The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/21/16 9:59 p.m.

Okay I lied about the diesel part.

I posted a thread about two years ago when I was trying to buy an RX3 Wagon from my buddy. Well our schedules finally lined up (we're both gone a lot) and I got the chance to look at it this past weekend. Bought it on the spot.

Behold! A complete 1973 RX3 wagon...sans engine and drive shaft.

Rear RX3 badges and the lid trim piece are in the trunk.

This thing doesn't have a speck of rust on it and the chassis hasn't been hacked up. Interior is original and in need of recovering but it's all there.

So unfortunately I'm leaving the country again for work for 6 months and changing jobs after this trip so I need to have it transported across the country to Pennsylvania along with my family and everything I own. Should be interesting and hopefully Reliable will transport a no engine car or I'll have to trailer it myself.

Build thread to follow after the move. Currently planning a 13b swap but I'm open to a 20b if I can find one and it fits. The exterior is going to remain stock unless shiny bits need attention. Maybe BBS meshes if a set comes up inexpensively enough.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/21/16 11:08 p.m.

Neato. Never seen one of those before, great grab!

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Reader
3/22/16 12:46 a.m.

Looks fantastic, reminds me that I want a fun wagon.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
3/22/16 5:22 a.m.

Awesome. A rarity for sure

nepa03focus
nepa03focus Dork
3/22/16 5:38 a.m.

That is beautiful

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UltraDork
3/22/16 5:55 a.m.

At the very least the rear axle has been upgraded to a RX-7 GSL-SE unit. I say that because it has GSL-SE wheels which use the much more common 4x114.5 lug pattern. The stock RX-3 is 4x110. Excellent score by the way I am very jealous. I found a 73 that is all stock aside from a color change with rattle cans on Martha's Vineyard island about 4 years ago now, and I still can't buy it after brokering a deal with the seller. He doesn't have the title, but said it wouldn't be long until he did. 4 years later it is still sitting.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
3/22/16 7:29 a.m.

LS swap!

84FSP
84FSP HalfDork
3/22/16 8:53 a.m.

WOW - really random. Would be really cool to keep it OEM+ with a turbo rotary...

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
3/22/16 8:54 a.m.

Man that is sweet.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/22/16 9:32 a.m.

Very very nice. Your plans sound great. How hard is it to change the front hubs to match the rear bolt pattern?

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
3/22/16 10:26 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: LS swap!

Mazda also made a 808 Wagon which looked almost identical to this one save for it not being powered by magic spinning Doritos. Those would be more worthy of a LS swap. They tend to be cheaper to acquire as well.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
3/22/16 11:02 a.m.

Meshies always look good on mazdas. Not sure why. Someone should do a study on this. Some cars just always have a rim that looks great on it. BMW's also look great with mesh.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
3/22/16 11:11 a.m.

That looks awesome! Nice save!

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/16 11:13 a.m.

Front hubs have been changed, too. Those are FC RX-7 (4x114.3) spare wheel donuts.

Also, I need new pants.

ShawneeCreek
ShawneeCreek GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/22/16 11:51 a.m.

Beautiful find. I've always loved the RX-3 wagons. Good luck with it when you get back to it.

The0retical
The0retical Dork
3/22/16 4:49 p.m.

Thanks for the compliments and the help identifying the hubs. It's a 1973 chassis code and originally a rotary which is the way it's going to stay since I've always wanted a rotary wagon.

I wasn't sure about the hubs but that'll save me a bunch of work and sourcing parts.

The end of the year seems awful far away at this point and I still need to buy a new house as well as sell my current one, which I was just about finished upgrading when the opportunity came up.

Anyone in the San Bernardino area want to buy a freshly upgraded house (new windows, HVAC duct work, floors, trim, paint, and doors) with a detached shop/garage and huge shed with a concrete floor? In Apple Valley.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/22/16 4:58 p.m.

now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?

sirrichardpumpaloaf
sirrichardpumpaloaf Reader
3/22/16 5:14 p.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: LS swap!

It seems "LS swap" is becoming answer B.).

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
3/22/16 5:16 p.m.
kanaric wrote: now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?

It should be possible to build one.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/22/16 5:28 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
kanaric wrote: now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?
It should be possible to build one.

I don't think there's any fundamental reason it couldn't work, but I doubt you could build one out of existing parts. Given that diesel piston engines need beefing up to withstand the compression ignition, I hate to think what that would do to apex seals.

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
3/22/16 5:37 p.m.

Very very nice find, a 13b-rew with upgraded turbos (keep duels for the smoothness) and it would be perfect!

Good luck with the build and will definitely be keeping an eye out for this!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Trs7tHqsxS8spg8wAxG3YMrP0FigohWMUnq9qdVA3EhyjKGgeQ74fdlfPdQ0gd5W