

minimac
minimac Dork
8/15/08 5:50 p.m.
MGAMGB wrote: I have one, it's awesome. I had to relocate a hole to change the geometry and replace the bolts, which were apparently made from an alloy containing Velveeta.

I think I peed a little bit when I read this. I now know the secret ingredient in cheap-o tools.....

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bbRz6Us81orW3UFeAQc1DuVHpq4YVNGaR7wHEWNXsc62LJwq0Q5fscaRg1YYmNdt