roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/24/16 12:05 a.m.

Today, for the first time in many months, I went on not 1, but 2 test drives. While both of them are “sports cars” per se, they couldn't be more different. Today I drove a 2016 Mazda MX-5/Miata (6MT Club w/Brembo & BBS package) and a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro SS (6MT 2SS package).

The last time I drove the new ND Miata, I had a few qualms with it. Limited interior space and the fact that it caused me a decent amount of pain in my right knee were certainly a couple of negative factors. Fast forward almost half a year and my knee has been slowly healing (with some physical therapy) over the past few months and I've also learned how to properly adjust the seat to avoid excessive pain. It's also much warmer outside. How is that relevant? I'm now wearing summer clothes and thin souled shoes, which really add up when you're a bigger guy (about 6'2”, 210 lbs) driving a small car.

The result? Zero knee pain on a 45 minute test drive and I actually fit just fine. The combination of thicker/heavier clothes, knee pain and ~30 degree weather didn't help the ND Miata's case the last time I drove it. This time was much better!

I'll immediately address the pink elephant in the room about the Miata: power. It needs more. Seriously, with myself and a ~250 lbs salesman in the car, it felt like the little engine that could. It clawed it's way up the steep inclines of Deer Creek Canyon, but by the time it hit 3rd gear it felt pretty anemic. The aggressive gearing in 1st/2nd helped it feel peppy enough at low speeds, but once it ran out of torque multiplication the lack of power was immediately noticeable.

People at sea level might not have this problem, but up here at over 5000 ft elevation (Denver area), the combination of the heavy extra passenger, the car still being in the break-in period (likely running on dealer filled 85 octane piss water) and my daily driver (2016 VW Golf R) being significantly faster really made the little Miata's lack of power stand out. Keep in mind that for every 1000 ft in elevation you go up, a naturally aspirated engine loses roughly 3% power. On today's canyon run, I would say the elevation was between 5000-7000 ft, so the little ND was likely down between 15-21% power vs sea level. It really adds up quickly.

Onto handling... Yes, the ND has quite a bit of body roll. Yes, it could certainly use a stiffer suspension. However, the lightweight chassis felt very capable and was a joy to pitch around corners! The last time I drove an ND I didn't really push it very hard as the cold temperatures (around ~30 degrees F at the time) don't really play too well with the ND's summer tires. Today, with temps in the high 80's it was a different story entirely!

Playing around in the canyons, the ND Miata's steering is very direct, but there's a moment of hesitation as the car starts to lean. Keeping the pressure on the wheel results in the car setting itself on it's bump-stops and rotating with ease. Coming off of the brakes the car feels like it wants to push just a bit, but applying a bit of throttle tightens the car's line quickly. Overall, it's a very neutral car that inspires quite a bit of confidence after you allow it to rest on the bump stops. I can only imagine how good it would be with a stiffer suspension!

I will say that outside of playing in the canyons, the car rides very well and soaks up bumps and road undulations without a care in the world.

The car I drove had the Brembo brake package and they worked great! Good feedback through the pedal and very easy to modulate. Through the downhill portion of the canyon I put them through their paces and never felt the slightest amount of fade. Unfortunately, I've never driven the “base” car, so I can't comment on the differences between the brakes.

I don't need to go into detail about the shifter and clutch setup... everyone knows it's outstanding! The gates are well spaced and defined- I never even came close to missing a gear. The clutch has a nice, low engagement point and is easy to modulate. I had a lot of fun playing with the gearbox. It's too bad people have been breaking them lately, as it's a fun shifter to row and disappointing that it might not reliably stand up to track duty. Hopefully Mazda will release an updated version of it soon.

I didn't spend too much time playing with the interior, as I was more concerned with driving, so I won't comment too much on it. I will say that it's relatively neat, well organized and all the materials you actually come into contact with (seats, shifter, steering wheel, ect) felt pretty nice. After adjusting the seat- 1 click forward from full-rear to give additional recline- it held me in place pretty well. The foot-wells are a bit tight on space, and there's something in the door that occasionally poked me in the left leg, but it wasn't much of a concern.

