1 2
MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
3/30/19 12:46 a.m.
Patientzero said:

I have a 1979 Chevy C10 single cab, short wheelbase.

Currently has a mild built 357ci SBC with a 4L60E.  It may eventually get a LS.

I have a 18' steel car hauler(~1800lbs) and tow my '02 Mustang(3100lbs).  I have no doubt the truck has the power to pull it, it also has the heavy duty springs and heavy duty brakes. It was formerly a Dept of Agriculture truck.  I could add air bags in the back for leveling if neccessary. 

My question;  Does anyone have experience towing a car with such a short wheelbase?  I used to have a Tahoe and I pulled a 22' enclosed trailer on a couple occasions and it seemed to sway quite a bit although the tie down points in that trailer were in a weird spot and I don't think I was able to pull the car far enough forward to get enough weight on the tonque.

My usual trip would be about an hour each way ranging from 55-70mph.  I likely will want to venture out to Topeka 2.5hrs or SCCA nationals in NE, 3.5hrs.

The easy answer is go buy a 3/4 ton truck and call it a day but it certainly wouldn't be as cool as the C10 and I wouldn't be on GRM.

Any insight would be appreciated.

It can certainly be done you just have to remember that the factory towing ratings back then are much lower compared to modern times. The tow rating back then is only around 6000lbs for v8 half tons . My dad has towed various cars on his open trailer with a 77 k15 Sierra grande with the 400 v8. However my dad used a 72 Aquarius 26 ft class a motorhome primarily for towing vehicles for racing events.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
3/30/19 7:33 a.m.
frenchyd said:
Curtis said:

I'd give it a try.  If all the bushings and steering links are in tip top shape, it should be fine.  Make sure you have trailer brakes.

If the trailer sways make sure the wheels on the trailer are pointed straight. A lot of trailers have one or more wheels in a turn even when pulling on a straight road.  

That’s why you check the alignment.  

Pro tip:  Don't jack a car trailer by it's axle. Especially when loaded.

Pro tip:  Replacement axles aren't terribly expensive from your local trailer shop. Not even worth trying to straighten.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/19 7:41 a.m.

One of the rallycross guys towed to Tulsa from Alabama with a Land Rover.  I was skeptical but he said it was just fine.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/30/19 7:50 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

What towed the Land Rover?   ZIng!  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/30/19 10:33 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

How do you straighten your axles?  I just take my stick welder and run a bead of weld.  Including getting the grinder out to clean off the spot it’s maybe a 10 minute job and one stick at most.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/30/19 11:51 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Pro tip:  Don't jack a car trailer by it's axle. Especially when loaded.

Pro tip:  Replacement axles aren't terribly expensive from your local trailer shop. Not even worth trying to straighten.

So, how do you lift the flatbed car trailer? Do you need to be carrying a high-lift jack?

And if buying a new trailer, does it need to go have the alignment checked somewhere? I'm looking at trailers now.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
3/30/19 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

Check alignment on a trailer yourself!  All you need is string and something to measure with. 

RedGT
RedGT Dork
3/30/19 10:43 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Theres always a one-up story, the question is what is sane. One guy in my class towed to SCCA nats with a 2000s Odyssey, glass auto trans and all. Miata, trailer, several sets of spare wheels and tires, 2 people and a bunch of gear. However it was only 7 hours iirc, and I don't think he had to go over any hills at all.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
3/31/19 12:56 a.m.

A Peterbuilt is a lot shorter than its trailer by comparison.  You got this laugh

But I can't even back up a trailer, so don't listen to me.....

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/31/19 8:03 a.m.
RedGT said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Theres always a one-up story, the question is what is sane. One guy in my class towed to SCCA nats with a 2000s Odyssey, glass auto trans and all. Miata, trailer, several sets of spare wheels and tires, 2 people and a bunch of gear. However it was only 7 hours iirc, and I don't think he had to go over any hills at all.

I still don't think towing a 3500lb car on a trailer with an old Range Rover is a good idea.  OTOH I also get the heebie jeebies driving an early Wrangler, and I've seen photographic evidence of people flat towing lifted CJs with other lifted CJs.

Wheelbase is your friend when towing, although it is easy to expect to need more.  With a well loaded trailer, 110 feels ok.  Personally I would focus more on making sure the shocks are in good shape.  Bouncy shocks when towing is scary.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
4/1/19 9:11 a.m.

I used a full-size Range Rover to tow my racecar on an open trailer for about six months. These trucks have a 112" wheelbase. It had plenty of power (supercharged, 500+ HP) and brakes (S/C trucks have six-pot Brembos up front) and towed extremely well. 

I upgraded to my current enclosed trailer (27' total length, 20' box) and that was too much for the wheelbase if there was much wind going on. It towed it fine if the weather was calm, but I wouldn't want to do "at night, in the wind, in the rain" kind of tows like I can with my F-150.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KYhtjxZgOPx8WKBK25v5dOKd41WldeoxIg5IatpWL6ESw8vIDFcukdpg7wauZNIM