MarkinKY None
Jan. 1, 2010 5:59 p.m.

Before I go any further, I've tried the forum search feature and it provided no -- nada -- results for my question, and I'm sure it's been covered, so sorry for the repetition.

My wife wants to give me a torque wrench for my birthday and I want to make sure I give her good guidance. I have three cars I fiddle with, in order: BMW e36, 1968 Triumph GT6, 2006 Honda Pilot. I've heard to avoid those from Harbor Freight (duh) and Sears. In today's economy price does matter, so I am looking for mix of quality and value. What would you recommend?

Thanks!

mel_horn Dork
Jan. 1, 2010 6:21 p.m.

If you're close to a NAPA they sell KD-branded torque wrenches. IIRC they have one with a rubber cushioned handle specially for tire shops, etc.

Toyman01 Dork
Jan. 1, 2010 6:53 p.m.

I use one from Northern Tools. Seem to work just fine.

pigeon HalfDork
Jan. 1, 2010 6:54 p.m.

The Harbor Freight wrenches are actually pretty good. I've read that they test out within spec as long as you're within 85-90% of the operating range, which is pretty standard for any torque wrench. I've used the 1/2" and 3/8" for several years with no issues or problems.

Grtechguy SuperDork
Jan. 1, 2010 7:29 p.m.

I have the HF 1/2" one...works fine for what I need.

Think I paid $14.99

xci_ed6 HalfDork
Jan. 1, 2010 7:31 p.m.

I really like my snap-on's, they've stayed calibrated without adjustments for 3 years. They cost a bit more, but they'll last forever, and more importantly, I can trust them. I can't trust the $15 H-F special.

wbjones HalfDork
Jan. 1, 2010 7:36 p.m.
Grtechguy wrote: I have the HF 1/2" one...works fine for what I need. Think I paid $14.99

+1

drmike New Reader
Jan. 1, 2010 8:01 p.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: I really like my snap-on's, they've stayed calibrated without adjustments for 3 years. They cost a bit more, but they'll last forever, and more importantly, I can trust them. I can't trust the $15 H-F special.

I have a couple of Blue Point (sold by Snap On for those who don't know) that are upwards of 25 years old. They spent at least ten years as the primary torque wrenches of an engine builder. I use them often, and they still perform well. I had them calibrated a few years ago, and they were spot on and needed no adjustment.

f86sabjf Reader
Jan. 1, 2010 8:26 p.m.

if new isn't necassary hit ebay and buy a blue point or snap on. That what I did and saved hundreds and now I have a high quality set of torque wrenches

TJ Dork
Jan. 1, 2010 8:53 p.m.

Previous issue had an article about torque wrenches that concluded that the HF ones are good for the price. That is what I have because I am cheap.

Pawn shops might be a good place to find one of the more pricey brands without paying for a brand new one.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
Jan. 1, 2010 11:34 p.m.

The HF one is fine for wheels and stuff like that, I wouldn't trust one for engine assembly. I've got one at home and use it ALOT.

1slowcrx Reader
Jan. 2, 2010 12:22 a.m.

I built a stock honda F22 rebuild with a HF $14.99 special and that motor had 30k trouble free miles on it when I sold the car..

I'm in the HF camp but when I land that dream job and have the money I'll go Snap On every single time

mndsm Reader
Jan. 2, 2010 12:31 a.m.

Price no object- Snap on.

Living in the real world- HF

MarkinKY New Reader
Jan. 2, 2010 9:31 p.m.

Thank you all, just the input I needed!

jrw1621 Dork
Jan. 2, 2010 10:25 p.m.

Just so it is clearly written here, the Sear's Craftsman torque wrench is not longer a "lifetime guaranteed" item.

JeepinMatt HalfDork
Jan. 2, 2010 10:33 p.m.

I have a GreatNeck 1/2" and a 3/8" drive. Both work great.

Josh Dork
Jan. 2, 2010 10:36 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Just so it is clearly written here, the Sear's Craftsman torque wrench is not longer a "lifetime guaranteed" item.

IIRC, the beam type ones are, but the cickers are not.

Personally, I have a beam-type craftsman (that I never use) and a HF clicker and check them against each other every so often when I think of it. The HF clicker hasn't caused me any problems in the 4 or 5 years I've been using it.

Jan. 3, 2010 10:00 a.m.

The article basically showed that if the Craftsman torque wrench was good enough, so was the HF. If you need something better than that, you're looking at Mac/SnapOn/&c.

wbjones HalfDork
Jan. 3, 2010 10:05 a.m.

I've been using a HF clicker for ~ 7 yrs now... the only problem, the screws holding the head together came apart and it all fell apart... they replaced it no problem, even though it was out of warranty and I had lost the receipt

Twin_Cam Dork
Jan. 3, 2010 6:14 p.m.
jrw1621 wrote: Just so it is clearly written here, the Sear's Craftsman torque wrench is not longer a "lifetime guaranteed" item.

Probably because I broke two of them under normal use within the span of three months.

The third one has lasted four years, though...

fornetti14 Reader
Jan. 3, 2010 7:10 p.m.
xci_ed6 wrote: I really like my snap-on's, they've stayed calibrated without adjustments for 3 years. They cost a bit more, but they'll last forever, and more importantly, I can trust them. I can't trust the $15 H-F special.

+1 Same here. I've had mine for over 12 years now.

SupraWes Dork
Jan. 4, 2010 5:28 p.m.

If you get a clicker make sure you set it to "0" every time after you use it. That is more important than what brand you buy. The Chinese ones are good for a home mechanic. If you are building some serious stuff a beam type, or even better, angle gauge and bolt stretch measurements are the way to go.

xci_ed6 HalfDork
Jan. 4, 2010 7:14 p.m.
SupraWes wrote: or even better, angle gauge and bolt stretch measurements are the way to go.

my Snap-On has the angle gauge built in. It's really nifty, but I've only used the feature a couple times.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

11 hours ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

12 hours ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

16 hours ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

What Was the Most Powerful Car at the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day?

17 hours ago in News

What if we told you it was an Audi?

Up to the Challenge

3 days ago in Articles

Torque: It's how Glen Bunch's vintage Dodge keeps pace with today's machines.

This Friday: The Ultimate Track Car Showdown

4 days ago in News

Come watch some of the country’s top track cars duke it out for fame, glory and some tasty prizes.

You Need This: Metallic Brown Toyota Celica

4 days ago in News

This looks a lot like one that we had in our fleet back in the day.

GRM Live Tonight: Learn to Drive VIR With Pro Driver Mike Skeen

5 days ago in News

Want to learn to drive Virginia International Raceway from a pro?

Are V6 Mustangs Fun, Too?

5 days ago in News

Can a V6 Mustang be just as much fun as a V8-powered car?

Our Miata Needs a New Engine

5 days ago in Project Cars

Our Mazda racer heads to Treasure Coast Miata for a new heart.

Mercedes-Benz 500 E: Like a Drug

6 days ago in Articles

Many of us dream about the perfect Q-ship. Mercedes-Benz rolled one right out of the factory.

Meet the GRM Crew at Carlisle This Weekend

6 days ago in News

We’re loading up the van, and tomorrow morning we make tracks for Carlisle, Pennsylvania.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
ij41bwi7pl6hKM7DDIoGU9vM39j6BCug