Overall, I came away with a much more positive impression of the ND Miata than I had the last time I drove it. It's a good car, but I think it needs a bit of work in order to be a great car. Namely, I think it needs another 40-50hp and a stiffer suspension. Basically, if it had the power to weight ratio of an S2000, and a suspension setup similar to, well, an S2000, I think it would make one hell of a performer! With a set of cams to help with the top end, a full exhaust, a tune and a decent set of coilovers, I think it would make for a fun little track/weekend/autoX car! As time goes on, I'll be curious to see how the transmission holds up as people start to add additional power....

In the end I really enjoyed the car. As a person that has owned 2 Miata's in the past (1990 NA and 2004 Mazdaspeed), I'm a fan of the recipe and I think Mazda did a pretty good job with the new ND. I know complaining about power and excessive suspension movement is going to result in some people saying that I “don't understand the new Miata”, and maybe they're right. But that doesn't change the way I feel about it.

I felt like both my NA and especially my NB MSM had significantly less body roll than the ND and that was a good thing.

I also felt like the new 2.0L engine didn't want to rev. It had plenty of low-end torque, but that's not what I want out of a dedicated sports car. Again, a set of more high-RPM oriented cams, an exhaust and a tune would likely go a long way. Yes, the new car is supposedly faster than all previous iterations, but there's something missing with the engine....

My old weak-sauce 1.6L NA was certainly slower, but that motor loved to rev and was fun to take to redline! The ND? Not so much. They've traded high-end zing for low-end torque.

And I don't care what stats on a piece of paper say, my 178hp Mazdaspeed Miata was faster than the ND. At least at my elevation. Granted, turbocharged cars have an advantage over NA cars up here, but the motor in my MSM was considerably more fun to play with.

Would I buy the ND as a weekend playtoy? Maybe. But only with the full knowledge that it wouldn't stay stock for very long! The biggest stumbling block about buying the ND Miata for me is simply the fact that the AP2 S2000 exists and addresses all of my complaints about the Miata in stock form...

Would I recommend the ND Miata? Absolutely! I still had a ton of fun driving it and believe the smiles per hour factor is very high with this one! She just needs a bit of extra love from the aftermarket to hit the “sweet spot” I'm looking for.

Due to my power robbing elevation, I'm now looking forward to driving the upcoming turbocharged Fiat 124 Spider Abarth. A bit of boost would certainly be helpful up here! As would the beefier NC gearbox they've shoved inside of it.... I'll be sure to post my thoughts about the Fiata in the upcoming months!

***PART 2*******

After I left the Mazda dealership, I stopped by my local Chevy dealership. I've read all the reviews on the new Camaro and wanted to see if it lived up to all the hype. I'll save you the suspense- it does. Sweet baby Jesus the 6th gen Camaro is good. Very good. I've driven a lot of cars over the years, and I have no problem saying that it is the best “pony” car I've ever driven. Yes, I said it. It's better than the Mustang. I understand some people won't agree with that assessment, but it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. YMMV.

-Side note: to be fair to the 2015+ Mustang, I do believe the 5.0L Coyote V8 makes a better sound (one of the best on earth!) and I prefer the Stang's powerband & gearing; but I preferred pretty much everything else about the Camaro.

Getting inside of the Camaro, I was concerned that I wouldn't hardly fit due to my size (6'2”, 210 lbs) and the car's low roof-line. Not a problem at all! I was actually very comfortable. I had about a couple of inches between my head and the roof and I felt like I could drive the car while wearing a helmet without a problem.

The seats are fantastic! Extremely soft and comfortable, while remaining supportive and keeping me in place in the canyon.

The driving position was also very good. I was able to tailor it to my size perfectly and I felt very much like I was inside of a sports-car style cockpit. Everything fell to hand easily and visibility wasn't nearly as much of an issue as I thought it would be. Yes, when backing out of a parking space, the rear pillars are massive an obscure your view; but I have a confession to make: I cheated and used the back-up camera. Problem solved.

I've seen some people complain about forward visibility, but I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe a shorter driver might have a problem with it, but I didn't really notice it during my 45 minute test drive.

Again, I didn't spend too much time playing with the interior, but it was very high quality. It had a much better fit and finish than any bow-tie product I've ever seen before it. It felt more Cadillac than Chevy inside. To say it's an improvement over the last gen Camaro is a huge understatement.

