Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Digital Experience Director
1/7/19 4:23 p.m.

This article is from a past issue of the magazine. Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published, and get access to our full digital archive, by subscribing to Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Tom Suddard, Miles Wilson, and Ed Higginbotham • Photos by Anthony Neste, David S. Wallens, Tom Suddard, Ed Higganbotham, and Scott R. Lear

Racing is hard. Doing it on a budget is even harder. Every year, we challenge our readers to do just that. Welcome to our $2017 Challenge.

The dollar figure represents each team’s maximum budget, and coincides with the year of the event. Entrants must spend that sum–or less–to build a car for our three-tiered competition, which includes autocross, drag racing and concours judging.

Low buck doesn’t mean slow or boring. The Grassroots Motorsports $2017 Challenge, which was held October 20 and 21 at Gainesville Raceway in Gainesville, Florida, was one for the record books: A top engineering college took top honors, while we saw a quarter-mile drag pass deep into the 9s–quick enough to embarrass every production car ever made and then some.

Wreck no more: Once the scores were totaled, Wreck Racing’s insane Honda Insight took the top prize: a giant trophy and a new welder from Miller Electric. Think you have what it takes to beat them? The $2018 Challenge will be held October 12‒13 in Gainesville, Florida. Tons of photos, full details and rules can be found at grmchallenge.com. We’ll see you in October, and don’t forget that there’s no charge to spectate.

Read the rest of the story

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/7/19 5:38 p.m.

Still doesn’t get old.  

rdcyclist
rdcyclist Reader
1/7/19 10:45 p.m.

This is great! I hope you can do this for the other years too. I'm pretty sure there are other noobs like me that would love to read these details about each entrant.

Thank you!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
1/8/19 8:08 a.m.

Awesome article See you all this fall! All way's a fun getaway.

Our Preferred Partners
cC5wVGpzT3B9tP2G7rwXBFn4wulOVCf51OsIZNEOyYN8rYG0mglcX9i3dDS0Icgp