1 2
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/18 12:50 a.m.

The fiancee and i got back from a long weekend roadtrip and on the way were discussing getting an RV for long roadtrips, after looking at RV prices.....we started to like the idea of a small travel trailer. 

Looked at some options and found a very affordable 26ft ultra light that has a dry weight of 3615lbs. Since ive never really tried to tow much that seemed kinds light, and i looked up the towing recommendations of my 91 Ranger

5900lbs shockingly enough. This is more an intellectual excersize at the moment, but how much am i gonna hate pulling a 3915lb 26 ft travel trailer with a 91 4.0lv6 manual Ranger?

CJ
CJ GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/18 1:53 a.m.

Where are you going to tow it?  Mountains are guaranteed to be -0- fun...  maybe even negative fun.    What is the tongue weight rating of the Ranger?  What about the tongue weight of the trailer?

Is the trailer self contained?  I would guess that the weigh number you have is dry - start adding water, food, and Important Stuff That Has To Go, that number will increase.  Maybe a bunch.

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
8/14/18 1:59 a.m.

Back when I was racing motorcycles, I had a '94 Ranger x-cab 2WD with the 4.0 and a manual 5sp.  I pulled a 6x12 enclosed trailer, usually with one bike.  I don't recall the actual tow rating for the truck, or the weight of the trailer, but it was definitely working hard pulling my little trailer, and got ~13mpg.

You might get away with it at sea level on perfectly level ground, but I wouldn't even consider it...

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/14/18 4:12 a.m.

I'm not a towing expert, but it kind of seems like people in the US automatically think that you have to have some massive truck with 500+ft-lbs so that you can accelerate @ 70mph up a mountain pass with no significant drop off in performance. Don't get me wrong, having that capability and security is great, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything less is inadequate or won't get the job done. I don't know if it's because of lawyers, insurance companies (basically lawyers), or the proliferation of macho truck ads but It seems a bit overkill when the rest of the world gets by just fine with unibody station wagons and such.

Image result for wagon towing camper

Related image

Related image

Image result for wagon towing camper

That being said, the automotive industry has only recently adopted uniform standards for rating a vehicles towing capacity. Before a couple of years ago, it was kind of whatever a manufacturer wanted to put on the door tag. If your Ranger were to be rated today, I'm guessing that it would be rated to tow quite a bit less than it was originally.

wae
wae SuperDork
8/14/18 5:09 a.m.

Once you put some water in the tank and start putting your stuff onboard, that weight will go up fast.  I used a Ranger to tow with way back when and it wasn't awful but it did require some patience.  I found that it was much more susceptible to tongue weight than a half ton or a larger SUV.  

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/14/18 6:32 a.m.

We used a Ranger for many years to tow around our car.  The only time I really had issues were in the steep mountains in eastern TN.  Other than that, it wasn't a big deal.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
8/14/18 7:15 a.m.

I know a guy that does it. You can. IT's not impossible. Just remember that too much mass can make the tail wag the dog. The reason I like towing with our 1500 CCSB is it become effortless to tow. With our setup we don't lose any fuel economy to the midsize/compact trucks(low 20's, mid-high teens towing 5k). 

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
8/14/18 7:16 a.m.

In reply to STM317 :

The rest of the world isn't a good comparison for towing.  They're generally towing at lower speeds (not 70 mph) and not on big, open highways with crosswinds, tractor trailers passing, etc.  So they generally place a lower demand on the tow vehicle than long-distance towing in the US does.  

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/18 7:27 a.m.

I'll preface my comments by saying I tend to want something that's a bit overkill for towing.  My guess is that your Ranger would find that trailer to be a challenge from a power, braking, and stability (shorter wheelbase) perspective.  A 26' trailer is fairly long, and could be susceptible to cross winds with all that surface area.  I'd probably want a half ton truck at a minimum.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 7:39 a.m.

My son tows his 3000# popup camper with a 1994 4.0 Exploder. It doesn't tow it fast, but it gets the job done.  

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
8/14/18 7:52 a.m.
rslifkin said:

In reply to STM317 :

The rest of the world isn't a good comparison for towing.  They're generally towing at lower speeds (not 70 mph) and not on big, open highways with crosswinds, tractor trailers passing, etc.  So they generally place a lower demand on the tow vehicle than long-distance towing in the US does.  

You see, I'd think that steady state driving on big, open, mostly straight roads would be easier on the tow rig than lots of stop/go, on narrow, curvy roads like the stereotypical European experience.