Setting off the clutch is a bit heavier than I'm used to in my Golf R, but fairly smooth and easy to modulate. The shifter is notchy, but in the best way possible. It feels much heavier than the gearbox setup in my VW (and the Miata), but had a positive engagement and I never came close to missing a gear.

Then we get to the 455hp 6.2L engine... dear lord, what an engine! Torque, torque everywhere! 455 ft-lbs of it! I've driven a lot of boosted cars and I usually can't tell that my Golf R has any perceivable turbo lag... until you drive a huge, torquey, NA V8!! I almost forgot how good the throttle response is on an engine like this!

Talk about a fast car.... people have been trapping these things in the ¼ mile at over 116mph! For those that follow drag racing, a trap like that is generally good for a high 11 second pass if you can hook up! This car has power galore, all over the rev band and it sounds great doing it.

However, there are a couple of gripes I have about the powertrain:

-The retarded 1st to 4th shift the gearbox makes you use when driving slowly. This only happened to me once while driving, but it was 1 time too many. It's a manual goddamn it, the whole point is that I can shift it however I want to whatever gear I want! Not a problem if you wrap the engine over 2000rpm, but this is something I would remedy in short order if I ever owned one.

-The gearing is too tall. I think 2nd gear hits almost 80mph! Sure, this sounds great for fuel economy and taking down on the number of shifts you need in the ¼ mile; but I'm a sports car guy that likes to wrap the motor out and play with the shifter. Yes, the motor has the torque to use the tall gearing, but a shorter final drive would really make it feel more playful.

So, speaking of sports car.... how does it handle? Better than any 3700 lbs car has a right to! I think it had the magnetic shocks, or as I'm going to call them- voodoo witchcraft shocks. The car rides very well and soaks up bumps, but when you put it in the canyons, it just stays flat!

The new Camaro has a smaller steering wheel than I've ever seen in a car this large. The turn-in is direct, immediate and had more feel than I expected for a car with an electric rack and wide tires. The body motions are controlled extremely well. Almost too well. You just point the big brawler and it goes wherever you tell it to go!

Speaking of big, the car starts to shrink around you as you drive. You can tell it's a big, heavy car, but it does a good job of masking it in the corners. It has more grip and agility than a car this size has a right to.

That actually brings me to another complaint:

-Despite being supremely planted, it actually wasn't as much fun as you might expect in the canyons. The car's overall limits are almost too high for canyon runs. I felt the same way the last time I drove a C5 Z06. Combine the car's high limits with being a wide car on a tight canyon road and you quickly realize you really can't push it anywhere close to it's limits on a public road. On an open race track, I think it would be a monster. In the canyons? I had more fun in the much slower Miata.

The brakes had plenty of stopping power and showed no signs of fade on my drive. However, I prefer the pedal feel in both the Miata and my Golf R.

Overall, I was really impressed with the new Camaro. It looks good, it's comfortable and it drives extremely well. I think it's quite a bit of car for the money.

I guess the question is: would I buy one? I don't know. It depends.

I have a family that includes 2 kids and a 50 lbs dog (he fits in the Golf R's trunk!). For me, the Camaro wouldn't work for a daily. It also snows here, so having AWD is a bonus. Another tick against the Camaro.

However, if I didn't have a family/dog and lived in a place where it didn't snow, I think I might be tempted by this machine! Or minus the family, I could see someone keeping a winter beater and driving this thing throughout the rest of the year when it's nice outside.

As a weekend playtoy car? Nope. It's very fast and very capable, but I actually had more fun driving the Miata... and if I'm being honest, my lowly VW Golf R is more fun to drive as well. The first time I remember bringing my Golf R to the same canyon road, I remember having a bigger smile on my face, likely due to the lighter weight, shorter gearing, more narrow canyon-friendly body and the ability to push it closer to it's limits.

And despite the Camaro's additional power and grip, I don't think it's any quicker on a canyon road than my VW. On a big open race track? The Camaro is certainly faster. In the windy mountain roads of Colorado? Not so much. The extra power and grip just can't be exploited on public roads. At least not by someone that values their license, or the safety of others.

Would I recommend the Camaro? Absolutely! But I would recommend it more as a daily than a weekend car. When I think weekend car, I think light-weight sports cars that aren't practical for a daily commute- Miata, S2000, Boxster/Cayman, Lotus Elise, Corvette, ect. The new Camaro certainly has sports car pedigree, but it's also just usable enough to commute or take a long road trip in.

