1 2 3 4
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/3/11 2:00 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: I trust R&T on this sort of info about as far as I can speak Swahili; that is, not in the berkleying least. And I don't understand the push to make this car faster. The niche that needs a fill is small, 2+2 hardtop RWD 4-cylinder. There's plenty of RWD V6 and V8 cars on the market already.

That's fine, I didn't say it was the holy gospel or without error, only the information that I saw and was passing it on.

The push to make the car faster is because I don't think, I could be and have been wrong many times before, that this car with that low a HP number is going to attract enough buyers. Especially enough to make Toyota and other manufacturers to take notice of the niche.

What's so wrong with wanting a car that can turn AND get out of the way of a modern minivan?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/3/11 2:12 p.m.

I wouldn't mind if they decided to uproot the current tC, then drop that body on this platform, but I doubt that will happen honestly. I really don't mind if it's got fairly low hp from the factory, that should keep insurance down a bit, even if this thing is destined to be a continuation of one of Toyota's most popular sports cars ever. remember, this car will likely have an updated EJ-series engine and lord only knows how many companies know how to squeeze more power out of EJ-series engines. getting more power out of this platform shouldn't be hard. yeah, it would be nice if it came with more power from the factory, and yeah the $25-$29K price tag is a bit high for a car like this, I'm not disputing that at all. but on a forum of do-it-yourself-ers, are we really complaining about a big company not doing for us what we are probably better at doing anyway?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/3/11 3:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: What's so wrong with wanting a car that can turn AND get out of the way of a modern minivan?

Because you can already buy lots of stuff that fits that description. If it does that, it's nothing special, and there's no reason to buy it over anything else currently on the market. What you can't buy, and haven't been able to for at least 12 years, is a something akin to a Miata or S2k only with a hardtop and a backseat. If they build this thing right, it shouldn't weigh so much that 180hp isn't enough for it to get out of the way of a minivan.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/3/11 5:36 p.m.

You make valid points.

But I guess really my question would be, those of you saying "the numbers look fine to me," are you actually going to buy one, assuming they drive/handle like they should?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/3/11 5:50 p.m.

If they really are trying to capture the essence of the original, their HP is actually kind of on target. Where they need to be focused on is the KISS mentality. The original 'rolla was a teensy, mediocre power, lightweight. Its selling point was it was a blank canvas. It was minimalist, it was fun, and it was not trying to be a supra or a 3 series or a benz. It was just simple. That thing looks a little on the flamboyant side to be honest. But Ive never brought show to a go fight. If its light enough, and fun enough that a bill seventy can do the job, Im all for it. just keep the sticker down where it belongs FOR A COROLLA, and Im in.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
3/3/11 6:06 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im all for it. just keep the sticker down where it belongs FOR A COROLLA, and Im in.

You do realize that in late 1986 and 1987 a full boat AE86 GT-S carried an MSRP of $14,000!!!

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/3/11 6:54 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: If they really are trying to capture the essence of the original, their HP is actually kind of on target. Where they need to be focused on is the KISS mentality. The original 'rolla was a teensy, mediocre power, lightweight. Its selling point was it was a blank canvas. It was minimalist, it was fun, and it was not trying to be a supra or a 3 series or a benz. It was just simple. That thing looks a little on the flamboyant side to be honest. But Ive never brought show to a go fight. If its light enough, and fun enough that a bill seventy can do the job, Im all for it. just keep the sticker down where it belongs FOR A COROLLA, and Im in.
z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
3/3/11 6:54 p.m.

Also very true. Hopefully an STi swap won't be too difficult since another EJ motor will have been there to begin with.

sanman
sanman New Reader
3/3/11 9:36 p.m.

Well, it sounds as if there might be a Subaru STI version of the the coupe if some older Road & Track spy shots are to be believed.

Warning!!!: Not even the STI motor made me want to own that much ugliness. I vomited in my mouth.

