spitfun None
Dec. 14, 2012 4:15 p.m.

I am building a rotary powered Spitfire for autocrossing. I believe I need to stiffen up the rear as I have already went to 450 lb. spring up front,by either finding a stiffer race spring (anybody have one they want to sell by the way?) or I was thinking about coilovers with maybe 100 lb. springs on them,is there any problems going this route? I figure I want to be around 300-350 in the rear and with the stock spring and a lowering block I should be close. Thanks Rich

93EXCivic MegaDork
Dec. 14, 2012 4:34 p.m.

You will probably need to stiffen the shock mount if you go that direction since the stock ones are not meant to take spring force. Or you could go to a spring shop and have them re-arch and add a leaf to stiffen the stock spring.

Ian F PowerDork
Dec. 14, 2012 5:48 p.m.

Contact Ted Schumacher at TSI automotive in Ohio. He can direct you towards where you need to go.

erohslc HalfDork
Dec. 14, 2012 7:45 p.m.

The shock mounts actually handle much greater loads than the spring mounts, and so are perfectly adequate for your needs.
You can have a spring shop make a custom spring that is stiffer, but I'd really consider going the coilover route with the current spring.
To achieve the needed ride height, you will have to either re-arch the spring flatter, or get a spacer block to fit between the spring and top of the diff.

Is this a swing axle car? What is your solution for preventing jacking and tuck-under in the corners?

I ask this, because the leaf style Camber Compensator can be configured to act as additional spring stiffness, thus solving 'two birds with one stone'.

Also, most organizations will not let you race a swing axle Spit without some kind of camber control device.

Carter

spitfun New Reader
Dec. 14, 2012 8:22 p.m.

The car will have a 1" spacer to combat the positive camber problem. It is a swing spring 1500 car. I would like to find a race spring and be done with it,but no one makes them anymore (off the shelf anyway). Rich

spitfun New Reader
Dec. 15, 2012 5:47 p.m.

bump

bearmtnmartin Reader
Dec. 15, 2012 7:01 p.m.

I have a composite mono leaf on my gt6. Can't remember who made it though. I will give it some thought.

erohslc HalfDork
Dec. 15, 2012 8:48 p.m.

Since you have a swing spring, no Camber Compensator required to prevent the condition.

Note that it's been reported that some AutoX Tech Inspectors will still demand to see one before they let you run.

BTW, I have a copy of the BLMC Spitfire Competition Preparation guide (4th edition) here in front of me.

On p.37, it says:

'Before installing the spring assembly, have it de-arched by a spring shop to 1";i.e.with the main leaf spring resting on the workbench, it should measure 1" from the bottom of the leaf to the bench. Next, cut off the second leaf at the point where it wraps around the eye. This is to prevent it from bottoming when it flexes.'

Thus spake Kastner ....

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

1 day ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

1 day ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

2 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

2 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
lfk2MqZbtyMPgQj0EQDifXKW2DfZ0Uxw