1 2 3
novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
2/22/15 12:05 p.m.
pjbgravely wrote:
stuart in mn wrote: Or, you can just tune in to BBC America and watch the episodes. The show airs in the UK on Sunday nights, and they show it here on Monday nights, so it's not like you're having to wait very long.
Out of the 9 channels I receive over the air, BBC America isn't one of them. I am not going to pay a huge amount of money just to watch Top Gear and Dr Who. I hear the BBC is going to allow my choice of operating system to view shows on their website soon but I still have to spoof my IP as they won't let me buy a license living in the USA. The other BBC shows I like I can get on PBS so I watch them their even with a 6 month delay.

they also show a lot of episodes of Star Trek:TNG late at night, if that tips the scales for you..

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
2/22/15 5:26 p.m.

In reply to novaderrik: LOL I saw them all, but I never bother downloading them, not as good as TOS. I remembering watching Doctor Who on a friends TV and noticed they cut out my favorite part of the episode.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
2/22/15 8:30 p.m.
carbon wrote: show seems to be for non car people

If it were for car people, it would have been cancelled a long time ago. Let's face it, "car people" are a very small proportion of the TV-viewing populace.

I like Top Gear as it is. If I want "serious hardcore car reviews" and stuff like that, I have the internet which is full of such things.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
2/22/15 10:24 p.m.

I've been watching, and enjoying, the new season. It isn't serious car journalism but it is well done and generally entertaining. I'd give the left one to be a presenter. It seems like just about the dream job to have.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/15 8:41 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
If it were for car people, it would have been cancelled a long time ago. Let's face it, "car people" are a very small proportion of the TV-viewing populace. I like Top Gear as it is. If I want "serious hardcore car reviews" and stuff like that, I have the internet which is full of such things.

There's a reason this guy isn't as famous as Clarkson and crew:

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler:

Goss' Garage is no match for The Stig. The Wife and I watch every week. The Ambulance episode is one of the funniest things I've watched in a long time.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/23/15 5:38 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
irish44j wrote:
If it were for car people, it would have been cancelled a long time ago. Let's face it, "car people" are a very small proportion of the TV-viewing populace. I like Top Gear as it is. If I want "serious hardcore car reviews" and stuff like that, I have the internet which is full of such things.
There's a reason this guy isn't as famous as Clarkson and crew:

Motorweek is terrible, that guy is as awkward, forced and douchey as any presenter I've ever seen. But at least he's not Yolanda whatever her name is, blathering endlessly about green bulle36m3. Goss's garage sucks too, way to innovate dude, really breaking the mold with those segments.

I liked the way top gear did the last episode, and I think I'm not alone. I hope to see a return to the way it used to be.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/23/15 5:44 p.m.

In reply to carbon:

You shut your filthy whore mouth

I've watched every episode of Motorweek since around 1990 or so. In fact it was a mandatory part of my Automotive tech class in high school.

Motorweek kicks ass and Top Gear kicks ass.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/15 6:16 p.m.

Motorweak was a colossal disappointment. I used to watch Motorweek Illustrated every Saturday as a kid. It was the best racing program on TV. Then that Commie loving bastard Ted Turner killed it. A few years later in high school a classmate was telling me he had a cousin that worked on a really cool car show, Motorweek and asked if I saw it. I was excited because I thought it went off the air but he said it was on PBS now. I figured it made sense since this was the same network that broadcast some of the other bitchin' shoes from my childhood like The Electric Company and The MacNeil/Lehrer Report. He was very, very wrong. Instead of Dave Despain and Bob Varsha covering all of the weeks racing I got John Davis telling me how this year's Camry was even beiger than last years and Pat Goss telling me that bad things could happen should there be no oil on my dipstick. The following Monday I skipped gym class so I could punch that lying sack of crap in the gentleman's sausage.

Here is a sample of the Real Motorweek . In one show they covered Indy cars at Mid Ohio, IMSA on a street course, Drag Racing, Trans Am Audis in the rain, The Southern 500, Dirt track motorcycles, and a commentary by Chris Economaki.