Spied Subaru STI Coupe

GlennS
GlennS Dork
3/3/11 10:12 p.m.

i wouldn't base an opinion on how pretty a car will be based on a test mule, covered in camo, that may not share a single body pannel with the final product.

Lets hope for 2600 pounds, a rev happy n/a motor with 185+ horses, and loss leader pricing.

21k Toyota.... You can do it!

sanman
sanman New Reader
3/3/11 10:42 p.m.
GlennS wrote: i wouldn't base an opinion on how pretty a car will be based on a test mule, covered in camo, that may not share a single body pannel with the final product. Lets hope for 2600 pounds, a rev happy n/a motor with 185+ horses, and loss leader pricing. 21k Toyota.... You can do it!

Not suggesting that the finished product will be anything close. I just think that is the ugliest test mule I have ever seen.

GlennS
GlennS Dork
3/3/11 10:43 p.m.

In reply to sanman:

point taken

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/4/11 9:40 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: But I guess really my question would be, those of you saying "the numbers look fine to me," are you actually going to buy one, assuming they drive/handle like they should?

I'm trying to position myself to be able to buy a new (at least to me) car next year. I'd really like to be able to justify a new-off-the-lot something or other. This currently has a reserved seat on the short list pending what it's final numbers turn out like.

rogerbvonceg
rogerbvonceg Reader
3/4/11 12:33 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: Im all for it. just keep the sticker down where it belongs FOR A COROLLA, and Im in.
You do realize that in late 1986 and 1987 a full boat AE86 GT-S carried an MSRP of $14,000!!!

Which is around $26k in 2009 dollars, according to http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/4/11 12:50 p.m.
rogerbvonceg wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Which is around $26k in 2009 dollars, according to http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi

Yes, but this is also when a regular Corolla sold for under $5k, which is still under $10k in modern monies.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/4/11 3:16 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
rogerbvonceg wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:
Yes, but this is also when a regular Corolla sold for under $5k, which is still under $10k in modern monies.

Ed Zachary. give us a $18k stripper model, and a $25k "SR5" version. I'll take mine with a slice of cheap please

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
3/4/11 4:21 p.m.

Yeah, to be perfectly honest, what I want is a Hyundai Accent, only RWD. If they can sell a manual-tranny, no A/C, crank window Accent for <$10k, I can't see turning the motor sideways and adding a driveshaft doubling the price.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/4/11 4:39 p.m.

I'll reserve my final judgment for when this thing is available. For right now, with those projected specs, it's well on its way to being a cute 'chick' car. Hopefully it will be available (meaning on an actual lot) with a manual.

Bet you a dollar that it comes with DSC standard, and an open rear diff.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
3/4/11 5:10 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Yeah, to be perfectly honest, what I want is a Hyundai Accent, only RWD. If they can sell a manual-tranny, no A/C, crank window Accent for <$10k, I can't see turning the motor sideways and adding a driveshaft doubling the price.

+thirteenty billion (because eleventy billion just doesnt get the point across adequately)

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
4/20/11 11:38 a.m.

More concept renderings:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/20/scion-fr-s-concept-leaks-ahead-of-new-york-unveiling/

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 12:26 p.m.

I'm with the author, I'm over all the "concept" releases.

Just show us the damn car and tell us the specs and when it will be available.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
4/20/11 1:05 p.m.

Yeah, they released specs... if you care about the height and width of the car. Still no word on curb weight or power.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
4/20/11 1:06 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: I'm with the author, I'm over all the "concept" releases. Just show us the damn car and tell us the specs and when it will be available.

The show starts tomorrow so we should know soon.....

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
4/20/11 1:37 p.m.

^You think they are going to finally give us that info?

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Production Editor
4/20/11 1:42 p.m.

Scion FR-S looks like another concept, 18-inch carbon front brakes?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yCB2GaV8t9jDuxYLDVGmOI0CeVRJQFwYJMINFyfPzPjxqkU9PBrQ0uXolQS4aQOR