Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 2:59 p.m.

Just venting here...

Tomorrow, I was planning to do my last track day of the season and my last one ever with this car, but it looks like the day is going to be a total washout.

Damn.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 3:02 p.m.

That doesn't stop us down here

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
10/24/08 3:26 p.m.

autocross tomorrow for me and the weather report is showing thunderstorms

we will run in the wet, but NOT in lightening!

that said, this same event the other year was called halfway through due to a 60-70mph wind gust...
the porto johns were racing each other across the parking lot,

my friend who was on course got to deal with a moving slalom,

my other friend narrowly dodged some blue paper from when the john finally blew over,

I had to hunt for my floormats (even my superthick pile cobra mats blew a ways away

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/08 4:22 p.m.

We'll cancel if there's frozen involved. Rain, okay. But ice? No.

Here's what we had to deal with at our last autocross. At one point, you could only see to the next gate, no further.

Don't get lost, here's what the fog is hiding...

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
10/24/08 4:22 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: my friend who was on course got to deal with a moving slalom,

For hard core Autocrossers ONLY.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
10/24/08 4:26 p.m.

i have been to an autocross that was help on ice and snow in an unplowed lot. its lots of fun and talk about frezzing your ass off though. and just before i bailed it started snowing really good. The cool thing was is that i was able to show the owner of the sentra how to get around the course. he was to use to ice racing....but he still came back and kicked my butt...sigh...

that fog shot is priceless. how did anyone know cones where dead in that?

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/24/08 5:32 p.m.
ckosacranoid wrote: that fog shot is priceless. how did anyone know cones where dead in that?

What, don't you guys walk the course?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/24/08 8:02 p.m.

I've autocrossed in sleet before, but I'm not going on the track with 25 other cars when it's 48 degrees and raining with 20 mph winds.

....in a car that's for sale.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
10/24/08 8:12 p.m.

I'll be out in hershey tomorrow with the miata running an autox, looks like rain all day long. I haven't run one in this car and the rain sound make it really interesting.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
10/24/08 8:12 p.m.

Don't let a little rain stop you.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/24/08 9:51 p.m.

A long time ago, when I lived in Atlanta, I remember stopping at the end of the driveway because snow was falling. I thought for a minute and then went inside and grabbed my coat. We autocrossed anyway. No real snow accumulated, but the course did have to snake around some ice.

mastaofdisasta
mastaofdisasta
10/24/08 11:34 p.m.

My 2nd autox of my "career" is tomorrow and im just praying that there is no lightning, as it is guarenteed to rain....Golly gee i want it to be dry tho.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
10/25/08 5:34 a.m.

Last one of the season for me tomorrow too. Calling for showers all day and 55 temp. Here in Detroit that's a blessing. It could easily be freezing and snow.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
10/25/08 8:49 a.m.

The most fun I've ever had at a track day was in driving rain and about 50 degree temperatures. You could just barely see from one corner worker to the next. In fact, we'd started late waiting for a fog to lift that was so thick you couldn't see from one corner worker to the next.

I was in an $1800 Miata on brand new RA1s. The car would skip down the front straight like a rock on a pond. I'd have to coast a few car lengths before braking to make sure I was firmly in contact with the road. Everybody but an S4, and an Evo, and I had put it up by then.

I'll invite you to take a guess who was fastest. Clue: it was the one that didn't have to drive his car to work the next day.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/25/08 9:07 a.m.

Almost all of the events I've run had at least some rain. Even on that AutoX my sig pic comes from where all the foliage in the background is scorched dead, it rained a bit on that day.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam Dork
10/25/08 2:02 p.m.

Rain? You're worried about rain?

That was the January 2005 blizzard the Northeast got. When I showed up at the site that morning, it wasn't even snowing. At 2 pm when we called the event, there was 10" on the ground. Nothing like a 110-mile drive up I-95 in a blizzard in a LOWERED Saturn.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/08 8:01 p.m.

I remember a snow squall that came through an open practise up at NHIS years back. What a mess that was. Coming in to 10 I set the car turned wards the apex and put the power down. There was no apex to see or get to. I went in to the snow and just went spinning out into the north oval. As fast as it came it was gone. 20 minutes later the track was clear and we were off and running again.

Rangeball
Rangeball New Reader
10/25/08 8:30 p.m.

First track event I ever did was in the pouring rain.

Ahh good times

slantvaliant
slantvaliant New Reader
10/25/08 10:21 p.m.

Use the force, Luke

NY535iManual
NY535iManual New Reader
10/25/08 10:28 p.m.

BMW Oktoberfest at the Glen this year and it rained buckets on Sunday, my first time at the Glen and first time driving my new (to me) M3. Buttocks...clenched.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0DoTYBdLUwXLNbwPJcqymyxGuUbEGdloP4hNpLZ1Z4m9sZ0XzbGUuF9TQNficZGR