I do know one thing: I've driven the old 4th and 5th gen Camaro's and they really don't hold a candle to this new car from GM. The General did a fine job on this one and you can color me impressed.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
6/24/16 6:26 a.m.

Awesome review thanks!

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/24/16 10:48 a.m.

Comparing an S2000 and an ND Miata as stock cars the ND Miata is gonna come out slower and softer every time. Fact is though the ND with a stiffer suspension and some minor exhaust changes and a tune beat the crap out of the S2000 in STR at the Toledo Pro Solo. Top 3 spots out of 20+ drivers were ND Miatas.

According to Goodwin there is another 50hp and 50lb/ft in a tune and exhaust on the ND. Ha, we'll see if that is true, but there is definitely more to be had from the car even if it isn't that much.

At elevation of course a turbo Miata is going to be better than a naturally aspirated one, but the Mazdaspeed Miata is just not a good turbo Miata.

Regarding the Camaro, as an autocrosser I'd appreciate having higher gearing in second especially with that amount of power. Not sure what lower gearing on that car ends up giving you except an excessive amount of wheelspin in lower gears.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/24/16 11:15 a.m.

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts. I've not driven either car and as capable as the new pony cars are, they are not on my radar to purchase. The most fun I've had driving on public roads has been in my Mini that is pretty much the definition of small, light and low powered, but lord is it fun on a twisty road or an autocross. Wouldn't do anything but get in the way on a track.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/16 11:52 a.m.

Come out to High Plains Raceway tomorrow to feel what an ND with upgraded suspension feels like. I'll be there with ours.

And I've had S2000s give me point-bys on the track with a bone stock engine, so maybe they're not THAT slow It's worth noting that an AP1 S2000 pulls about 205 rwhp (measured on our dyno) while an ND pulls 150 rwhp. The Honda is right around 2800 lbs, the Miata 2300. The power/weight isn't as far off as you'd think - an extra 20 hp would even them out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/16 3:27 p.m.

Read this and really thought that the title should have been "Neither a ND Miata or a Camaro is better then a VW"

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 3:57 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Read this and really thought that the title should have been "Neither a ND Miata or a Camaro is better then a VW"

Except for the part where both are better built, more reliable and didn't cheat on emissions.

Chadeux
Chadeux Reader
6/24/16 3:59 p.m.
NickD wrote: didn't cheat on emissions.

That's what they want you to think...probably.

NickD
NickD Dork
6/24/16 4:05 p.m.
Chadeux wrote:
NickD wrote: didn't cheat on emissions.
That's what they want you to think...probably.

Okay, they did a better job at cheating emissions. How's that?

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
6/24/16 4:54 p.m.

Great reviews, sounds like a lot of fun. After driving them all, I still thought the mustang was the best deal. Not MSRP but what I actually had to pay for one of them.

mapper
mapper Reader
6/24/16 5:32 p.m.

The 2016 Camaro is amazing and is going to dominate any motorsports class it's in. It was on my list but I still think the Mustang has more helmet room. And not made by GM (But that's another story).

Type Q
Type Q SuperDork
6/24/16 5:54 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Come out to High Plains Raceway tomorrow to feel what an ND with upgraded suspension feels like. I'll be there with ours...

You should have him drive one of your V8 MX-5's. The best of both cars reviewed.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
6/24/16 6:28 p.m.
I'll immediately address the pink elephant in the room about the Miata: power. It needs more.

Nice reviews, but i find it sadly ironic that the first time Mazda makes a Miata run a mid 14 second 1/4 mile (which is WAAAY quicker than any stock non-turbo Miata before), people are still complaining about power. I'm guessing elevation is a huge factor in your perception here.

Keith Tanner
6/24/16 6:33 p.m.
Type Q wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: Come out to High Plains Raceway tomorrow to feel what an ND with upgraded suspension feels like. I'll be there with ours...
You should have him drive one of your V8 MX-5's. The best of both cars reviewed.

I'll also have the most powerful Miata to ever spin up our dyno with me. But I don't hand over the keys to a weapon like that.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
6/24/16 7:44 p.m.

