SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
2/8/13 2:23 a.m.

I gambled poorly on the used transmission I swapped into my Hardbody Pickup. Instead of gambling again, I want to rebuild the old box.

I can buy everything from the dealer, but the transmission will be worth more than my truck is.

I can piece-meal it locally with National or SKF bearings, and replace just the worn synchros with dealer parts. I'm feeling this might be a decent gamble.

However, www.drivetrain.com has rebuild kits (DTS-BK133BWS is the one I need) that ~seem~ to be well priced and are apparently supplied by TranStar. I can't find much in the way of "reviews" for their product.

Any tips/suggestions/recommendations/pointers ??

RossD
RossD UberDork
2/8/13 7:38 a.m.

Drivetrain was going to be my suggestion, however, I've never done business with them. I look at their website mostly for reference.

Did you find a repair manual? Can DT provide one?

tuna55
tuna55 UberDork
2/8/13 7:58 a.m.

My Dad (rebuilds them for a living) uses Dean's transmissions, but they have a terrible website and it's a very old-school business. Good stuff, though, we had a shift kit from them in the Lemons LTD.

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
2/8/13 10:00 a.m.
SkinnyG wrote: I gambled poorly on the used transmission I swapped into my Hardbody Pickup. Instead of gambling again, I want to rebuild the old box. I can buy everything from the dealer, but the transmission will be worth more than my truck is. I can piece-meal it locally with National or SKF bearings, and replace just the worn synchros with dealer parts. I'm feeling this might be a decent gamble. However, www.drivetrain.com has rebuild kits (DTS-BK133BWS is the one I need) that ~seem~ to be well priced and are apparently supplied by TranStar. I can't find much in the way of "reviews" for their product. Any tips/suggestions/recommendations/pointers ??

Skinny if you were down here in the lower mainland I would suggest King O Matic, or TCS for part... Thats were I get my stuff from... I don't know any good on line suppliers... Have you tried talking to any local transmission shops? see what they can sell you a bearing syncro kit for?

Ranger50
Ranger50 UberDork
2/8/13 10:30 a.m.
RossD wrote: Drivetrain was going to be my suggestion, however, I've never done business with them. I look at their website mostly for reference. Did you find a repair manual? Can DT provide one?

That site is infuriating. Doesn't have crap listed for anything worth a damn.

Disclaimer: I have never done business with these guys, but their site just plain works without all the stupid whizbangs and flashy crap.

http://www.manualtransmissionpart.com/FS5W71.html

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/8/13 11:21 a.m.

Watching this for when I have to rebuild my C52. I was thinking OEM synchros/aftermarket other stuff as well.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
2/8/13 7:00 p.m.
crazycanadian wrote: Skinny if you were down here in the lower mainland I would suggest King O Matic, or TCS for part... Thats were I get my stuff from.

As I understand it, both King-O-Matic and Drivetrain.com are retailers for TranStar.

Have you had good luck with King-O-Matic parts?

crazycanadian
crazycanadian New Reader
2/8/13 11:20 p.m.

I have... All though the syncros in their rebuild kits are aftermarket junk... I haven't had any problems with bad syncros from them though...You can just tell the difference in quality when you compare them to an oem one.. Also it doesn't shift as butter smooth as oem syncros..

If I had the cash I would buck up and pay for oem syncros...

The bearings and seals in their kits I haven't had any problems with...

usually if you are having problems with grinding you need more then just the syncro.. The blocker ring and gear its self tend to get worn out as well.. You gotta use a magnifying glass to look closely at the teeth...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/9/13 10:49 a.m.

Anyone know anything about Cobra Transmission?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C11tZeC6qUsvmrWrnatdCZTiQvt2ZjU1KBZko2tqlJcK0kj7hlUQhpEGn0ERltiX