preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
10/17/10 8:17 p.m.

I'm Planning a turbo project, for a 1980 BMW 320i and I was curious If anyone had ever attempted a "dry sump" turbo? using an electric pump to keep your turbo cool? I've seen JR's Turbo'd BMW and that gave me the inspiration to begin mine, Now I've got parts cars and time on my hands, so any Ideas? Is the Dry sump Idea a dud? it's been just making me scratch my head? should I avoid this at all cost, and just buy a honda instead...

80, 82, 320i and 83 320is

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
10/17/10 9:26 p.m.

what?

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/17/10 9:48 p.m.

what I can gather from this is that you want to run the turbo off it's own oil supply, independent of the engine oil? I can't see any problem with that other than added weight of the extra pump and extra oil sump for the turbo, but I can't really see any benefit to it other than being able to use a thinner oil in the turbo to give it a bit less parasitic drag from the thicker oil, which at this level might be negligible or only worth a split second quicker spool-up or maybe 0.1psi more of boost. if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

Vigo
Vigo HalfDork
10/17/10 10:12 p.m.

OP: Its a perfectly good idea. Pump, reservoir, cooler, and some lines. That's all you need.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/17/10 10:42 p.m.

The hard (expensive) part will be finding a pump that will cope with the heat of the oil. I suppose having the pump suck oil from the cooler would help though.

preston_demolitions
10/17/10 11:43 p.m.

I apologize, belt, I'm better with my hands than I am with my words...

well My plan was cut a vent, Design a ram air system to keep the oil cool, It's still on the drawing board,

Thanks for your help...

If you haven't seen it, it's really neat...

JR's 320i

preston_demolitions
10/19/10 12:27 a.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

What do you mean by upstream?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
10/19/10 12:41 a.m.

Precompressor.

preston_demolitions
10/19/10 1:19 a.m.

Pre-compressor? before the turbo? have the blow off valve connected back into the intake

and Direct it to the back to the intake line to the Turbo...

preston_demolitions
10/19/10 1:25 a.m.

I also found a Turbo and down pipe, but it was for a 318i I just want to know if the mounting holes are different? before I plan on this purchase it's 700 bucks...

m4ff3w
10/19/10 6:51 a.m.

http://www.boostbrothers.com/product.php?productid=16205

m4ff3w
10/19/10 6:56 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely
What do you mean by upstream?

Many (most?) factory setups are like that.

preston_demolitions
10/19/10 11:34 p.m.

M4 Thanks a lot... that is way better than I expected, it's fantastic, to tell you the truth... thanks for the info as well, it makes a little more sense now... I appreciate your help and everybody else's help...

preston_demolitions
10/20/10 12:00 a.m.

How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers

I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!"

I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

m4ff3w
10/20/10 6:34 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote: How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!" I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition.

It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/20/10 7:10 a.m.

am E30 318i should have the m10 engine.. same as the engine in your e21 320i. Only the 318is used the last M42. Also, as your car is an '80.. it is probably a 1.8, not a 2.0 as the number plate seems to suggest

preston_demolitions
10/20/10 8:10 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

preston_demolitions
10/20/10 8:33 p.m.

yeah I Know it's a 1.8, I was planning a High performance so I have done a lot of research, excluding the turbo 1979 was the last year of the 2.0...

m4ff3w
10/20/10 10:05 p.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.
So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

Yes. You turn the car off/remove the key and it continues to idle for your predetermined amount of time.

preston_demolitions
10/20/10 11:06 p.m.

Thanks I didn't really understand the whole thing...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UWEM0LNNHNeHsM2OhSTU1YY6NmF02cjQ03dOOTx6YOMn2dNMWshucniVfHsnnSd4