1 2
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/30/17 1:11 p.m.

Hey all,

Would there be issues tow dollying my 97 miata for about an hour or so each way? It is a manual, can I just leave that trans in neutral? I know it depends on the car/trans.

Trying to plan ahead to tow it up to the autocross at the carlisle import and kit car show in 3 weeks.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/30/17 1:47 p.m.

See you there! I'll be spectating, unfortunately.

PS: We should do a GRM meet at the show.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/17 1:48 p.m.

I don't see any issue.

I'd consider flat towing as well if you don't currently have a dolly.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/30/17 2:07 p.m.

Theoretically most RWD manual gearboxes won't be lubricated properly when spun from the output shaft since none of the gears will turn with it in neutral and you'll get no splash lubrication. For really short tows this isn't an issue, the residual oil will do, longer and there could be damage. I suppose you could stop, start the engine, and rev it in neutral every half hour or so, that will spin up the layshaft and should get everything oiled again though it'd be best to do it with the car level. Or leave it in 5th gear and devise a secure way of holding the clutch fork in the disengaged position, that puts more wear on the pilot bearing though.

Turboeric
Turboeric GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/30/17 2:19 p.m.

I've dollied a 92 Miata 8 hours, running on the rear wheels, trans in neutral. 100,000 km later, it's still fine.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
4/30/17 2:58 p.m.

It'll be perfectly fine. Go ahead and tow it that way.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
4/30/17 3:26 p.m.

If you're worried it's really easy to remove the driveshaft - just a thought.

AWSX1686
4/30/17 4:32 p.m.
accordionfolder wrote: If you're worried it's really easy to remove the driveshaft - just a thought.

I might. Not sure how much space I have up there to put it back in though.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/17 4:36 p.m.

There is NO LOAD on the trans when towing. The gears will be fine.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
4/30/17 4:55 p.m.
AWSX1686 wrote:
accordionfolder wrote: If you're worried it's really easy to remove the driveshaft - just a thought.

Careful. The transmission fluid will leak out everywhere if you pull the driveshaft and have the transmission tilted down(like, for instance, if the front wheels are up on a dolly).

Plus you almost definitely have to pull the exhaust to get it out.

AWSX1686
4/30/17 5:57 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote:
AWSX1686 wrote:
Careful. The transmission fluid will leak out everywhere if you pull the driveshaft and have the transmission tilted down(like, for instance, if the front wheels are up on a dolly). Plus you almost definitely have to pull the exhaust to get it out.

Ah... True on the leaking fluid...

I believe I have pulled it without removing the exhaust before though. Looks like she's just going to stay in at this point.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/17 7:31 p.m.
Robbie wrote: There is NO LOAD on the trans when towing. The gears will be fine.

That isn't the problem. The problem is the geartrain is 100% tied to the input shaft, per normal RWD trans practice. When the driveshaft is turning and the input is not, the gears are all stationary, the only things turning are the output shaft and the shift collars and the bits they spline onto that I can't think of their name. So the shaft is running in the gears and the shift collars are running against the shift forks with no splash lube at all, and they are above the nominal fluid level, so they kinda NEED it.

I've known people to dolly tow Miata long distance no problem. I knew someone who flat towed an RX-7 (same trans) all over the place no problem. I also know someone who locked up a smoothcase after dolly towing a remarkably short distance, under a half hour.

AWSX1686
5/2/17 7:50 a.m.

Looks like I may have scored a deal on a car trailer, so that's even better!

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
5/2/17 8:10 a.m.

Towing the car up because you want to go to the carlisle show? Great idea.

Towing the car up for the 'autocross' specifically? Have you seen the course? It's not the largest (understatement) nor the safest(also understatement).

JBasham
JBasham Reader
5/2/17 11:33 a.m.

Different car, different transmission, but I put it in neutral, start the motor, adjust the throttle wingnut up to 1800 rpms, and tow away.

I also dropped a second electrical lead off the low oil pressure warning light, and wired it to a big light that blinks in my tow pig if the pressure in the toad is getting flaky.

It's a PITA to disconnect some cars' driveshaft from the diff. Not so bad in others. For the cars where it's not so bad, I just disconnect the diff.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/17 11:39 a.m.

Throttle wingnut? I find this an intriguing term.

AWSX1686
5/2/17 11:48 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Throttle wingnut? I find this an intriguing term.

Sounds like he means some sort of idle control nut. He did say different car though.

AWSX1686
5/2/17 11:55 a.m.
RedGT wrote: Towing the car up because you want to go to the carlisle show? Great idea. Towing the car up for the 'autocross' specifically? Have you seen the course? It's not the largest (understatement) nor the safest(also understatement).

The course is small, yes. Safety, perhaps not the best compared to a wide open parking lot, but I don't think it's too bad. I have greatly enjoyed running on the course for 3 or 4 years now. I've gone off track once, but didn't do any severe damage to the car, just cosmetic.

Also, NICO group is running the autocross, which means once you're into the car show, and pay your fee for the autocross, you have unlimited runs for the whole weekend. (Friday, Saturday, Sunday.) And they also switch between autocross and drifting every 2 hours or so I believe. It's quite a fun event!

I am towing the car there mostly so that I can have tools and another set of wheels/tires for if I do some drifting.

crewperson
crewperson Reader
5/2/17 12:09 p.m.

Tow it backwards.

Knurled
5/2/17 12:09 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Throttle wingnut? I find this an intriguing term.

Euphemism for driver?

Knurled
5/2/17 12:13 p.m.
crewperson wrote: Tow it backwards.

Can't find the video, might be taken down, but one of our rallycrossers found that to be a very bad idea. Grand Cherokee ended up on its lid, still connected to the dolly, which still had the MR2 on it. MR2 was still upright.

They made it to the rallycross in a somewhat bent but still running MR2.

JBasham
JBasham Reader
5/2/17 3:42 p.m.

Keith - not a euphemism for the driver. That, specifically, is "the loose nut behind the wheel."

Throttle wingnut = The white plastic thing that shortens the cable

AWSX1686
5/5/17 8:02 a.m.

Problem solved!

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/5/17 8:57 a.m.

I'm late to the party again. The trailer is the ultimate solution to your problem with towing the answer but has anybody checked the owners manual to see what it says about towing? That info is usually in there.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
5/6/17 4:08 p.m.
cmcgregor wrote:
AWSX1686 wrote:
Careful. The transmission fluid will leak out everywhere if you pull the driveshaft and have the transmission tilted down(like, for instance, if the front wheels are up on a dolly). Plus you almost definitely have to pull the exhaust to get it out.

It's a moot point now, but I think its easy to disconnect the drive shaft from the diff and then safety wire it up - not fully removed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nvcH7EJ2L0KkCESLZ7XwFLW1BVVw3C8nJuYarpZ6GNRZcELs6D9oTgrRfQTEQIIn