1 2 3 4
Curtis
Curtis GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/18/19 12:56 a.m.

Two pieces of 4" channel and a welder and you will never break another taillight.  Period.  Mine got hit by an S10 square in the taillight and hit hard enough that it bent my leaf spring perches.  Lights still worked.

No hardcore science behind this... just put them in a steel housing.

Seriously.  If you put them in something like this, you can probably use the light housing as a winch mount, and it would still survive a 60mph impact with a concrete wall.  

Curtis
5/18/19 12:59 a.m.

Seriously... a few million ways to protect your trailer lights.

Image result for trailer light protection

Image result for trailer light protection

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/18/19 5:37 a.m.

For one of those “drop” trailers look on Craigslist for a ditch witch trailer, they come up from time to time and are designed in a similar manner. Not big enough for a car but the suspension could be adapted to a car size trailer.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
5/19/19 8:04 a.m.

I can't help with your design, but maybe I can with the budget.  Friend of mine bought a 28ft. camper that rolled over in a ditch, he removed the glass and some chatchkas he wanted for his camper (same model) and I bought the frame for $200.

Yeah, it's not as beefy as a car trailer, but I was hauling a small car.  I ran four pieces of 2" angle iron front to back and placed aluminum diamond plate between them; plate on each side and open center.  I don't think the whole thing cot me $500.

Dan

Curtis
5/19/19 8:37 a.m.

Truth.  There are a few dozen old RVs on my local CL for $100.  The older the better.  One of them is a 73 Shasta known for its beefy frames.  In college we took one like it to the dump with a sawzall and about 10 blades.  Drove in with a complete travel trailer, drove out with a bare frame.  Decked it with some PT and used it to haul a tractor.  Free trailer, $56 at the dump, $10 worth of sawzall blades, borrowed a friend's generator, and $100 worth of PT and screws.

We were even able to sell a couple things like the stove and fridge to get a little money back.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/20 7:39 p.m.

drock25too
drock25too New Reader
6/24/20 9:38 p.m.

In reply to Kreb (Forum Supporter) :

I'm kinda scared, but I think I want one.  Lol

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Dork
6/24/20 10:23 p.m.

it must be pretty heavy ......

Purple Frog (Forum Supporter)
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/24/20 10:55 p.m.

Speechless, don't know what to say.  Just glad my wife and grandkids don't drive around Elk Grove CA.

Faulty lights, bumper hitches, no trailer brakes, over loaded running gear... nightmare scenarios.  Knowing of innocent people killed by faulty trailers causes me to worry.

YMMV

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cuIF9N7ay8j3XaXLfcLXzMBHKnk1CG00qR5pnzEiPSuphqahoC6nEOvrs30GkPto