A 26ft trailer might be a bit much for an older Ranger. I just find it interesting that there's an entire continent (Europe) where there are very few pick ups and large SUVs, but they've still figured out how to tow/haul things. They have wind too. And freeways. Some with no speed restrictions at all, where these small towing vehicles might need to coexist with much larger semis and vehicles going much, much faster, all at the same time. They might have to scale down what they're towing, or they might have to adjust their driving style (two things that Americans would balk at) but it's absolutely doable. The thing is, this goes against the "bigger is better", conspicuous consumption attitudes of most Americans. Europeans typically have smaller homes, (and less junk as a result) so they can get by with smaller campers, smaller tow vehicles, etc. And having a wagon or small truck doesn't show the world how tough you are the way that a burly Canyonero does.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
8/14/18 7:54 a.m.
STM317 said:

I'm not a towing expert, but it kind of seems like people in the US automatically think that you have to have some massive truck with 500+ft-lbs so that you can accelerate @ 70mph up a mountain pass with no significant drop off in performance. Don't get me wrong, having that capability and security is great, but that doesn't necessarily mean that anything less is inadequate or won't get the job done. I don't know if it's because of lawyers, insurance companies (basically lawyers), or the proliferation of macho truck ads but It seems a bit overkill when the rest of the world gets by just fine with unibody station wagons and such.

Considering how much the guys on Top Gear complain about caravans going slowly on the road, I don't think they get by "just fine." They go ultra slowly and generally, as was said, don't deal with Semis and interstates across 3500 miles of occasionally mountainous terrain. I just saw a new 1500 series Chevy pickup smoke it's brakes going down a 7% grade into Cherokee NC the other day towing a modern ultra light 26-27 footer. Now try that with a Prius...

Even my Range Rover, which was rated at 7500 lbs, was pretty much only comfortable with a 3500lb trailer...

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/14/18 8:26 a.m.

I have a 97 Ranger. 4.0 liter with 5 speed manual. 

I towed a small open trailer back and forth between Houston and New Orleans for several months while I was working in Houston and gradually moving from New Orleans.

Roads don't get any flatter than that stretch of I-10.    Trailer fully loaded was under 2500 lbs.

All I can say is there was no using 5 gear (an overdrive) so I towed in 4th gear.  In fact Ford recommends you do not tow in 5th gear for this truck.

High bridges had to be anticipated with an occasional downshift to 3rd.

Fuel mileage was horrible, like 80 miles a tank less.  Stopping was, well, interesting with no trailer brake system.  And side wind on the trailer definitely was noticeable.  

So, other than that, it did the job I needed it to do. 

I think if I was towing a travel trailer across country in the summer I would seriously consider adding an engine oil cooler to get a few more quarts of oil circulating.    And if an automatic transmission an  added oil cooler would be mandatory for that.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
8/14/18 9:52 a.m.

I towed with an older Ranger with the 2.9L 5 sp.  I only towed an open car trailer and the most weight  towed was around 4500-5000 lb, car, cargo, & trailer. With that it was working hard up hill. On level roads it was OK. I would not tow that big of a trailer (26 ft) even if it is as light as they claim.  The size of the front of the trailer in sq. ft has to be considered and the drag that the back of the trailer will have as well.  Even on level roads the truck will be working hard.

A smaller trailer in size can work but not one that big.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/14/18 10:23 a.m.
bobzilla said:

I know a guy that does it. You can. IT's not impossible. Just remember that too much mass can make the tail wag the dog. The reason I like towing with our 1500 CCSB is it become effortless to tow. With our setup we don't lose any fuel economy to the midsize/compact trucks(low 20's, mid-high teens towing 5k). 

I can confirm that- with a 4.0l Ranger, we would get 15mpg towing, and with a 5.4l F150 we would get 15mpg towing.  

As for the stability and braking- first load the trailer right.  That's 99.9% of all stability issues are badly loaded trailers.  Make the tongue heavy, and it will be more stable. Second- trailer brakes.  Those things keep things really straight.  We did a trailer towing class here at work, and even with a badly loaded trailer swinging behind you, you can get it straight by turning the brakes on.  Best to get both axles with brakes.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
8/14/18 10:32 a.m.

What is the gross weight of the trailer, should be listed on the info plate on the trailer. If it is less than 5900 lbs, you would at least be legal per DOT regs. A full size truck would be a better tow rig, especially with a 26 ft trailer.

