vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
9/11/12 9:25 a.m.

Due to some recent (and major) changes in my life, I am once again able to have some fun

So to start, I decided I want to try my hand at the dirt 3/8 mi track-looks like a cheap and fun way for some wheel to wheel action-far from a nascar fan, but add a little demolition derby to it and the fun factor expands considerably!

Bought a 85 Corolla-not the fastest on the track, but might be the lightest-but 90% ready to run (need current belts and a timing belt, jumped a tooth) for under $500 made it way more appealing.

Thinking back to my days thrashing on 20R's I remember bending a rod on the carb that opened secondaries almost instantly-completely squashing fuel mileage but made it a ton more responsive.....but my memory isnt what it used to be, and I dont want to screw up the fresh rebuilt carb it came with.

Any old toyota guys know what I am talking about? Or any other tricks to wake up the 4A? It has to appear stock, but I bet I could swap a 4AG and the tech inspectors wouldnt know the difference.....(maybe later)

Gotta give the SOHC Neon that is completely dominating the class a run-if I can!

tiny pic for clicks-stolen from the c-list ad

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/11/12 9:27 a.m.

4AF or 4AC? Both are pretty short on potential though so don't get your hopes up...

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
9/11/12 9:29 a.m.

4AC I think......only had time to pick up the car, drive it off the trailer and park it

trust me, I worked for Toyota when these were still coming in the dealer for service-hopes are not too high

GameboyRMH
9/11/12 9:35 a.m.

How open are you to changing parts? There's little to nothing you can do with the existing parts, swapping cams or carbs are the best bet, turbos work OK.

The easiest way to free up power would be to change to an electric radiator fan. All you can really do on the carb is an emissions delete and choke delete, and maybe a less restrictive filter.

GameboyRMH
9/11/12 9:40 a.m.

Hey check this out, guy does emissions delete, changes the filter housing and removes the electric carb heater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6bJL_PHMG8

Be ready to put the heater back if you get any carb icing though.

vdubinsd
vdubinsd New Reader
9/11/12 9:45 a.m.

Race car only-when you worry about ice the season is over anyway....

turbo might be spotted by the tech guys....

has electric fan, transverse setup..already came up with ghetto fab cone filter-just need to cut hole it hood

GameboyRMH
9/11/12 9:48 a.m.
vdubinsd wrote: Race car only-when you worry about ice the season is over anyway....

You can get ice if it's hot and humid, it doesn't need to be cold.

Sounds like most of the easy power has already been claimed for you.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FkZC5NYO6aOM1td0orJJtScfs8vx9E2wcS2ppSOoY1IXDHGLQhRLeC7k1pf5Skij