ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/18/08 10:51 a.m.

I'm picking up a 3TC (1.8) to put into my '84 Corolla.

I'd love to get some advice here about what to do to the engine before I put it in the car. It's purportedly a good running engine.

My plan is to take it apart, clean, inspect, put it back together and run it. I figure at minimum new gaskets, bearings, and rings will be in order (and a bottle-brush at-home hone job). Probably a timing set and oil pump too. If anybody knows of the parts hookup for this stuff, let me know.

I'd also like to talk about cams and stuff. I hear folks say parts are cheap for these engines, but what I've seen suggests otherwise. I'd like to find the best bang for the buck I can here. I'm not planning to spend a bunch of money, but rather, well-placed money.

The car will see daily driver duty, but I'd like it to have a little bit of go. The fact that I'm putting it in an AE71 Chassis, pretty much mandates that I'll be using a header (and I'll have to modify the header to clear the steering).

I have a Weber carburetor I found at a pick-n-pull type place...I think it's a 32/36 with a hot-water choke.

Let me do a rundown of the package I plan:

Stock weight '83 Corolla (rear drive)
3TC Engine
T50 5 Speed Transmission
Weber 32/36 Carburetor
Cheap Header (modified for this application)
Hopefully a cam that will help a bit with streetable torque and power (need some direction here)

I'm NOT planning to go Turbo. I MAY think about EFI down the line...but not soon and not sure.

So...I don't think I'll need to get crazy with the bottom end. Should stock rod and main bolts be fine for me?

Mostly I'm needing cheap parts sources and any "Must do" stuff while I'm in there that will save me trouble down the line.

I AM aware of www.toyota3tc.com, and I am a member there. I do appreciate the GRM forum community though and value y'all's input...

Thanks for any discussion, Clem

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
12/18/08 11:00 a.m.

I'm not sure you could hurt that motor even intentionally. Your current refresh plans are pretty much the max of what I'd personally do.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/18/08 1:23 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: I'm not sure you could hurt that motor even intentionally.

Though that sounds like a personal challenge...I think you're probably right ;).

Clem

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/18/08 1:32 p.m.

I'm betting the bearings are still well within spec and swapping them out would be looser.

Will that T50 bolt up to the 3T block? If that T50 was behind a 4A block, I don't think it will.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/18/08 2:47 p.m.

Dr. Hess...You're probably right about the bearings. I guess I'll get some plastigauge or something and check them out (or borrow a mic from work and see how bad my measuring skills are).

The T50 is coming with the 3TC. The AE71 (Quite the anomoly...one year only "E" body car with an A engine in it. Has neat Rack and Peanut steering, but a slug of a single cam 4A) has a 4AC/Auto in it now. So...I'll be looking for a clutch pedal setup as well...

Things I know I'll need (in case anyone has some clutter they need to get rid of):
TE or AE Clutch Pedal Setup
Header or exhaust manifold to clear the column (I'll modify a cheap header designed for the TE)
Front Half of Driveshaft (or have a one-piece made up...anybody have bad experience with one peice driveshafts in oldschool toyotas?)
A new Clutch (The clutch was shot when the donor engine's car was taken off the road)
Cutch Master Cylinder
And I'd love to find a mild cam for it

I'm getting a pile of parts with the engine and transmission. I'm not sure what all that consists of yet. Can't wait to see the grab-bag ;).

Clem

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/18/08 3:19 p.m.

I think I have a steering column for that car. And a transmission, but you can't have that, it's my spare and it's a T50 from behind the A block. The rest of that car was made into Chinese razorblades long ago, unfortunately, or you could have pulled the whole pedal assembly from it.

Be careful looking for your front driveshaft. T50's came with two different output splines. I forget the breakdown, but the early ones had 2 teeth less, I think. Might be 21 v. 23 splines, but I haven't looked into that for years so count the splines on your trans and go from there.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/08 3:55 p.m.
ClemSparks wrote: I'd love to get some advice here about what to do to the engine before I put it in the car. It's purportedly a good running engine. My plan is to take it apart, clean, inspect, put it back together and run it. I figure at minimum new gaskets, bearings, and rings will be in order (and a bottle-brush at-home hone job). Probably a timing set and oil pump too. If anybody knows of the parts hookup for this stuff, let me know.

i'd skip everything in bold, and go with just reseal and paint. seriously.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
12/18/08 8:44 p.m.

They put A-blocks in pre-AE86 Corollas? I thought all xE71s were TE71s, and came with 2T-Cs.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/19/08 2:39 a.m.

Dexter, 1983 had an AE71 with the old body style, but the new block and the new steering....well, at least a version of the new rack and pinion. Same old axle, trans, and suspension familiar to RWD TE and AE owners of both generations.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
12/19/08 8:22 a.m.

Yeah, Dexter, it was the 4A or 4AC motor, 3 rib block, single OHC, carb, same T50 trans as the eight six.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f9c6iOuXNKS2u4m6ysu1COZkDaIsRk6HMuklC7TyGnHkl1F5NW0rFX73MwGzTtXN