1 2
Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/14/18 12:52 p.m.
mtn said:

I probably would err on the side of towing with something better--in this case, it isn't the weight that would have be concerned, but everything else--notably the length and general sail-like qualities of the towed trailer, along with the size of the vehicle. Maybe if it was the supercab/whatever they called it, but with a standard cab/standard bed I'd say no just because of the wheelbase.

Also, there aren't any nannies on that truck. It is old. I know we're supposed to hate the nannies and the traction control and all that, but they've gotten to the point that they're really a wonderful safety feature. Your truck doesn't have it. If it was made today, I'd probably be singing a different tune.

It is the xtracab 125wb

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 7:49 p.m.

I tow under 5k with a 05 Sequoia (stock except rear air bags) long distances (race car with heavy tongue weight because we roll at high-ish speeds and want stability), and had a V6 4Runner before that. The 4Runner (IMO) is more capable than your ranger by a good extent in terms of towing, and I can't say I ever really liked towing with it. Shorter wheelbase and lower weight and even an open trailer with a car on it we'd get moved around in strong windy vallies and such. 

We just did 13 hours each way from Virginia to Maine for NEFR in my 05 Sequoia hauling about 5k (trailer+rally car) and a lot of gear inside. 80mph regularly, rock solid, no sway, no drama. Just the way I like it, piece of cake. I have towed similar loads in smaller SUVs and pickups and honestly it's much more stressful (even in my 08 4Runner V6). Nothing sucks more than a long-haul being stressed out, worrying if your brakes are gonna stop the load on that 6-mile downgrade over the mountains, or if your transmission is gonna grenade. 

Nobody is saying to get an F350 to tow a 5k trailer. But if I was going on a trip with you and we were gonna tow that trailer (and all the additional gear) with a '91 Ranger, I honestly would probably decline to go with you. I like my adventurous driving, but not when i'm towing. Don't make towing an adventure. As much as everyone here makes fun of it, it's far better to have an overkill tow rig (which makes towing very safe and very easy) than something that is barely adequate (which makes towing marginally safe and completely unenjoyable). 

Guys who tow with undersized/under-capability tow rigs (even if it can technically be accomplished) are the same guys who claim that they have no problem driving their Camaros with bald tires with 2 feet of snow on the road....because they're just THAT macho and manly and awesome and they don't need the right gear. What those guys don't understand is that THEY are the problem, THEY are the ones making it unsafe for everyone else on the road (and themselves), and everyone else on the road sees them and says "look at that idiot," for good reason. Don't be that idiot ;)

Just my 2c. YMMV. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 8:20 p.m.

Here's a bit of comparison with some numbers of more modern/capable trucks that have pretty similar tow ratings to yours......

Your ranger with its puported 5900lb capacity: 140hp, 170tq, 125" wheelbase, 66" width, 4820 gross weight (so you have about 1300lbs to play with in terms of tongue weight, cargo weight, and passenger weight), 259mm front brake rotors 

Let say a 2007 Tundra rated just a bit more at 6500lb:  271hp, 313tq, 140" wheelbase, 80" width, 6600 gross weight (so about 1600 load capacity), 319mm front brake rotors (4-pot calipers) 

Now a 2018 Tacoma, still a bit bigger than your ranger, and rated to 6400lb by modern ratings: 278hp, 265tq, 127.4 wheelbase, 74" width, 5600 gross weight, 318mm front brake rotors.

IDK what all that means, but I like stats :)

Antihero
8/14/18 8:24 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

the 4.0 actually has 155 or 160 hp, 225 ft lbs of torque. It weighs just under 4000 with me in it too.

I hear what you are saying, its more intellectual exercise than anything right now

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 9:03 p.m.
Antihero said:

In reply to irish44j :

the 4.0 actually has 155 or 160 hp, 225 ft lbs of torque. It weighs just under 4000 with me in it too.

I hear what you are saying, its more intellectual exercise than anything right now

ah, was just going by what the internet told me lol....

also I'm just bored this evening lol...

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/14/18 10:16 p.m.

I have done a lot of towing that a lot of other people wouldn't agree with. Having said that, I don't think i'd feel safe much over 40mph with a 26' travel trailer behind a Ranger. My .02

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/14/18 10:19 p.m.

I wouldn’t be worried about the powertrain at all. It’s the weight/wheelbase/suspension that i would be concerned with. 

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/14/18 10:53 p.m.
mtn said:

I wouldn’t be worried about the powertrain at all. It’s the weight/wheelbase/suspension that i would be concerned with. 

agree. I only mentioned the powertrain as a "convenience" issue. Because trying to lug a trailer up a windy mountain road with too little power, while you'll eventually get there, just totally sucks! Hell, I always feel like my Sequoia is working awfully hard in the steep stuff. Couldn't imagine doing it with 100 less horses, probably because i"m impatient and don't like to go 30mph in the right lane climbing long hills :)

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/14/18 11:17 p.m.

question is.. do you really need a 26 foot long trailer? I am a big fan of the scamp 13 and 16 foot style campers. Light weight, glassfiber to cut down on the leaks, and a nice cult following. Perfect for "glamping" as everyone loves these things.

Antihero
8/14/18 11:30 p.m.
mad_machine said:

question is.. do you really need a 26 foot long trailer? I am a big fan of the scamp 13 and 16 foot style campers. Light weight, glassfiber to cut down on the leaks, and a nice cult following. Perfect for "glamping" as everyone loves these things.

Not sure, just picked that particular model because i liked the floor plan and price. 26 seems big to me but i havent been inside that particular one

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
8/15/18 3:31 a.m.

In reply to Antihero : It really depends on you more than numbers. I used to launch and recover a 6000 pound cruiser on a 1000 pound trailer with a little Chevy S10.  Never had a problem.  

I built my 16 foot tandem axle race car trailer to be towed behind the same vehicle.  All over the country.  From Minnesota to California and Florida.  No problems,  normal wear.

it’s about mechanical sympathy.  Can you carefully ease into the load? Do you look far enough ahead to recognize trouble and how to deal with it? 

Do you know how to properly balance the load?  Recognize when to ease things down or be patient enough to avoid rushing and reacting to situations?  

We all think we’re a better than average driver but that can’t possibly be true. So an honest assessment of your driving skill and judgement  is called for.   Look at your record.  How many accidents have you had?  How many tickets.  

Most of us speed but if alert enough can avoid tickets.  If you get them and don’t know where the police was that should tell you you may not be alert enough to push things.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x6412GRse61qaTCh04ZgIAYERQ1swSTsOqWwDHjauZ2fAoKAqANepaUT5yGPA0q4