I recently drove a new Camaro SS as well and was blown away. GM nailed it on this one....can't imagine what the ZL1 will be like.

mapper
mapper Reader
6/24/16 9:36 p.m.
Cotton wrote: I recently drove a new Camaro SS as well and was blown away. GM nailed it on this one....can't imagine what the ZL1 will be like.

Earthshaking from what I've read. I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing Camaros return to the Continental Challenge series to run against the GT350Rs just to see some hopefully epic battles.

Keith Tanner
6/25/16 7:41 p.m.

Nobody asked me today what the ND felt like with the Fox suspension, so I'm guessing the OP didn't show. I spent my time playing tag with a race prepped E36 M3 (the sort that has no license plate and NASA stickers) and was outrunning him despite my horsepower deficit. We were both having an excellent time. He could not believe my corner speed The ND generates ridiculous grip, and I was driving it like a 1.6 Miata with my foot to the floor. It was fun jumping back and forth between the V8 and the ND. Two very different iterations of a very similar car.

I cannot wait to get V8 power in the ND chassis, it's going to be epic.

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 7:53 p.m.
Harvey wrote: Comparing an S2000 and an ND Miata as stock cars the ND Miata is gonna come out slower and softer every time. Fact is though the ND with a stiffer suspension and some minor exhaust changes and a tune beat the crap out of the S2000 in STR at the Toledo Pro Solo. Top 3 spots out of 20+ drivers were ND Miatas. According to Goodwin there is another 50hp and 50lb/ft in a tune and exhaust on the ND. Ha, we'll see if that is true, but there is definitely more to be had from the car even if it isn't that much. At elevation of course a turbo Miata is going to be better than a naturally aspirated one, but the Mazdaspeed Miata is just not a good turbo Miata. Regarding the Camaro, as an autocrosser I'd appreciate having higher gearing in second especially with that amount of power. Not sure what lower gearing on that car ends up giving you except an excessive amount of wheelspin in lower gears.

You know, I keep hearing that the ND is going to be a monster in STR. Unfortunately, I work weekends, so any hopes of competitively autoXing anything aren't going to happen; at least not for a while.

My problem is that I've driven both the ND and AP2 S2000 stock and had a good bit more fun in the S2000. With the ND, I have to imagine what it will feel like modded. Whereas the S2000 brought a larger smile to my face straight out of the box.

Also, the number of transmission problems people are having with the ND is a bit disconcerting. I would hate to buy an ND, modify it, break a transmission and be left with a hefty non-warrantied bill due to a design flaw.

For that reason, I'm actually looking forward to driving the Fiat 124 Spider Abarth! Extra boost to help at elevation and the stronger NC tranny.

People say a lot of bad things about the Mazdaspeed Miata and I get it. I know that FM has turbo setups for NA/NB's that are far superior, but I got my old MSM for several grand below book value on it and just couldn't pass it up! I only mentioned my old MSM because despite it's "sub-par" turbo setup, the engine was considerably more fun to rev than the ND's mill.

Lastly, I understand that there are some benefits to having tall gears in the Camaro. That doesn't change the fact that I think it would be more fun to drive with shorter gears. 2nd gear literally hits 80mph. Translation? You can't wrap the car out in 2nd gear anywhere on a public road without breaking the legal speed limit! For an autoX, it's fine. For a fun street car, I would rather have shorter gearing to play with the engine. To each his own I suppose.

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 8:14 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: Come out to High Plains Raceway tomorrow to feel what an ND with upgraded suspension feels like. I'll be there with ours. And I've had S2000s give me point-bys on the track with a bone stock engine, so maybe they're not THAT slow It's worth noting that an AP1 S2000 pulls about 205 rwhp (measured on our dyno) while an ND pulls 150 rwhp. The Honda is right around 2800 lbs, the Miata 2300. The power/weight isn't as far off as you'd think - an extra 20 hp would even them out.
Keith Tanner wrote: Nobody asked me today what the ND felt like with the Fox suspension, so I'm guessing the OP didn't show. I spent my time playing tag with a race prepped E36 M3 (the sort that has no license plate and NASA stickers) and was outrunning him despite my horsepower deficit. We were both having an excellent time. He could not believe my corner speed The ND generates ridiculous grip, and I was driving it like a 1.6 Miata with my foot to the floor. It was fun jumping back and forth between the V8 and the ND. Two very different iterations of a very similar car. I cannot wait to get V8 power in the ND chassis, it's going to be epic.

