preston_demolitions
preston_demolitions New Reader
Oct. 17, 2010 8:17 p.m.

I'm Planning a turbo project, for a 1980 BMW 320i and I was curious If anyone had ever attempted a "dry sump" turbo? using an electric pump to keep your turbo cool? I've seen JR's Turbo'd BMW and that gave me the inspiration to begin mine, Now I've got parts cars and time on my hands, so any Ideas? Is the Dry sump Idea a dud? it's been just making me scratch my head? should I avoid this at all cost, and just buy a honda instead...

80, 82, 320i and 83 320is

belteshazzar SuperDork
Oct. 17, 2010 9:26 p.m.

what?

Slyp_Dawg Reader
Oct. 17, 2010 9:48 p.m.

what I can gather from this is that you want to run the turbo off it's own oil supply, independent of the engine oil? I can't see any problem with that other than added weight of the extra pump and extra oil sump for the turbo, but I can't really see any benefit to it other than being able to use a thinner oil in the turbo to give it a bit less parasitic drag from the thicker oil, which at this level might be negligible or only worth a split second quicker spool-up or maybe 0.1psi more of boost. if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

Vigo HalfDork
Oct. 17, 2010 10:12 p.m.

OP: Its a perfectly good idea. Pump, reservoir, cooler, and some lines. That's all you need.

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 17, 2010 10:42 p.m.

The hard (expensive) part will be finding a pump that will cope with the heat of the oil. I suppose having the pump suck oil from the cooler would help though.

preston_demolitions
Oct. 17, 2010 11:43 p.m.

I apologize, belt, I'm better with my hands than I am with my words...

well My plan was cut a vent, Design a ram air system to keep the oil cool, It's still on the drawing board,

Thanks for your help...

If you haven't seen it, it's really neat...

JR's 320i

preston_demolitions
Oct. 19, 2010 12:27 a.m.
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

What do you mean by upstream?

unevolved HalfDork
Oct. 19, 2010 12:41 a.m.

Precompressor.

preston_demolitions
Oct. 19, 2010 1:19 a.m.

Pre-compressor? before the turbo? have the blow off valve connected back into the intake

and Direct it to the back to the intake line to the Turbo...

preston_demolitions
Oct. 19, 2010 1:25 a.m.

I also found a Turbo and down pipe, but it was for a 318i I just want to know if the mounting holes are different? before I plan on this purchase it's 700 bucks...

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2010 6:51 a.m.

http://www.boostbrothers.com/product.php?productid=16205

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 19, 2010 6:56 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: if you want a good setup that's not the norm on turbo cars, vent the BOV to upstream of the turbo so that you don't lose that boost and you can keep the turbo spooled up, or hell do what the Brabham F1 teams of the '80s did with their big turbo BMW engines and put the throttle body upstream of the turbo and forgo the BOV entirely

What do you mean by upstream?

Many (most?) factory setups are like that.

preston_demolitions
Oct. 19, 2010 11:34 p.m.

M4 Thanks a lot... that is way better than I expected, it's fantastic, to tell you the truth... thanks for the info as well, it makes a little more sense now... I appreciate your help and everybody else's help...

preston_demolitions
Oct. 20, 2010 12:00 a.m.

How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers

I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!"

I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 6:34 a.m.
preston_demolitions wrote: How Does a Turbo Timer work? I've read this page? but it doesn't Explain the process what Cools it after the fact? Explanation on turbo timers I mean does it just tell you what to do or something? just to say like "NO YOU CAN'T TURN ME OFF RIGHT NOW!!!!" I mean I have a Turbo Diesel Benz and a Turbo Diesel Rabbit, I just leave it running after I get there for a few minutes, While I gather my bearings... Does Turbo Timer just say when? or dose it override the keys? or something I'm missing?

The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition.

It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

mad_machine SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 7:10 a.m.

am E30 318i should have the m10 engine.. same as the engine in your e21 320i. Only the 318is used the last M42. Also, as your car is an '80.. it is probably a 1.8, not a 2.0 as the number plate seems to suggest

preston_demolitions
Oct. 20, 2010 8:10 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

preston_demolitions
Oct. 20, 2010 8:33 p.m.

yeah I Know it's a 1.8, I was planning a High performance so I have done a lot of research, excluding the turbo 1979 was the last year of the 2.0...

m4ff3w SuperDork
Oct. 20, 2010 10:05 p.m.
preston_demolitions wrote:
m4ff3w wrote: The turbo timer keeps the engine running for X (an adjustable) number of minutes after you turn off the ignition. It keeps the super hot turbo from coking (burning) the last bit of oil on it because you are not putting that much heat into the turbo at idle. So residual heat from you blasting around WOT is allowed to leave the turbo. Otherwise, the turbo just burns the last bit of oil that is on it.

So It does override the key's (the Ignition switch)?

Yes. You turn the car off/remove the key and it continues to idle for your predetermined amount of time.

preston_demolitions
Oct. 20, 2010 11:06 p.m.

Thanks I didn't really understand the whole thing...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Reader's Ride of the Week: Enviate Hypercar

4 hours ago in News

There’s fast and there’s FAST–and then there’s this thing.

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

3 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

4 days ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

4 days ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

5 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

5 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

6 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

1 week ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

1 week ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

1 week ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

OUR SPONSORS

Birthdays

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
H6gi95qEdEQB1muMDoTzxNXyB4NNMZv0