Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
3/25/15 1:18 p.m.

As you will soon read in the new issue of Grassroots Motorsports, the SCCA has started a great new program called track Night in America. Presented by The Tire Rack, The first of these programs, designed to bring newcomers into our world, will be at AMP on April 7th. The second, will be at PBIR (Palm Beach, FL) on Thursday night April 9th. most of the GRM crew is planning on attending this second event. We would love to invite all of our readers to attend and you might just see your picture in the magazine, as we are planning story about these first events. Details are at the SCCA's website. www.scca.com

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/25/15 1:32 p.m.

If there were one closer to me I'd go on general principle. Sounds like a good program.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 1:58 p.m.

If they have one at Lime Rock I will try to sneak out after work.

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/25/15 2:26 p.m.

Not even considering it. If I were, I would have to close my office for most of the day to get to Willows

better link track night

MattGent
MattGent Reader
3/25/15 3:04 p.m.

Glad you posted this - I'm 20 minutes from PBIR and hadn't heard about this.

The tech form link is broken/missing...anyone know what the rollbar rules are (Miata)?

Do you need to be an SCCA member?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/25/15 3:12 p.m.

I'm going to be working at MSR Cresson, so... Yes. It'll be literally across the paddock/street.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/15 4:37 p.m.

I asked Heyward at SCCA about the Miata. His reply:

NA and NB cars require either a four point roll bar or a hard top. NC cars are good with the factory rollbars.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/25/15 4:41 p.m.

I'm going to try... IT depends heavily upon completing some work to my car :/

Toebra
Toebra New Reader
3/25/15 4:58 p.m.

Open cars need a hardtop(as if that is rollover protection) if they do not have factory rollover protection. I don't think any of the Miatas "factory rollover protection" would be adequate. Don't think you need to be a member of SCCA, I believe they are trying to get new members with this event.

Go to the link in my previous post and click on the "need to know" drop down at the top, maybe contact them.

I would probably go if the car was put together, the heck with working.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
3/25/15 9:52 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I asked Heyward at SCCA about the Miata. His reply: NA and NB cars require either a four point roll bar or a hard top. NC cars are good with the factory rollbars.

Obviously not critiquing you directly, but that's got to be one of the dumbest rules in amateur road racing. That Miata hardtop provides about as much rollover protection as a pizza box.

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
3/25/15 11:19 p.m.

I signed up to do the paced laps (free) at AMP. I didn't think it was a very good deal for the other two options though. $150 for three 20 minute sessions on a week-night? There are entire track days in that price range if you shop around or go to the smaller tracks...

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
3/26/15 5:37 a.m.

You can hardly walk in the gate at PBIR for less than $150.

MattGent
MattGent Reader
3/26/15 6:42 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I asked Heyward at SCCA about the Miata. His reply: NA and NB cars require either a four point roll bar or a hard top. NC cars are good with the factory rollbars.

Thanks. I have a hardtop and a 4pt autopower bar w/SFI padding, but its an older one and I don't think it meets their PDX requirements (no harness bar or diagonal).

Now to get new tires, alignment, and track down my ignition problem in 2wks...

84FSP
84FSP Reader
3/26/15 6:52 a.m.

This sounds like an incredible event and I hope it gets brought to other tracks and regions. Eagles Canyon Raceway in North Dallas instituted a similar event for Saturday afternoons following the Dallas Cars N Coffee. The events were always a success and brought a bunch of new folks into the scene.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/26/15 7:23 a.m.

Sounds like a great new program. The 6 hr each way drive to the nearest track is too far for me to consider it though. CMP is about 3 hours away and that is probably too far for me to try this even if it came to CMP.

former520
former520 Reader
3/26/15 5:00 p.m.

They have them starting at the hottest time of the day during the hottest time of the year for the Phoenix events. Asphalt at 3pm in Phoenix summer is considered a liquid.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
3/26/15 9:15 p.m.

Hmmm. If I can get out of work early, 3 hour drive to Atlanta, beat on the car, 3 hour drive back to Knoxville, go to bed, get up, drink coffee

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
3/26/15 10:27 p.m.

Great idea IMO. I'd prefer weekend nights and would make it to the PBIR event if I wasn't so indulged in a think called work :(. Maybe they'll do the Daytona PDX course one of these nights. That would be tits.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ty4O1Tyh7iR6nVVFdDuwfYTs0ufOykNpd2Q186qNeFA2OxpOIB8O0ulJln1xRPKZ