I really appreciate the offer buddy, but unfortunately, I work weekends.

I'm sure you've passed plenty of S2000's out at High Plains! However, I've heard stories about your driving abilities, so I'm not entirely convinced that the driver couldn't have been a big factor there.

I had no idea the ND put down 150whp on your dyno! I'm assuming those are all corrected numbers.... Are you guys of the opinion that the ND is underrated? I'm telling you buddy, I've driven a couple ND's and they just felt dog slow. They didn't feel like they were even comparable to the AP2 S2000's I've driven at our elevation. Was the S2000 you guys dyno'd an AP1 or AP2? I've seen a few dynos suggesting the AP2's put down a bit more power than the AP1; not that it matters much.

I'm assuming there are a few contributing factors to the ND feeling so slow to me:

-2 out of 3 of my test drives, I was accompanied by a hefty salesman (250+ lbs).

-Engines were still in the break-in period and will likely gain a bit more power over time.

-Dealer likely filled them with 85 octane piss water.

-Maybe the ECU hasn't fully adapted to our elevation? I've had this happen before with previous cars where coming from sea level to a mile high, it seemed like they adjusted fuel trims & timing and picked up a bit more power after a week or so of driving.

Honestly, I would love to come check out a modded ND! If you guys ever come out to High Plains on a Tues-Thurs, please shoot me a message! Will pay for ND rides!

Otherwise, you guys are about 4 hours west of me on I-70 and I don't make it that far west very often... I might have to schedule some time to stop by your shop one of these days. I have a bit of family that isn't terribly far away from you down in Montrose; I'm sure I can come up with an excuse to sell to the little lady!

Any chance you can share roughly how much power the ND is making with bolt-ons at high elevation?

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 8:28 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Read this and really thought that the title should have been "Neither a ND Miata or a Camaro is better then a VW"

Well played, sir!

For the record:

-The ND Miata is more fun in the canyons than my VW.

-The Camaro is certainly a much faster car than my VW. Even at my high elevation, where boosted cars have an advantage.

However, the VW is a better daily than both of them, for a lot of good reasons- usable back seat, very usable hatchback trunk- not only does my dog fit back there, I recently picked up a new lawnmower from Home Depot in the VW! Decent fuel economy, great seats, plenty of power (292hp), AWD for the winter, lots of low & mid-range torque, smooth shifter, soft clutch, very nice Audi-esque interior, strong yet easy to modulate brakes, good ride quality, comfortable for long trips, ect.

The VW is not as focused as the other 2 cars here. It's certainly a compromise and a damn good one at that. If the Miata is a scalpel and the Camaro is a finely honed sword, then the VW would be more like a swiss army knife- it's just good at a lot of things, like most "hot hatches".

But there's no doubt- roadsters will always be more fun to me! One of these days I'll be putting another roadster in my garage, right next to my VW....

Keith Tanner
6/26/16 8:37 p.m.

I'm not that hot a driver, people like to come up with that excuse if I manage to catch a car they don't think I should catch

The ND is putting down 150 rwhp stock, yes. It's a very efficient drivetrain, far more than most longitudinal RWD setups are. It's also possible it's slightly underrated, as the S2000 yesterday wasn't pulling away on the straights. I was able to put nearly a lap on him in a session. The flat torque curve of the ND tends to mask its speed, the exact opposite of a high revving engine with a VTEC change, so you may find it's faster than you expect from a non-instrumented test drive. Our numbers are corrected for altitude, which is quite consistent for altitude. We've also dynoed one of our cars in Atlanta, and got identical numbers.

The S2000 we dynoed was an AP1, as noted. Interestingly, our numbers are slightly higher for that car than you typically find in forum discussions. I've never been presented with an AP2 to put on the rollers, as we only use our dyno for in-house R&D. And from what we've personally tested, I view most of the power gain claims out there with a considerable amount of skepticism. 6-8 hp from a tune is plausible, anything beyond that less so.

85 octane would be a problem.

I was at HPR with the ND at Track Night in America last week on a Wednesday night Not sure that'll happen again. As you noticed, we're 4 hours away and so we don't make the trip all that often. But you're welcome to drop in and check things out. Just give us some advance warning, as our R&D cars do spend time disassembled as part of their lifestyle.