Tom_Spangler
2/23/15 6:32 p.m.

I didn't mind Motorweek back when it was literally the only car-related show on TV. But it was always a passionless "just the facts" consumer-oriented show. TG is an entertainment show that happens to feature cars.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
2/23/15 8:34 p.m.

As a car guy the thought never even crossed my mind that I should even consider watching Motorweek.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
2/23/15 9:04 p.m.

Top Gear (UK and gasp US) are the only remotely car related shows I can get SWMBO to watch. Since US decided to drop the UK style format and the hosts have started working together better, I've really enjoyed it. It has the fancy filters and camerawork that draws us all in. At the end of the day they are both scripted shows with scripted outcomes.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
2/23/15 9:23 p.m.

I would imagine Peugeot is not very happy with the boys after this week's episode.

Tom_Spangler
2/23/15 9:54 p.m.
Duke wrote: As a car guy the thought never even crossed my mind that I should even consider watching Motorweek.

Well, in 1990 we didn't have a lot of choices....

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
2/24/15 8:26 a.m.

I'm also of the Netflix-only crowd. And won't pay $60-100 a month for the 3 channels I might actually like. I was coping until Netflix removed all but 4 seasons from the instant stream.

If I could buy channels ala carte I would totally be in. Even $5 each would be worth it. (I'd only spend $25 or so)

Tom_Spangler
2/24/15 8:40 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I'm also of the Netflix-only crowd. And won't pay $60-100 a month for the 3 channels I might actually like. I was coping until Netflix removed all but 4 seasons from the instant stream. If I could buy channels ala carte I would totally be in. Even $5 each would be worth it. (I'd only spend $25 or so)

This is a step in that direction: https://www.sling.com/

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH New Reader
2/24/15 8:51 a.m.

As Tom_Spangler said, I am definitely looking in to Sling from DishTV (and I believe it does get BBCA). Also, like others have said, it is the only car show the SWMBO will watch and enjoy, so I am fine with the format. I have tons of other shows in the DVR that would bore most non-car people to death.

Anybody else remember the PowerBlock (TNN then SpikeTV)? Back when it was hosted by an up-and-coming Toyota series driver named Danica Patrick? Looking back they were terrible shows, but my eyes were glued to them every Saturday morning trying to learn everything I could.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
2/24/15 9:11 a.m.

I have been watching more of 5th Gear and less of Top Gear.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/24/15 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

I used to watch 5th gear religiously. But I can not stand the fat long haired guy and don't like the other taller guy either. I will not watch it because of those two.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
2/24/15 12:22 p.m.

In reply to Nick_Comstock:

I don't think either of those guys are on the show anymore. You get three racers and one nerd now.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
2/24/15 12:27 p.m.

It's been a long time since I gave up in it. Does Tiff still make an appearance on the show?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
2/24/15 12:41 p.m.

He is still there. The others are Vicki Butler-Henderson, Timothy Jason Plato ( a BTCC champ.) and Jonny Smith who has some cars that would fit right in here. Give it another look, well worth it.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
2/24/15 12:49 p.m.

I have enjoyed the episodes on BBCA, but I dvr them at my parents house since I don't have dish.

I started getting my parents to watch Top Gear and they are obviously not car people. They still love it. We watched last week's episode last night and we were laughing during the star in a reasonably priced car segment......where when asked about what went wrong in Argentina, Clarkson replied "Every berkeleying Thing"

carbon
carbon Dork
2/24/15 7:24 p.m.

After seeing this weeks episode, it looks like top gear is doing the right thing! Great episode.

carbon
carbon Dork
2/24/15 7:43 p.m.

They didn't have to hurt that mr2 though, that was unnecessary. The French board meeting was funny and the driving like bad drivers was too.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ctoHT7bVEEhPVQm3ZGVSEcnFfqWs7cT9eXxAJso38QtwLQsTdeuN8iM9LSqYTBVO