1 2
sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
2/7/16 10:30 a.m.

You live exactly one time as far as I can tell, so do both.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/9/16 9:53 a.m.

This has been very helpful. I think that keeping the camaro is the way to go. It will not be a daily driver or even driven on the street that often. I'm retiring my G8 and getting a used truck for daily driving. The Camaro is a bit underpowered by today's standards but it is not a slouch. Parts are not that expensive and are readily available. Although it may be nice to have it and a newer sports car, I think I will reach a storage saturation point when I get a truck. I'm still a bit attached to my old cutlass and G8.

PushrodRWD
PushrodRWD New Reader
2/9/16 10:27 a.m.

This has been very helpful. I think that keeping the camaro is the way to go. It will not be a daily driver or even driven on the street that often. I'm retiring my G8 and getting a used truck for daily driving. The Camaro is a bit underpowered by today's standards but it is not a slouch. Parts are not that expensive and are readily available. Although it may be nice to have it and a newer sports car, I think I will reach a storage saturation point when I get a truck. I'm still a bit attached to my old cutlass and G8.

calteg
calteg Dork
2/9/16 10:39 a.m.
PushrodRWD wrote: In reply to calteg: That is the problem... As was stated elwhere I could run the nicer car at 80% but as someone else mentioned, and I have witnessed, the do-do do happen....

Ego is a real sonofabitch. When the guy in the well driven Neon passes you, are you sure the red mist won't kick in?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/9/16 1:17 p.m.

I think that's a good call.

I've seen an incident where something broke from an off at all but 1 of the track days I worked this year. Most of the time it's not a big thing like a wheel getting bent or a control arm etc. But, all it takes is one little bigger off and hitting that rut off the racing surface and then you have subframe and metal damage. My neighbor is on his second miata this year from an off but he's not a very good driver. :P

It's never planned but when it happens it sucks.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/9/16 1:29 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111:

I should have noted I'm now running a TurnOne PS pump as well. Fried my stocker at the first event of the year last season (in ~30 degree ambient temps no less.)

JBasham
JBasham New Reader
2/9/16 2:25 p.m.

Here's my experience. I have been doing HPDE actively for the last 3 summers.

I have a 2013 E92 M3 and whenever I track it, I pay $400-$500 for a track policy. That hurts, but I have seen other drivers total the same model, in the same sessions I was driving in at the time. One guy was doing nothing out of line and his car wound up a burned-out hulk.

I was looking at a future of paying that track policy premium 5-6 times a year. That seemed like a lot to me so I started building a budget HPDE ride and it's almost done. It will take me about 1.5 summers to recover my build costs (but I will have to pay $300/year for liability insurance if I want to register it for the street).

If I screw up and total it, I can get a new chassis for $1000 and transplant the performance parts into it myself, no prob.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/9/16 2:30 p.m.

GT350, if you can afford the track insurance, deductible and consumables.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DTYSN95DLowjKRp4aM5mPMbV16rYih8d7GfE3VUl0ZcFgI6zJuS7yBthUbwDY0XU