1 2
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/27/09 11:06 a.m.

well now that im single and driving around a honda fit that i do enjoy but mainly purchased for the succubus that broke my heart, i'm contemplating of getting rid of it. I have a 6 mile daily commute now and would love something that has just as much space or more. The plan was to give the Fit to the woman once we got engaged and crap since I wouldn't be commuting anymore and she would. Now that's done and over with I have a lot more options, a lot more of a budget, and etc.

Whats the GRMer take on this vehicle? LS2 should say all right?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/27/09 11:11 a.m.

Neato trucks. LS2 + AWD = teh awesome! Depreciation was wicked on them, which makes them super cheap for us. I'd say DO IT!

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
5/27/09 11:22 a.m.

They are also available in RWD which is what I would choose for sunny FL. I imagine you will go through more tires and less transmissions/transfer cases that way. I test drove one when they were new. Fast, fast trucks with a real tow rating.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
5/27/09 11:26 a.m.

went around lil talledega in one, wet my pants...

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
5/27/09 11:26 a.m.

They came in full time AWD and 2wd. Either way they are gas guzzlers (like 15-16mpg).

My best friend just bought an AWD with around 50k miles for under $17k. An awesome performance truck for that cash. Driving it you wouldn't know how heavy it was! The power is amazing and it handles like no bloated SUV should.

They can have tranny woes, especially the AWD ones if you beat on it or mod it much. Stock and no burnouts should be fine.

I'd say it would be a great truck to get the frustration out. The best part about it is that even though it is a full blown performance truck it can still tow a lot (6000lbs) which is just icing on the cake.

Have fun!

TR3only
TR3only Reader
5/27/09 11:30 a.m.

Personally, I'm split over the various models of "late model" SS Chevys. IF, I was deadset on a TrailBlazer, yeah, go the SS as it really personifies the BIG engine in a "biggish" body, of the original SS's back in the early '60s.

Having lived and driven on rainy Florida roads, I'm not sure I'd go for the 2WD...unless it was a killer deal. If it had to be an SS....I'd go for something like a Malibu or Malibu MAXX.

Be sure to get BLACK.

RussellH
RussellH Reader
5/27/09 11:35 a.m.

I maybe the weird one here but does it really make sense to have an SS model or the SRT (Jeep) model or the S (Canyenne) etc on SUVs and trucks? What does it really get you in the end? Exactly, it gets you straight line power in a crossover truck that has ground clearance too low for off-road use and too high for handling the curves.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/27/09 11:40 a.m.

FUN?1? maybe? I just found a few for cheap around here in Silver (the color I want, i've had way to many black cars in florida). That is why I was asking. I was driving my dad's avalanche this past weekend while he was out of town and I really enjoyed it minus how obese it is. It twas nice to have space and power and awesome styling as well.

I've got a couple warranty issues that need to be fixed on the Fit before I can sell it but I should be able to not be upside down on it, especially with gas prices creeping up again.

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
5/27/09 11:41 a.m.
RussellH wrote: I maybe the weird one here but does it really make sense to have an SS model or the SRT (Jeep) model or the S (Canyenne) etc on SUVs and trucks? What does it really get you in the end? Exactly, it gets you straight line power in a crossover truck that has ground clearance too low for off-road use and too high for handling the curves.

Well at least the SS and I think the Porsche can tow, the Jeep wasn't blassed with that ability (stupid move). An SUV with a huge engine and no ability to tow is a waste.

They are all certainly out on the edge of practicality, but if you can only have one high performance DD and you need more space than a coupe/sedan can provide I do see a good use for these performance SUVs.

I'm not sure what you drive but I'd be weary of saying these can't handle curves...I suggest you drive one.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
5/27/09 12:22 p.m.

When these came out, the press said these were the only SS vehicles worth of the SS nomenclature (vs the Impy SS, the Monte SS, the Gobalt SS/SC, and The Turd formerly know as the Silverado SS)

My friend has one, two weeks ago we were up in Wisconsin Dells screwing around on the highway and he held right with my low 13s/high 12s daily driver 95 GSX up to around 110 where I started to pull away. This was probably a 60-120 run, and he was dead nuts 90% of the time. They are fast trucks.

