trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/30/20 7:16 p.m.

Looking for a decent once a month tow vehicle that is reliable enough for 1000 mile drives to Daytona Beach once a year. Lofty goal around this price point I realize, but anyone have experience with these and care to comment on pros and cons?

MTechnically
MTechnically Reader
1/30/20 7:22 p.m.

I'm pretty sure these engines are pretty stout, but it's the things attached to the engines that are of concern. Most specifically the emissions equipment, which they seem to have a bit of a reputation of wearing out. I'm sure someone else will chime in with the specifics, but I'm not sure they qualify as cheap and reliable transportation.

trumant
1/30/20 7:28 p.m.

I did three years of diesel emissions pain with my Grand Cherokee diesel. Went through 3 cats under warranty and finally ended up getting a lemon law settlement out of FCA.

While I love the torque and mileage of a diesel I definitely am not signing up for non stop emissions BS again.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Dork
1/30/20 7:29 p.m.

How much are you towing ? 

Personally I don't trust a VaG product for a 1000 mile tow, at a $7k price point. 

I would get a sequoia and call it a day. For me when I tow (tacoma and FJ for me), reliability is most important above anything else

been stranded a few times with a D110 towing machine 12 years ago. Never again. 

trumant
1/30/20 7:33 p.m.

3300lb E36 on an open trailer planned. Also a two horse trailer maybe two or three times a year.

The 1000 mile trips would not be towing just our annual summer vacation/general road trip duty infrequently.

This would be our fourth car in a home with two drivers and a son who will be driving in 2.5 years.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/30/20 8:37 p.m.

Guy in my car club has one about that vintage they bought used with about 100k on it. It tows the club's 16 foot enclosed trailer full of course gear with no trouble, or a Caterham 7 on an open trailer as if it wasn't there. 

My boss's old v8 Touareg suffered every mid-oughties VW gremlin you can imagine. The TDI doesn't seem to have as many issues. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
1/31/20 9:35 a.m.

I have a 11', which is an updated model, not too different outside having an 8 speed auto verses 6 speed.  All Touareg models will pull 7700 pounds, gas or diesel. 

I've only got good things to say about it.  If emissions equipment worries you, it can all be deleted and retuned easily.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
1/31/20 9:39 a.m.

At first I was thinking this was the model with the TDI V10 and I was thinking "For the love of god, no, run!"

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dnzUnS4fgRcYCrXYw2vf3vtgf3Ib4l6I8IzUskD1kwbUbiu7aLdNLu4BPFaYfSF9