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 8:44 p.m.
Vigo wrote:
I'll immediately address the pink elephant in the room about the Miata: power. It needs more.
Nice reviews, but i find it sadly ironic that the first time Mazda makes a Miata run a mid 14 second 1/4 mile (which is WAAAY quicker than any stock non-turbo Miata before), people are still complaining about power. I'm guessing elevation is a huge factor in your perception here.

That's certainly possible. I listed a bunch of other factors above as well (hefty salesman in the car, low octane fuel, ECU adaptation, break-in period, ect).

Probably doesn't help that my daily is a turbocharged (boost helps at elevation) Golf R with 292hp and makes 280 ft-lbs of torque at only 1800rpm. The guys at C&D recently had a comparo with a manual Golf R running the 1/4 mile in 13.6@105mph:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2016-ford-focus-rs-vs-2015-subaru-wrx-sti-2016-volkswagen-golf-r-final-scoring-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5

By comparison, C&D only ran the ND at 14.6@95mph:

http://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/mx-5-miata

^^^A 10mph difference in trap speeds is going to feel pretty drastic. Then add an elevation (5200 ft) where the boosted car is only losing roughly half the power and the gap gets even bigger. Hard to overcome that perception.

It probably doesn't help that I also drive a 355hp V8 at work.

Could just be my perception, but the ND felt pretty slow. Although the ND's powerband certainly wasn't helping that equation- it's not very rev-happy. I honestly feel like my old NA6 was more fun to rev-out.

And I don't know why, but it really did feel significantly slower than the last couple of AP2 S2000's I drove... I would really love to take a modded ND for a spin and see the difference.

Also looking forward to the Fiata for reasons listed above- NC tranny, elevation helping boost and allegedly it has a slightly stiffer suspension.

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 8:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: I'm not that hot a driver, people like to come up with that excuse if I manage to catch a car they don't think I should catch The ND is putting down 150 rwhp stock, yes. It's a very efficient drivetrain, far more than most longitudinal RWD setups are. It's also possible it's slightly underrated, as the S2000 yesterday wasn't pulling away on the straights. I was able to put nearly a lap on him in a session. The flat torque curve of the ND tends to mask its speed, the exact opposite of a high revving engine with a VTEC change, so you may find it's faster than you expect from a non-instrumented test drive. Our numbers are corrected for altitude, which is quite consistent for altitude. We've also dynoed one of our cars in Atlanta, and got identical numbers. The S2000 we dynoed was an AP1, as noted. Interestingly, our numbers are slightly higher for that car than you typically find in forum discussions. I've never been presented with an AP2 to put on the rollers, as we only use our dyno for in-house R&D. And from what we've personally tested, I view most of the power gain claims out there with a considerable amount of skepticism. 6-8 hp from a tune is plausible, anything beyond that less so. 85 octane would be a problem. I was at HPR with the ND at Track Night in America last week on a Wednesday night Not sure that'll happen again. As you noticed, we're 4 hours away and so we don't make the trip all that often. But you're welcome to drop in and check things out. Just give us some advance warning, as our R&D cars do spend time disassembled as part of their lifestyle.

Keith, as always, your posts are greatly appreciated, sir!

That's a valid point about the perception of speed based on powerband. However, from the numbers I've seen, the AP2 S2000's look to trap about 5mph higher in the 1/4, which would indicate a pretty decent gap in straight line speed to me.

I was just speculating about the 85 octane, as I have no idea what the dealers are filling them with. Just curious, assuming that was the truth, any idea how much power would be lost?

6-8 hp seems more reasonable for a tune. I've seen some of the outrageous claims people have been putting out over on Miata.net lately and was a bit skeptical to say the least. I figured I would wait until you guys at FM started putting out parts for the ND before I put much stock into it.

Thanks again for all the info and feedback buddy, I appreciate it!

roninsoldier83
6/26/16 9:25 p.m.

I just asked the dealer and apparently the ND Miata I drove the other day was filled with 87 octane. I wonder how much of a difference 91 octane would make...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bhzNrXd18ieHkcaCoKfj3MsCYlT6vmg6MPGECoDxXt8ffT8Fi0WWe5m0LKukRGwD