jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
6/23/12 12:51 p.m.

hello all. discovered a very significant fuel leak on my rig today. its a 92 3500 C&C (cab n chassis) with a 6.5L Turbo diesel. anyways, while running, but not so much with key on engine off, it DUMPS fuel. easily a quart in under a minute. Thing is, being such a huge leak, i can find it. i have no idea where to even look besides the fuel filter housing, and it is dry, as is the valley underneath it. i know absolutely bumpkus (sp?) about this engine and its fuel system, or even jack crap about diesels in general, so i'm lost. i am a decent mechanic, and im confident ill find eventually, but if anyone has a fuel system diagram or experience with this motor please, id love some input. its hitting the frame on the passenger side, running down to the ground just behind the right front tire.

any insight fellas?

-J0N

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/23/12 1:27 p.m.

Sounds like the transfer pump or fuel return line. Transfer pump is down on the frame somewhere. Don't really remember where.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/23/12 1:43 p.m.

Lift pump should be pretty close to the driver's door somewhere behind the frame.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
6/23/12 2:48 p.m.

ok i found the leak. it was the filter housing. the o-ring on the bottom screw was loose and the o-ring was brittle. replaced it and the o-ring for the water in fuel sensor, and all seems leak free....

....except it wont start now. i spent too much of the twin red tops rolling it over trying to find it that now ive killed it. how do you jump start a 1600CCA system? :P

i have no cables, no charger, nothing here. just a 1a float charger that will likely take 4 days to get her going...

oh well, at least it doesnt leak. :P

-J0N

B430
B430 New Reader
6/23/12 3:08 p.m.

Jump it like normal, or hook your charger as you would normally to 1 battery.

There is a vent on top of the fuel filter, open it up and turn the key on, once you get fuel coming out close it.

Try and start and it should go, will take more cranking than normal though.

LopRacer
LopRacer Reader
6/23/12 6:27 p.m.

you can jump it just like a regular car, it just really pulls on the jumping vehicle. We jump start school buses with drained but not stone dead batteries with our F250's with single batteries all the time. If you can find someone else with a dual battery system it will work better.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UJBxWCR4IKIJzIiZJ0aHM9iMTLJhbDnWC5mc8iszCDeVZ5XqcbbTqxmWLj1Bb1Qx