Carson
Carson Reader
12/14/08 8:33 p.m.

I could've sworn there was a topic on here about removing tree sap but the search and the archives return nothing really.

I just purchased a MR2 that will see rallycross action next season and the thing has been parked under a tree (well, lots of trees) for a few years and it is literally cocooned in tree sap. There is very little evidence that this car is red. It's really bad on the paint and moderate on the glass, the PO cleaned the glass occasionally so he could see while driving.

I haven't taken delivery yet, (I can't drive it home because I can't see through the sap covered windshield) I'm picking it up tomorrow or the next day.

Anyway, enough back story, what is the best way to quickly remove the sap? My main concern is the glass so I can get it home, but once it's home I'd like to take it off the paint too. I know it'll just be a rallycross beater but I still want it to look presentable, that's the kind of guy I am, classy. The paint I can see has faded to chalky pink so I'm not holding out much hope for the paint under the sap so more vigorous (read: quick and effective) actions can be taken without too much concern for the underlying paint.

Whatcha got?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/14/08 8:47 p.m.

HOT water + pressure washer

fast and fun, just be careful.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
12/14/08 8:55 p.m.

Here are some odd ideas: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-remove-sap-from-my-car.htm

I'd try a steamer on it.

Carson
Carson Reader
12/14/08 8:56 p.m.

I've never used a pressure washer on anything other than a concrete sidewalk, what kind of effect will that have on the glass and paint, and any weather stripping or plastic I hit?

Carson
Carson Reader
12/14/08 9:00 p.m.
gamby wrote: Here are some odd ideas: http://www.wisegeek.com/how-can-i-remove-sap-from-my-car.htm I'd try a steamer on it.

hahaha, I'd be curious to see the list of foods they tried without any results.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
12/14/08 9:02 p.m.

the paint wont like it, but you said that the paint was pretty much lost anyways... really, dont use it much on plastics..

perhaps just try HOT water?

WD-40 and other things that might dissolve it are a good bet too

pigeon
pigeon Reader
12/14/08 10:27 p.m.

There was a thread, I don't know where it went...

I'd use a razor blade on the windshield carefully, for the rest of the car bug and tar remover is a good place to start, let it soften the sap up, scrub vigorously, repeat as needed.

Scott

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1v2rqDGirR2nomCWXmhCDHWHuNo7xWD04s0j5VYDwJT2hGP8guvI5AXNTTiIAM2t