1 2 3
oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
8/15/13 6:05 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: Whaspat about the smaller one? A new MR2...or Starlet? It would be the first RWD hot hatch in decades!
Gazoo Racing said:

PLEASE.... please, please, please, please, please

http://gazoo.com/racing/english/grmn/lineup/frhh.asp

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/15/13 7:15 p.m.

For the love of god Toyota build something exciting WITHOUT a Subaru engine.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/13 8:31 p.m.
kevlarcorolla wrote: For the love of god Toyota build something exciting WITHOUT a Subaru engine.

But Toyota hasn't made an exciting engine since the 4AGE.

Knurled
8/15/13 8:32 p.m.
nocones wrote: That RX-7 is as ugly as the 3rd Gen RX-7 was pretty.

I'm trying to figure this out... so you like the RX-7 concept?

/no edges, no sale

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
8/15/13 8:49 p.m.

I kinda like the RX7 concept. The greenhouse needs to be taller but otherwise it looks pretty decent. A few wrecked ones with 16X motors could keep me rotardin' for a while...

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 8:59 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
kevlarcorolla wrote: For the love of god Toyota build something exciting WITHOUT a Subaru engine.
But Toyota hasn't made an exciting engine since the 4AGE.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong!

2zzge.
3sgte.
BEAMS 3sge.
2grfse.
Whatever is in the lfa and isf.
2jz no E36 M3!

Knurled
8/15/13 9:12 p.m.

2JZs are truck engines... any engine that can make 1000hp on stock internals is too overbuilt to be fun to drive.

That's my prejudiced opinion and I'm sticking to it.

(says the guy who drives a 13B with aluminum flywheel and ITBs and doesn't think it's very responsive because 600cc bike engines rev more quickly)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/15/13 9:20 p.m.

A 1FZ is a truck engine. And it's berkeleying AWESOME.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/15/13 9:23 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: Whaspat about the smaller one? A new MR2...or Starlet? It would be the first RWD hot hatch in decades!
Gazoo Racing said:
PLEASE.... please, please, please, please, please http://gazoo.com/racing/english/grmn/lineup/frhh.asp

I love the idea, but that is one ugly car.....like someone with a Yaris got a sponsorship with APC and Pep Boys.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
8/15/13 9:26 p.m.

Sorry,owned one Subaru and that mistake won't happen again.Most of my Toyota experience is with 3sgte's and 4ag's,no reason for them not to come up with something modern to push that boat anchor boxer out the back door.

The0retical
The0retical HalfDork
8/15/13 9:37 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

Ick it looks like a Camaro had a Mazda 6 front end grafted onto it.

I'm not a huge fan of the Kodo design. It would probably be unique and better looking if it were just on the Mazda 6 but since Mazda has now adopted the mentality that "you are too stupid to know this is Mazda unless they all share some design feature so we're going to beat it into your face like we beat this grill onto our designers otherwise beautiful design" it got old in a hurry. That sad considering the new 3 isn't even out yet IMO.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/13 8:26 a.m.

I could see Toyota remaking the Supra but I don't see the smaller one happening. Also I will believe it when I see them on the showroom floor kinda like I will believe Alfa is coming back to the states when they are sitting in showrooms.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
8/16/13 8:39 a.m.

Honestly if Toyota were to make a billion RWD Camrys I'd be ok with that. Any RWD car can be made fun with suspension work.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/16/13 8:59 a.m.
Knurled wrote: 2JZs are truck engines... any engine that can make 1000hp on stock internals is too overbuilt to be fun to drive. That's my prejudiced opinion and I'm sticking to it. (says the guy who drives a 13B with aluminum flywheel and ITBs and doesn't think it's very responsive because 600cc bike engines rev more quickly)

Engine hipster.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/16/13 8:59 a.m.
92dxman wrote: I believe the IS is available with a manual trans but only with the smaller motor (250) and 2wd. It isn't available with the larger motor (350) and awd. I know of someone who has one and they seem to enjoy it.

Maybe in the past, but not according to the current web site: 6 spd flappy paddle for the IS250 and 8 spd "direct shift" (dual clutch?) for the IS-F.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/16/13 9:05 a.m.
Knurled wrote: (says the guy who drives a 13B with aluminum flywheel and ITBs and doesn't think it's very responsive because 600cc bike engines rev more quickly)

Remember that guy who synched a bunch of chainsaw motors?....... Just sayin

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
8/16/13 9:17 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Knurled wrote: 2JZs are truck engines... any engine that can make 1000hp on stock internals is too overbuilt to be fun to drive. That's my prejudiced opinion and I'm sticking to it. (says the guy who drives a 13B with aluminum flywheel and ITBs and doesn't think it's very responsive because 600cc bike engines rev more quickly)
Engine hipster.

Lol. I'm pretty sure its the equivalent of "elbows too pointy"

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/16/13 10:35 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Engine hipster.
Lol. I'm pretty sure its the equivalent of "elbows too pointy"

2/10 WOULD NOT BANG

carbon
carbon New Reader
8/16/13 12:45 p.m.

It broke my heart when they announced that the gt86 would be so subaru part intensive. I was hoping for a 3zzgte or an next gen aluminum beams and double wishbones. Seems to me that the fact that toyota needs to farm out sportscars brings shame on their house. You hear a lot of people talk about toyota being a boring company, I think historically that is very inaccurate. 2000gt, 1st gen celicas, ae86, fj40, supra, all tracs, mr2s, 4runners with removable hardtops fzj80, matrix, is300, isf, lfa. what a diverse and exciting line up theyve had through out the years. But look at the line up now, its like they think producing an interesting car will scare the old folks out of buying a camry. I think for the future of enthusiast cars, toyota is at a crossroads. In order to save their souls, they need to build (not berkleying outsource) an analog sportscar like a powerful and high revving (at least 400+hp and 9000rpm) big brother to the gt86 with tactile steering and a visceral driving experience. make it light weight and low tech, make room for big tires, make it stout enough to handle big power, and make it fairly reasonably priced. Not a halo car. Just a statement that they havent lost the path.

carbon
carbon New Reader
8/16/13 12:47 p.m.

And for the love of god, not a berkleying hybrid!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/16/13 1:52 p.m.

To be fair the Toyobaru is about as low-tech as is legally allowed these days, and already has room for big tires.

Knurled
8/16/13 2:10 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Engine hipster.

Yeah, I've been playing with rotaries for fifteen years, they're handbuilt engines that don't have valves. You've probably never heard of them, but they're big in Japan.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/16/13 2:14 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Engine hipster.
Yeah, I've been playing with rotaries for fifteen years, they're handbuilt engines that don't have valves. You've probably never heard of them, but they're big in Japan.

LOL!!!!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
8/16/13 2:16 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Yeah, I've been playing with rotaries for fifteen years, they're handbuilt engines that don't have valves. You've probably never heard of them, but they're big in Japan.

yeah... they wear out so quickly you need a spare or 2 in the garage jic

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/16/13 2:18 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
Engine hipster.

The redline is way too high to be any fun.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yOkREbj430O67LBbGJ9NkYLFyc5L7woI9YdL2XanMEPPz4XdfWk39tGYqHUcZCMt