Once he gets/cobbles an STS rear mount turbo, the thing will be a beast and I will need my bigger injectors on the daily to keep up.

They are definitely the spiritual successor to the Typhoon, I would say go for it!

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/27/09 12:24 p.m.

I think they are great. Space for 5 plus some cargo, real towing ability, decent handlling, they look badass, and are really fast in a straight line. The only real negative I see is the mileage, but with a 6 mile commute, who cares?

I've considered them from time to time, but that doesn't mean much, I've considered just about anything with 4 wheels at one time or another....

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/27/09 2:02 p.m.

You might want to check and see if there are any SAAB 9-7x Aeros in your area. I am fairly sure they have the same motor and they might be had cheaper.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
5/27/09 2:33 p.m.

My wife has a 2003 2WD Trailblazer and I have the 2008 4WD version. Both are the L6 engines.

We like these except for two things:

1. For the large outside, they have a small inside for carrying crap compared to the minivan I used to have.

2. For the small inside for carrying crap, they have poor gas mileage.

I would go for it.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/27/09 2:50 p.m.

As mentioned, if you like the TBSS, take a look around and see if you can find any 97X Aeros. Bastard children with popular siblings can be fun (reference my Saabaru).

Also, if you're in the market for the TBSS, take a look at the SRT Jeep. Sure, they don't have a tow rating, but you can still tow with them if you want. If you don't tow much (or at all) then I'd say the SRT Jeep would be a bit more fun. Since your commute is very short, the horrible mileage in both shouldn't matter much.

Bryce

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
5/28/09 3:16 p.m.
Nashco wrote: As mentioned, if you like the TBSS, take a look around and see if you can find any 97X Aeros. Bastard children with popular siblings can be fun (reference my Saabaru). Also, if you're in the market for the TBSS, take a look at the SRT Jeep. Sure, they don't have a tow rating, but you can still tow with them if you want. If you don't tow much (or at all) then I'd say the SRT Jeep would be a bit more fun. Since your commute is very short, the horrible mileage in both shouldn't matter much. Bryce

You better start planning a custom exhaust setup...in stock form it exits where the tow hitch should have been.

Strizzo
Strizzo Dork
5/28/09 3:38 p.m.

Iirc there are hitch kits that reroute the exhaust

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/28/09 3:55 p.m.

Yup, Mopar sells a cat-back exhaust and hitch kit for it. IIRC it's several hundred bucks and rated for 3500 pounds.

Bryce

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
5/28/09 4:09 p.m.

You know... something about Dodge and weak transmissions and SRT8 Jeep that scares me. And not in the "cool it's fast" way either.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe New Reader
5/28/09 4:18 p.m.

Might I suggest a SRT-10 Ram, most fun car that I have. It does actually handle, goes like stink, and built well. 20K gets a decent one.

Raze
Raze Reader
5/28/09 4:28 p.m.

those blazer SSs looked kinda neat, especially when I saw one running down the track in the 12s on a mostly stock (couple of bolt ons and tires) setup...

96DXCivic
96DXCivic Reader
5/28/09 5:35 p.m.

What about the Toyota Tacoma X-Runner? I read good things about those.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
5/28/09 5:55 p.m.

BMW X5 tows as well. Tranny is glass though.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
5/28/09 5:55 p.m.

I dont care to much for SUV's. How often would you need to go off road or seat that many people?? And trust me I know about going from a small car to a bid one, air cool'd beatle vs P71. I love the room it has and power. I still would not want a SUV.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Reader
5/28/09 5:58 p.m.

When an SUV ghetto stomps your P71 on the track or the street, gets similar mileage, and hauls and tows more, you would want one. See previous conversation RE: Trailblazer SS

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 Dork
5/28/09 6:09 p.m.

I don't drink that often, but love to go out and party downtown orlando, the ucf scene, etc. So I usually pile the people up they throw me gas money, etc. Plus I'd like to be able to tow my own car around :)

Hmmm SRT-10? Lightnigignigningn? Few options out there. SRT-8 Jeep....there is a guy around here with an 11 second one, I'd just feel like gay having a stock one.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nhKZuEuGHmhXYqc4EDlnsqkrizZ0IQG6ARdS65rcniGWaf8erY7Zm4b9fhy3i6C8