March 21, 2016 9:59 p.m.

Okay I lied about the diesel part.

I posted a thread about two years ago when I was trying to buy an RX3 Wagon from my buddy. Well our schedules finally lined up (we're both gone a lot) and I got the chance to look at it this past weekend. Bought it on the spot.

Behold! A complete 1973 RX3 wagon...sans engine and drive shaft.

Rear RX3 badges and the lid trim piece are in the trunk.

This thing doesn't have a speck of rust on it and the chassis hasn't been hacked up. Interior is original and in need of recovering but it's all there.

So unfortunately I'm leaving the country again for work for 6 months and changing jobs after this trip so I need to have it transported across the country to Pennsylvania along with my family and everything I own. Should be interesting and hopefully Reliable will transport a no engine car or I'll have to trailer it myself.

Build thread to follow after the move. Currently planning a 13b swap but I'm open to a 20b if I can find one and it fits. The exterior is going to remain stock unless shiny bits need attention. Maybe BBS meshes if a set comes up inexpensively enough.

aircooled MegaDork
March 21, 2016 11:08 p.m.

Neato. Never seen one of those before, great grab!

Andy Neuman Reader
March 22, 2016 12:46 a.m.

Looks fantastic, reminds me that I want a fun wagon.

March 22, 2016 5:22 a.m.

Awesome. A rarity for sure

March 22, 2016 5:38 a.m.

That is beautiful

Mazdax605 UltraDork
March 22, 2016 5:55 a.m.

At the very least the rear axle has been upgraded to a RX-7 GSL-SE unit. I say that because it has GSL-SE wheels which use the much more common 4x114.5 lug pattern. The stock RX-3 is 4x110. Excellent score by the way I am very jealous. I found a 73 that is all stock aside from a color change with rattle cans on Martha's Vineyard island about 4 years ago now, and I still can't buy it after brokering a deal with the seller. He doesn't have the title, but said it wouldn't be long until he did. 4 years later it is still sitting.

Streetwiseguy PowerDork
March 22, 2016 7:29 a.m.

LS swap!

iadr
iadr Dork
March 22, 2016 8:17 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: LS swap!

This!

84FSP HalfDork
March 22, 2016 8:53 a.m.

WOW - really random. Would be really cool to keep it OEM+ with a turbo rotary...

spitfirebill PowerDork
March 22, 2016 8:54 a.m.

Man that is sweet.

Duke MegaDork
March 22, 2016 9:32 a.m.

Very very nice. Your plans sound great. How hard is it to change the front hubs to match the rear bolt pattern?

McTinkerson Reader
March 22, 2016 10:26 a.m.

Mazda also made a 808 Wagon which looked almost identical to this one save for it not being powered by magic spinning Doritos. Those would be more worthy of a LS swap. They tend to be cheaper to acquire as well.

Trackmouse HalfDork
March 22, 2016 11:02 a.m.

Meshies always look good on mazdas. Not sure why. Someone should do a study on this. Some cars just always have a rim that looks great on it. BMW's also look great with mesh.

2002maniac Dork
March 22, 2016 11:11 a.m.

That looks awesome! Nice save!

Javelin MegaDork
March 22, 2016 11:13 a.m.

Front hubs have been changed, too. Those are FC RX-7 (4x114.3) spare wheel donuts.

Also, I need new pants.

ShawneeCreek Reader
March 22, 2016 11:51 a.m.

Beautiful find. I've always loved the RX-3 wagons. Good luck with it when you get back to it.

March 22, 2016 4:49 p.m.

Thanks for the compliments and the help identifying the hubs. It's a 1973 chassis code and originally a rotary which is the way it's going to stay since I've always wanted a rotary wagon.

I wasn't sure about the hubs but that'll save me a bunch of work and sourcing parts.

The end of the year seems awful far away at this point and I still need to buy a new house as well as sell my current one, which I was just about finished upgrading when the opportunity came up.

Anyone in the San Bernardino area want to buy a freshly upgraded house (new windows, HVAC duct work, floors, trim, paint, and doors) with a detached shop/garage and huge shed with a concrete floor? In Apple Valley.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
March 22, 2016 4:58 p.m.

now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?

March 22, 2016 5:14 p.m.

It seems "LS swap" is becoming answer B.).

rslifkin Reader
March 22, 2016 5:16 p.m.
kanaric wrote: now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?

It should be possible to build one.

codrus Dork
March 22, 2016 5:28 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
kanaric wrote: now i'm curious, is a diesel rotary possible?

It should be possible to build one.

I don't think there's any fundamental reason it couldn't work, but I doubt you could build one out of existing parts. Given that diesel piston engines need beefing up to withstand the compression ignition, I hate to think what that would do to apex seals.

JtspellS SuperDork
March 22, 2016 5:37 p.m.

Very very nice find, a 13b-rew with upgraded turbos (keep duels for the smoothness) and it would be perfect!

Good luck with the build and will definitely be keeping an eye out for this!

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: A Dual-Engine Honda CRX and 10 Other Cool Cars Hit the Dyno

9 hours ago in Articles

Back in 1997 we put 11 cool cars on the dyno in search of horsepower and truth.

You Need This: Our Mustang GT CAM-C Project Car

11 hours ago in News

Soon for sale: Our Mustang GT autocross project.

Deal of the Month: Christmas in July!

11 hours ago in News

Get a year of our magazine for just $10.

Your Projects: Smith College's $2017 Challenge Miata

11 hours ago in News

Smith College is entering the Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge

Big News From Mazda's Prototype Racing Effort

20 hours ago in News

This just in: Mazda's prototype racing effort is changing hands.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, July 19: Track Prep Your Daily Plus a Look at the Only Stick Shift GT3 RS

1 day ago in News

Tune in as we discuss pre-event inspection and prep. Also, a special appearance by a very cool Porsche.

Project Ridgeline Tows Home Another Project

1 day ago in Project Cars

We may or may not have gotten sidetracked on our Smoky Mountain Tour.

You Need This: Supercharged Toyota MR2

2 days ago in News

Rebuilt engine? Check. Extra power? Check. Early MR2 cool factor? Double check.

2017 Volvo V90 Cross Country T6 AWD

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

We're keeping the all-wheel-drive wagon theme rolling. We reviewed the Subaru Impreza last week and the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen before ...

Taking on the World Rally Championship With an E30

3 days ago in Articles

Bill Caswell invades the World Rally Championship with a 20-year-old BMW.

Your Projects: UR Quattro Resurrection

3 days ago in News

Team Illuminata is breathing life back into this old Quattro.

Project Turbo Miata: A Fresh Engine for Our Endurance Racer

3 days ago in Project Cars

Our turbocharged Mazda Miata racer gets a new heart.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
hsELyjHrGfGectiRUHy58qoD6F0sb7Ii