preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 17, 2010 8:17 p.m.

I'm Planning a turbo project, for a 1980 BMW 320i and I was curious If anyone had ever attempted a "dry sump" turbo? using an electric pump to keep your turbo cool? I've seen JR's Turbo'd BMW and that gave me the inspiration to begin mine, Now I've got parts cars and time on my hands, so any Ideas? Is the Dry sump Idea a dud? it's been just making me scratch my head? should I avoid this at all cost, and just buy a honda instead...

80, 82, 320i and 83 320is

belteshazzar SuperDork
Oct. 17, 2010 9:26 p.m.

what?

Slyp_Dawg Reader
Oct. 17, 2010 9:48 p.m.

what I can gather from this is that you want to run the turbo off it's own oil supply, independent of the engine oil? I can't see any problem with that other than added weight of the extra pump and extra oil sump for the turbo, but I can't really see any benefit to it other than being able to use a thinner oil in the turbo to give it a bit less parasitic drag from the thicker oil, which at this level might be negligible or only worth a split second quicker spool-up or maybe 0.1psi more of boost. if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

Vigo HalfDork
Oct. 17, 2010 10:12 p.m.

OP: Its a perfectly good idea. Pump, reservoir, cooler, and some lines. That's all you need.

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 17, 2010 10:42 p.m.

The hard (expensive) part will be finding a pump that will cope with the heat of the oil. I suppose having the pump suck oil from the cooler would help though.

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 17, 2010 11:43 p.m.

I apologize, belt, I'm better with my hands than I am with my words...

well My plan was cut a vent, Design a ram air system to keep the oil cool, It's still on the drawing board,

Thanks for your help...

If you haven't seen it, it's really neat...

JR's 320i

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 19, 2010 12:27 a.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

What do you mean by upstream?

unevolved HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2010 12:41 a.m.

Precompressor.

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 19, 2010 1:19 a.m.

Pre-compressor? before the turbo? have the blow off valve connected back into the intake

and Direct it to the back to the intake line to the Turbo...

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 19, 2010 1:25 a.m.

I also found a Turbo and down pipe, but it was for a 318i I just want to know if the mounting holes are different? before I plan on this purchase it's 700 bucks...

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2010 6:51 a.m.

http://www.boostbrothers.com/product.php?productid=16205

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2010 6:56 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

What do you mean by upstream?

Many (most?) factory setups are like that.

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 19, 2010 11:34 p.m.

M4 Thanks a lot... that is way better than I expected, it's fantastic, to tell you the truth... thanks for the info as well, it makes a little more sense now... I appreciate your help and everybody else's help...

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 20, 2010 12:00 a.m.

How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers

I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!"

I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 6:34 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote: How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!" I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition.

It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

mad_machine SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 7:10 a.m.

am E30 318i should have the m10 engine.. same as the engine in your e21 320i. Only the 318is used the last M42. Also, as your car is an '80.. it is probably a 1.8, not a 2.0 as the number plate seems to suggest

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 20, 2010 8:10 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 20, 2010 8:33 p.m.

yeah I Know it's a 1.8, I was planning a High performance so I have done a lot of research, excluding the turbo 1979 was the last year of the 2.0...

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 10:05 p.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

Yes. You turn the car off/remove the key and it continues to idle for your predetermined amount of time.

preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 20, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Thanks I didn't really understand the whole thing...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Follow Us to the Nürburgring

10 hours ago in News

Follow along as James Clay from BimmerWorld contests his first ADAC Zurich 24-Hour race at the Nürburgring.

You Need This: 2005 Lotus Elise

10 hours ago in News

A Lotus Elise looks so right in British Racing Green.

2017 Mazda MX-5 RF

12 hours ago in New Car Reviews

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, ...

From the GRM Vault: Test Driving BMW's E30 M3

15 hours ago in Articles

We tested BMW's E30-chassis M3 back in 1989. Here's what we thought.

Project Ramp Truck: Installing Sound Deadening

16 hours ago in Project Cars

Time to cut down on heat and road noise making its way into the cab.

Eric Foss Sets Fastest Time Ever at the Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge

1 day ago in News

47 of the country's fastest cars battled it out for track supremacy.

Who Wants to Design the Next GRM T-Shirt?

1 day ago in News

Blipshift is involved, so you know that it will be cool.

Reader's Ride of the Week: Improving Upon the Ultimate Driving Machine

1 day ago in News

This E36-chassis M3 just keeps getting better.

What Was the Most Powerful Car at the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day?

1 day ago in News

What if we told you it was an Audi?

Up to the Challenge

4 days ago in Articles

Torque: It's how Glen Bunch's vintage Dodge keeps pace with today's machines.

This Friday: The Ultimate Track Car Showdown

5 days ago in News

Come watch some of the country’s top track cars duke it out for fame, glory and some tasty prizes.

You Need This: Metallic Brown Toyota Celica

5 days ago in News

This looks a lot like one that we had in our fleet back in the day.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
IHyc4STMkHxIhEHnahrB3OE2lNlOuNlS