1 2
ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
7/13/11 1:58 p.m.

The new monster 843cc motor in the Fiat has had quite a few teething problems. It wiped a lobe on the cam and a lifter, some oil pressure issues (wrong filter) and tons of oil leaks. I finally got it all sorted but the car ran like complete crap. I didn't think the slight drop in displacement and compression would make that big of a difference.

I got my wideband working again last night, touched up the AFR target tables and turned on the VE Analyze live for my 2 mile commute to work this morning. The difference it made in that 5 minutes or less is mindblowing! did it again on the lunch break and am giddy with joy. This is phenomenal. Just drive it and it gets better, hmm a little rough in that range so decel and hit the rough spot 2 or 3 more times and it simply dissapears.

If some one tried to tell me 6 years ago that for about the price of a weber carb and manifold you could have fuel injection that tuned itself while you drove I would have laughed at them.

Next step is to start from scratch on the VE tables. The original tune only supported 10lbs of boost and the plan is 16. Any tips on scaling a table like that?

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
7/13/11 4:30 p.m.

Autotune?

T-Pain & Cher approve!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/11 6:05 p.m.

I will be giving that a try with my 924s MS project. I am rapidly reaching the install date. I have to sort the TPS wiring and I think that is the last hurdle. Everything else has been bench tested through the DME adaptor plug.

zipty842
zipty842 Reader
7/13/11 7:57 p.m.

Well worth the price of registration. I've got my race car tuned in within 3 autocross runs. Usually only takes one run after that to re-tune after I make a change.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/13/11 9:49 p.m.

Does it work for Turbo cars running MS?

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/13/11 9:51 p.m.

it's things like this that make me excited to tune even if it does cost $40 for the program... i'm sure it'll make things a lot easier when tuning the s10 :)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/13/11 9:52 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Does it work for Turbo cars running MS?

http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/

it's made to tune MS... doesn't care if it's boosted or not

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
7/14/11 5:22 a.m.

That makes me a happy panda.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 8:30 a.m.

Yes, Autotune is amazing.

I miss megasquirt. I need to get the biturbo fixed and 'injected.

mike
mike Reader
7/14/11 8:45 a.m.

Having just read through the website, I want to buy the software and I don't even have a Megasquirt project! It gives me ideas though...

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
7/14/11 11:00 a.m.

It's a shame it's not out for tablets (iPads, Honeycomb). I'd replace my entire gauge cluster.

Edit: I totally forgot about the Viewsonic Viewpad 10. Windows 10" tablet with USB. Hello new gauge cluster when I convert to MS.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
7/14/11 11:29 a.m.

In reply to McTinkerson: Totally off-topic, but that's an epic avatar you have there.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
7/14/11 11:40 a.m.

Is this going to work for ITB's or should I look elsewhere? Was thinking about renting a dynapack for 1/2 day to do it when the time comes, but if I could get this autotune working it would be great. It's a 4age 20v.

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/14/11 11:46 a.m.

yes it'll work for ITB's... as I recall the later blacktop 20v used a speed density system (ie map sensor) like the megasquirt does... if you use an earlier engine you'll need to tap some holes (after the throttle plate) in each of the runners... using T's run vac line on them... at one end run it to the map sensor on the other it needs a small damper or something along those lines to "smooth out" the cyl pulses... or at least thats my recollection from some years back as an Mr2 guy....

Taiden
Taiden HalfDork
7/14/11 11:48 a.m.

Dyno time is still worth while for tuning spark. Autotune seems to handle most of the fuel tuning beautifully, though.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 HalfDork
7/14/11 3:00 p.m.

Do you set target AFR's then? I've heard of some pain tuning with ITB's (using mixed alpha-n and speed-density), so I'm a little wary of the conversion. I've now got a blacktop running on silvertop electrics (complicated situation, of course).

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
7/14/11 3:17 p.m.

It's not a pain, it's SO FREAKING EASY.

I'm tuning ITB's with Alpha-N using Autotune. It's fantastic. You go to your AFR tuning map, and drive. Run into a rich or lean spot, [SHIFT]+[UP-ARROW] or [DOWN-ARROW] on the AFR until the engine smooths out. Autotune plays with the VE table to get the AFR YOU are setting on the fly.

Freaking awesome, I love it.

I have a 4AGE blue top, with Honda Accord Injectors, EDIS and GSXR600 ITB's.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/14/11 6:06 p.m.
McTinkerson wrote: It's a shame it's not out for tablets (iPads, Honeycomb). I'd replace my entire gauge cluster. Edit: I totally forgot about the Viewsonic Viewpad 10. Windows 10" tablet with USB. Hello new gauge cluster when I convert to MS.

The HP Slate is a little smaller and runs Win7 (with a SD Card slot and an external USB port) Would work great for a dash board...

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/14/11 11:18 p.m.

could easily hack up a netbook (i got mine for $130 in good condition)...

or if you don't mind a bit more DIY kinda setup build up an older desktop... could run just about any old POS computer... could prob even run the entire thing off of an SD card if you use a small linux distro... biggest thing is finding a quality and inexpensive screen... netbook would prob be the smallest/cheapest option as it would include a screen (can even install touch screens on some of the more "hacked" models)

here is one of the oldest I remember... back in '99... I looked at trying something like this back then... WAY before you could get mp3's into your car easily... http://www.aaroncake.net/projects/mp3player.htm

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
7/15/11 12:00 a.m.

I really can't imagine having to wait until my cars gauges booted up.

That whole idea sounded awful until I thought of the gauge display in the Lexus LFA and now I want it in my old fiat.

Damnit!

turboswede
7/15/11 12:10 a.m.

My suggestion?

Use your Google-Fu to look for a Fujitsu Stylistic device.

turboswede
7/15/11 12:10 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote: I really can't imagine having to wait until my cars gauges booted up. That whole idea sounded awful until I thought of the gauge display in the Lexus LFA and now I want it in my old fiat. Damnit!

Ahem, suspend or hibernate mode works pretty well ;)

donalson
donalson SuperDork
7/15/11 1:41 a.m.

yes with suspend it could be very quick... hibernate not quite...

bet linux could be super quick booting (wouldn't be surprised if some OE use a linux based system on their digital dash bits even)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/11 6:45 a.m.

My Laptop with Win7 an i7 and 4gb boots up remarkably quick (under a minut). From suspended mode or hibernation it is virchally instant. I have ben looking at those mini laptops thinking it may be somthing that could be used as a suplemental digital dash.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
7/15/11 7:53 a.m.

iTouch is always on...so is an iPad...no booting. Not sure if some of the Android/MS tabs are the same or not...

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UUaUIxPva8iTixrjsfqdLgdmhDGCe5KyZKkuxCUeBggxixrdHeSxYQQ0sPEVgFz2