1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/28/14 12:09 p.m.

I still like how it looks. And for those who missed it, this is going to share a platform with the BMW Z4:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/toyobimmer-is-coming/88669/page1/

jsquared
jsquared New Reader
8/29/14 5:00 p.m.
bgkast wrote: They need to loose the Gonzo nose!

Motion seconded. Otherwise it's tolerable, production toned-down version would probably look good.

Bi-turbo V6 and under $40k would be nice. If the BMW/Z4 tie up is true, it could possibly end up with a turbo I-6, which would be quite nice as long as the weight distribution is kept in check (turbo I-6 with a transaxle? DOOOO IT! lol)

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/1/14 6:40 p.m.

I hate this. People forgot how to design cars once everyone started to watch Gundam Wing apparently.

Opti
Opti Reader
9/1/14 9:37 p.m.

I used to think it was ugly, then I read that they tried to make it look like an F1 car with fully enclosed body work, then some of the styling cues made sense.

Im on the fence with whether i like it or not.

GameboyRMH
9/2/14 7:55 a.m.

This car has the most divisive styling ever. I'm trying really hard to see how it's ugly but I just can't see it. Can't see a Gonzo nose either...the nose is less prominent than the Mercedes SLK or SLR

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
9/2/14 8:09 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: This car has the most divisive styling ever. I'm trying really hard to see how it's ugly but I just can't see it. Can't see a Gonzo nose either...the nose is less prominent than the Mercedes SLK or SLR

Agreed. It's "over the top", but for whatever reason I can't bring myself to call it ugly or say I hate it.

GameboyRMH
9/2/14 8:19 a.m.

I will go on record as liking over-the-top cars. Especially when most cars are so bland they don't even throw us a doggie biscuit of excitement. I was disappointed to see the Toyobaru toned down from the FRS-2 concept.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
9/2/14 8:24 a.m.

I just don't care for all the holes and nostrils and etc. To me, form follows function as in: an opening should have a clearly defined function, i.e. cool air in hot air out and unless I miss my guess there is very little functional about any of the design elements, they are there only for the 'gee whiz' factor. Simpler = better.

For that reason, do not want. The Mazda Funai has a much cleaner and more purposeful (i.e. less 'boy racer') look IMHO thus ticks more of the right boxes for me.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
9/2/14 8:40 a.m.

Yes

GameboyRMH
9/2/14 10:01 a.m.

It's not strictly a form-follows-function car but I don't see any nonfunctional vents, other than maybe the side vents at the front (could be a good place for auxiliary coolers, but there don't appear to be any in place). This is assuming the wheel well exhaust vents are real.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/14 10:05 a.m.

I completely love it. If you're going to have an insanely fast car, make it look special. The question is, does Toyota have the balls to produce something that looks like this? I say no. Conservatism will win again, this will end up in the boneyard of dreams alongside the Mazda Furai, and we'll end up with another gussied up Supra.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/14 10:09 a.m.

What Toyota needs to understand is that in the supercar class of vehicle (which this looks like) they do not have to be conservative. There are probably 50,000 people in the world who appreciate fine cars and have the scratch to easily spring for one of these. If 45,000 of them hate it, but the other 5000 can't live without it, they'll have a success on their hands. DO IT!

GameboyRMH
9/2/14 10:26 a.m.

This doesn't need to be supercar-class. Lose the powered spoiler and it could pass for a mid-range sports car, somewhere between an S2k and a base Corvette. LCD screen instruments and HUDs aren't supercar stuff anymore, the bloody Civic has them these days. An auto-raising spoiler is very expensive, but swap it for a fixed spoiler and it's cheap again and not much is lost.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
9/2/14 12:09 p.m.

Gonna look pretty dorky with a front plate on it, in areas that require that.

Give it handling and a decent engine and sell it against the BRZ/FRS twins and it could be a winner.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
9/2/14 6:40 p.m.

I love the styling, but they will kill plenty of the aggressiveness like someone mentioned before. It's not a Camry, so it shouldn't be a conservative design when they approve the production version.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
67m0XxyGNwFRpyhyHmJUGMH7mFuol1HVGek1AjiPz4XvvmWzmCcfEadwaGxmLvlr