jdogg
jdogg New Reader
4/25/20 3:53 p.m.

I have a 1993 Probe GT I have been building and Im getting tubular LCAs made for it. They have an option for a traction bar bracket, will I get any advantages on a FWD platorm using traction bars in an HPDE environment? I'm at about 200whp right now and no plans for 1/4 mile racing.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/25/20 9:43 p.m.

My  thought is no. On a road course one doesn't put the kind of abrupt loads in the car like a drag launch would. I would see if other Probe GT guys have ever experienced wheel hop on a road course.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
4/26/20 12:34 p.m.

Taction bars are for drag racing.

On a FWD car,they probably would not be much help.

Road course, NO

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/27/20 7:46 a.m.

Many of the FWD "traction bars" are more about removing compliance from the suspension bushings, which would also be beneficial for handling. How exactly does the setup you're looking at work?

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/27/20 8:09 a.m.

Agreed with the above that depending on the design it may be counter productive. 

"Traction bars" are generally helpful in keeping the front control arms from pulling forward under immense acceleration. They can be used on street cars because you can leave your compliant control arm bushings, and use the 3rd pivot of the traction bar to limit the forward movement. Once we go from compliant bushings to spherical on the drag cars, the traction bars are removed (unless we are running tubular arms with more flex than we want, then they are kept).

The front pivot of the traction bar needs to be in line with the other two pivots of the LCA or there will be binding in the suspension. Generally this takes a proper front crossmember with the mounts perfectly located, and may need other components moved to get to the right geometry. 

jdogg
jdogg New Reader
4/27/20 12:27 p.m.

That's what I thought guys.

Most Probes aren't making anywhere near enough power to need traction bars.

This will be on a car that makes 500whp but won't be using that 500whp until about 2 miles into the Bonneville course. On a road course I will have it turned down to 350whp, or I will set up a boost-by-gear setup. GRM saves the day, see you on the track

Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter)
Paul_VR6 (Forum Supporter) Dork
4/27/20 1:12 p.m.

If you are never racing from a dead stop, likely very much not needed. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pd9IzLWengn1APhlr4l4Vtx8TpOVGjNg57ZGvtuDqS5WNeUZOGiFw0lEuXCElBN4