1 2
SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/25/08 12:40 a.m.

Loaded and ready to go. 800km's round-trip, two day event.

http://www.kumhosuperchallenge.com

Tires, tent, air mattress and pump, food, water, jack, tools, extra fuel pump (dang you Mr.Gasket!), gloves, two lawnchairs, helmet, overnight bag. I think there might be room for me.

Loaded and ready to go

See you there?!

G

minimac
minimac Dork
7/25/08 6:36 a.m.

I'd love to, but wrong side of the country. For that matter, it's the wrong country. It looks like fun-good luck.

Winston
Winston New Reader
7/25/08 8:55 a.m.

To say that I'm envious would be an understatement.... have fun

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/25/08 9:00 a.m.

Crap, now I want an open wheeler again...

confuZion3
confuZion3 HalfDork
7/25/08 9:52 a.m.

I love your interpretation of side mufflers! That car is awesome!

Something about the Locosts has always made me curious though: why doesn't anybody paint the hood or sides? And why are they always orange?! (one of my favorite colors, as it turns out)

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/08 9:54 a.m.

Excellent!

They're not always orange, they just look best that way :) And some people do paint the aluminum. One of the most popular color combos is a fully green car with a yellow nose cone, thank you Mr. McGoohan.

From the group of Sevens that drove across the US a few years back. These cars were loaded for a 3-week trip.

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
7/25/08 10:00 a.m.

A motorcycle trailer would be nice.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/25/08 10:10 a.m.

I'm going with the BRG/Yellow Nose theme:

SkinnyG
SkinnyG New Reader
7/25/08 11:05 a.m.

I love your interpretation of side mufflers! That car is awesome!

I used to have a perforated core thrush magnum glasspack, but it was louder than hell itself two feet from my ear.

why doesn't anybody paint the hood or sides? And why are they always orange?!

I didn't paint the aluminum because paint doesn't always stick well to aluminum. Yes, I know there are ways, and primers, but I can clean it with a green scrubbie and I'm done.

I used a 1986 Corolla GT-S for the donor - it's painted 1986 Corolla red. "Resale Red" was my intent, but I won't be selling it after all.

G

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/25/08 11:15 a.m.

My Rustoleum experiments with the aluminum turned out well. I had a heck of a time getting the stuff off of a panel I used to test on and later needed for the trans tunnel. Scuff up with about 320-ish, wipe down with mineral spirits, spray Rustoleum Professional thinned with Mineral Spirits based thinner.

I still need to do my hood, but I want some louvers punched in it first.

Keith
7/25/08 11:18 a.m.

We're going to build a Westfield for a customer who plans to visit 49 states with it. He has a small trailer that he'll tow with the car.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/25/08 11:23 a.m.

I STILL dream of a Mark VIII powered six speed Locost type ride.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/08 12:40 p.m.

I'd think a motorcycle trailer would be nxt to essential.

BUT..from experience touring on cycles...you can pack all you need for a week into a tank bag and tailpack if you go rough.

You could lighten the load as days go by via shipping your dirties home.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett New Reader
7/25/08 1:47 p.m.

Using a Locost is cheatin you have unlimited head room... ok limited by underpasses.

Try it in Sonett! With Hoosiers!

Fibber glass won't support a rack!

mainlandboy
mainlandboy New Reader
7/25/08 1:57 p.m.

I didn't paint the aluminum on my Locost for the same reasons as Greg. Additionally, I was worried that the heat from the engine would wreck any paint on the hood.

Keith
7/25/08 2:30 p.m.

I just think they look better in bare aluminum.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
7/25/08 2:41 p.m.

you guys all have some very cool cars with these...i did get a ride in one at an autocross with a hyabusa paowered one...very cool, but the extra weight of me in the car really pushed handeling out the window though.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
7/25/08 8:10 p.m.

You are my hero.

MitchellC
MitchellC Reader
7/25/08 11:14 p.m.

How does it handle with all the extra stuff tied down?

Woodyhfd
Woodyhfd GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/26/08 6:35 a.m.
Keith wrote: We're going to build a Westfield for a customer who plans to visit 49 states with it. He has a small trailer that he'll tow with the car.

What? This guy have a problem with Massachusetts?

seann
seann New Reader
7/26/08 11:51 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: You are my hero.

+1

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
7/26/08 2:56 p.m.

My hood, nose, edge of the fenders and the cowl are painted with decent, shiny, paint. The side panels, front fenders, rear fenders, center console top and rear wraparound bodywork are covered with vinyl. The trunk lid and interior are rustoleum spraycan.

After four heavy years of autocrossing, and one year of being stored in a bodyshop, the vinyl could be replaced. It's rock chipped (pocked), torn, ripped, and has some cone burns, but for a racecar is still presentable.

Shiny parts are just more maintenance.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/26/08 4:49 p.m.
Woodyhfd wrote:
Keith wrote: We're going to build a Westfield for a customer who plans to visit 49 states with it. He has a small trailer that he'll tow with the car.
What? This guy have a problem with Massachusetts?

It was probably the "driving through the state tax" or the "leaving the state tax" that put him off.

My friend lived there. They actually had a tax on people moving out of the state.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/27/08 6:21 p.m.

^ Most worthwhile tax ever paid.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/27/08 6:36 p.m.

More like "most worthwhile tax ever not paid." He told them to get stuffed. They said they would attach any MASSHOLE property and hold his driver's license and not let it transfer. He told them to get stuffed. At that time, it was still legal to have a driver's license from more than one state and he had one from MS as well, and didn't own anything in Taxachussettes anymore..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wAAtOcl39zdSs7j3nKiCWs4InEmtVzbdOKefywclF28f0Qjpebka7Xof43TVbdCt