Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/25/08 7:24 p.m.

I know there are a bunch of guys that are/were in Portland so I figured this would be a good place to start. I'm in need of some pretty random stuff for a handful of car projects I've got going on, I really need to spend a few hours wandering around a U-Pull type yard getting odds and ends and just brainstorming in general. I have only been to a couple around my place in Portland and they were pretty crummy...small selection, completely random pricing (great one time, horrible the next), poorly organized, etc. I've been to some awesome yards in the Detroit area (Parts Galore in particular) and Spokane (Pick 'n Pull? next to Spalding's), but haven't found such a treasure chest in Portland.

So, you guys have any good recommendations? I'm fine travelling, heck, I'll drive to Salem (or similar distance) with the Soyburban for the right yard. Ideally the place would have a good mix of foreign and domestic, but even that is flexible.

Thanks a bunch!

Bryce

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/08 12:25 a.m.

The U-Pull in Damascas and Tigard are a little better than the one on Foster, etc. Otherwise I don't know of too many myself.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/26/08 8:09 p.m.

I went to the U-Pull-It in Damascus today, it had a pretty good selection of early 90s and back stuff but very little newer than the early 90s, both domestics and foreign (good mix of European and Japanese too). I was surprised to see so much old stuff, including 4 (FOUR!) Corvairs, two Bugs, an Edsel, and a '66 International Travelall. Prices were reasonable, but they nickle and dime you on entry/exit charges. $2 to get in, and on the way out there was another environmental fee ($1.50) plus a core charge ($1) on a thermostat housing. Seriously, a $1 core charge on a $4 thermostat housing? Weird.

I would still like to find a U-Pull with a bit newer stuff. If any of you Portlanders have any other recommendations I'm all ears. It's been a while since I went to a U-Pull, it sure is fun to see so many different designs in such a short period. Saab wins today's "WTF?!?" award. I struggled to get a cooling hose off for several minutes because the accessories were in the way....on the firewall. WTF Saab?!?

Bryce

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/27/08 1:41 p.m.

I don't have anything new to add...just further confirming that Tigard and Damascus seem to be the best local bets, but sometimes I stop by Foster for a peek because it isn't too far out of the way.

When I lived down in Corvallis, we used to have good luck with a junkyarding loop, Corvallis, Albany, Jefferson, Turner (just south of Salem) and back...but, that was 8-10 years ago, so I can't vouch for those yards these days.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/27/08 5:04 p.m.

Look up CARS, Inc (Columbia Auto Recyclers) in Rainier, OR. They have a treasure trove and are one of the last "old school" you-pull type yards around.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/27/08 7:56 p.m.

P71...does "old school" mean they don't have much new model stuff, that mean they don't nickel and dime you, that you have to knock on the door with a certain rhythm to get in, or some combination?

ae86andkp61, I came up with a few locations when I googled Foster...is there a certain location that is U-pull? Their website doesn't lead me to believe they are a U-pull at all, so I think I'm getting mixed up on the location.

Thanks guys.

Bryce

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/08 9:24 p.m.

There's FAP.... Foster Auto Parts and they aren't a U-Pull shop, they tend to specialize in newer vehicles, but they tend to be expensive.

There is a U-Pull-It next door, but their selection isn't as good as Damascas, etc

P71
7/27/08 11:27 p.m.

CARS has stuff from the 50's to modern stuff. The vast majority is mid-80's to late 90's. Not much 00-newer stuff. Prices are dirt cheap, you have free reign of the yard, and they're open all the time. LOTS of good stuff there. You could easily assemble a Top-10 $2008 Challenge car using only what's in their yard.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/28/08 3:35 a.m.

Sounds like I'll have to check out this CARS joint. Late 90's would be a big improvement over early 90's for late-model stuff. It's kind of a haul from here, thank goodness the Soyburban has a full tank of veggie oil.

Bryce

P71
7/28/08 8:02 a.m.

Just roll up I5 into Longview, take Exit 36 (Industrial area), then surface-street it to the Rainier Bridge. No entry/exit fee.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett New Reader
7/28/08 8:13 a.m.

Come on over to my place.

You pull it!

And then I'll go get your part!

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/30/08 5:30 p.m.

Yeah...I was talking about the U-Pull-It near Foster Auto Parts just off Foster.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
F0jc7pGMQ4SWOl7y5IK7XbUUx1jb7CQ609qRqulJ0ozXVitANAL9IB9LLRjEKaDO