Antihero
8/14/18 11:04 a.m.

Its the older OHV 4.0l and its more truck engine than the SOHC which gets its torque at much higher RPM. I think that might be a lot of the difference from everything i read. its also the longest wheel base ranger since its an extra cab.

I probably wont tow with the Ranger if and or when we do this, i just like the fact that ive owned it for 18 years and i know its quirks plus its been tested. Its showing signs of lifter rattle as the early 4.0s had and it has lots of miles. I may have also looked at my local craigslist and seen a 2xd v10 superduty for cheap.....and a Lightning. Getting a Lightning for a tow rig is a good excuse......right?

Im also not set on a 26ft, it was just the configuration and price we liked. A lot of the smaller ones seem bound and determined to package in more people with bunk beds than anything else. I dont need more than just a single bed and dont want to give up space that i could otherwise use.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/14/18 11:06 a.m.
alfadriver said:
bobzilla said:

I can confirm that- with a 4.0l Ranger, we would get 15mpg towing, and with a 5.4l F150 we would get 15mpg towing.  

As for the stability and braking- first load the trailer right.  That's 99.9% of all stability issues are badly loaded trailers.  Make the tongue heavy, and it will be more stable. Second- trailer brakes.  Those things keep things really straight.  We did a trailer towing class here at work, and even with a badly loaded trailer swinging behind you, you can get it straight by turning the brakes on.  Best to get both axles with brakes.

15 towing? Mine struggles to get 15 empty on the highway

Antihero
8/14/18 11:14 a.m.
RevRico said:
alfadriver said:
bobzilla said:

15 towing? Mine struggles to get 15 empty on the highway

Mine gets 23.8 max, 21 average on mixed driving. Which ranger do you have?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/14/18 11:21 a.m.

In reply to Antihero :

The SOHC 4.0 with a 5 speed and 4wd. I know the 4wd is good for a couple mpg, but those numbers are surprising. 

Snow tires (yes still, I can't afford another set) and short trips probably aren't helping either. 

Antihero
8/14/18 11:27 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Antihero :

The SOHC 4.0 with a 5 speed and 4wd. I know the 4wd is good for a couple mpg, but those numbers are surprising. 

Snow tires (yes still, I can't afford another set) and short trips probably aren't helping either. 

The SOHC isnt my favorite engine. My mom had an near identical explorer to mine only with the SOHC to my OHV. She struggled to get 17 where i always got at least 21mpg and mine felt more powerful since it produced maximum torque at 2200 vs....3500ish? 

Mine is the biggest, heaviest Ranger too. 4wd, usually loaded with tools, xtra cab 5spd. Ive never gotten as low as 15mpg even idling around town

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/14/18 11:29 a.m.
RevRico said:

In reply to Antihero :

We were getting a little over 20mpg unloaded with a 4.0l SOHC Ranger.  Just around 19 for the F150.  And all of my trips are long- we never drove either truck other than long distances.  Which is the reason we have shifted from a pick up based tow vehicle to an SUV one- so that it would be actually used.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/14/18 12:16 p.m.

In reply to Chris_V :

Here's a fun chart showing towing speed limits in Europe: Linky

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/18 12:33 p.m.

I probably would err on the side of towing with something better--in this case, it isn't the weight that would have be concerned, but everything else--notably the length and general sail-like qualities of the towed trailer, along with the size of the vehicle. Maybe if it was the supercab/whatever they called it, but with a standard cab/standard bed I'd say no just because of the wheelbase.

Also, there aren't any nannies on that truck. It is old. I know we're supposed to hate the nannies and the traction control and all that, but they've gotten to the point that they're really a wonderful safety feature. Your truck doesn't have it. If it was made today, I'd probably be singing a different tune.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
8/14/18 12:50 p.m.

I'm not sure how much of it is public perception of what is 'adequate' for towing and how much of it is legal liability of what is 'safe' for towing, but some combination there of seems to have redefined towing guidelines and limits over the years.  Which is not necessarily a bad thing overall. But if you're ok towing more so the 'old fashioned' way, I imagine your old Ranger would still technically get the job done. Just not as comfortably or as safely by modern standards...And of course, that's also assuming your Ranger has been maintained in good-to-excellent mechanical and structural condition after 27 years, so as to be the equal of its full original capabilities in every way.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nAkDjEIpfQyLi8FiDj03iN6xLoJQkdIN5MAGJufSFOLHC6j4c1FS2pChVCHuh4Im