1 2
ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 12:49 p.m.

Will be transporting an automobile this weekend with my 2008 Saturn Outlook AWD. Car is FWD and I am thinking about picking up a tow dolly to bring it from Charlotte to Pittsburgh. Tow dolly is 89 and trailer is 120. Any reason why I should get the trailer over the dolly?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
4/17/14 12:52 p.m.

You can not back the dolly. Will you need reverse?

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 12:52 p.m.

What are you picking up here in charlotte?

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 12:53 p.m.

Depends on the rear tires, if they're good then the dolly should be fine, dont know about going up the grade on 77 with driving an outlook towing a car but I would think it should be fine

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/17/14 12:54 p.m.

Trailer is safer period. I look at the times I got dollies and think, "How stupid was I?"

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 12:54 p.m.

You can back up with a dolly its just a royal p.i.t.a.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 12:56 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote: What are you picking up here in charlotte?

A car.

Sounds like the trailer might be the safest bet. For $30 it seems like the way to go.

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 1:00 p.m.

Yeah probably, but how many great stories start with "I took the safe way"

Powar
Powar SuperDork
4/17/14 1:16 p.m.

The dolly is lighter (less strain on the Outlook, which I'm assuming lacks a brake controller or massive torque) and should be sufficient for a FWD car. I've towed cars across the country with them without issues, personally. I have a trailer now and do prefer it for most things, but there's nothing inherently wrong with using the dolly.

eebasist
eebasist Reader
4/17/14 1:19 p.m.

You'll want the dolly. The trailer weighs 2x as much and your outlook doesn't have much towing capacity to spare

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/17/14 1:20 p.m.
Powar wrote: I have a trailer now and do prefer it for most things, but there's nothing inherently wrong with using the dolly.

This is true, but the last time I got home (safely) and said, "Oh E36 M3, there is no steering lock."

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
4/17/14 1:43 p.m.

Where is the adventure? Just use a chain in a pipe.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UltraDork
4/17/14 1:55 p.m.

If the car has wheels on the ground, it typically has to be plated and insured. (throughout most of north america). Some states I don't think that is required, but I'm also Canadian so YMMV ;)

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
4/17/14 2:06 p.m.

i dont know what the tow rating of the subaru is but some uhauls can be really picky about what is towing and what is being towed.

and i say dolly if the car being towed is up to it and you dont have to back it up, i had to back my race truck into the driveway when i picked it up with a dolly... a lot of binding and tire squealing...

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 2:40 p.m.

Interesting about the plates theory.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
4/17/14 2:45 p.m.

Only some states. In some states if the dolly has a plate the car doesn't need one.

One thing about a dolly and tires: you always have two extra spares.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
4/17/14 3:00 p.m.

I've done both and would say trailer if the Outlook can handle it - UHaul car trailers are HEAVY. The benefit of the trailer is that you don't have to worry about the condition of the vehicle on it. The dolly requires the rear tires and bearings of the car to be in good shape. As for the plate thing - I dolly'd my untitled, unlicensed, uninsured, Golf racecar for 4 years and never got a second glance from LEO - NC doesn't require dollys to be licensed. You could put a sign in the towed car's window indicating its in transit and you should have the notarized title or bill of sale with you anyway. Its very difficult to back up a dolly, loaded or empty. My Golf didn't have steering lock either, still no problem going from Asheville to Kershaw and back.

NONACK
NONACK Reader
4/17/14 3:03 p.m.

I punched your tow vehicle into uhaul's site and it showed the trailer as OK and the dolly as "not an option." I assumed you were towing a CRX and had a 5000lb hitch rating. If you haven't given them the actual towed/towing combo I'd check it.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 3:13 p.m.
NONACK wrote: I punched your tow vehicle into uhaul's site and it showed the trailer as OK and the dolly as "not an option." I assumed you were towing a CRX and had a 5000lb hitch rating. If you haven't given them the actual towed/towing combo I'd check it.

That depends on availability I believe. I have been using uHaul's site and it brings up both with my Saturn AWD and 5k hitch rating. I just want to be the safest because I'm carrying my family with me as well.

chrispy
chrispy Reader
4/17/14 3:32 p.m.

Dolly, you'll be way too heavy with the trailer, IMHO. 77 out of NC is no joke, as was mentioned above.

ryanty22
ryanty22 New Reader
4/17/14 3:37 p.m.

Might want to go the long way back up north (85n out of charlotte into Va to catch 95 up to philly), more miles but you avoid the wear and tear of towing a car with your outlook through the mountains up and down hills and windy roads. I have an Outlook XR also and as good as its been to me and the fam that kinda trip would make me nervous For your fam and your SUV

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
4/17/14 7:35 p.m.
eebasist wrote: You'll want the dolly. The trailer weighs 2x as much and your outlook doesn't have much towing capacity to spare

I thought the Outlook was good for 5k lbs? That should be sufficient if the car is light. Not if it's an old Cadillac or much of anything modern though. UHaul trailer is about 2200lbs empty.

Edit: If you're going to have the family in there too, you're going to be over the gross vehicle weight. The 5000-lb rating is assuming no other weight in the car beyond the driver, IIRC.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/17/14 7:53 p.m.

I have shown this before - I felt it was a little hard for our 2003 Trailblazer to tow a stripped out Datsun and the UHaul trailer.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/17/14 7:55 p.m.

For some reason I was addicted to parting out super crappy Datsun's.......

ScreaminE
ScreaminE Reader
4/17/14 7:57 p.m.

Spoke with my Dad who towed my Miata with his 2004 F-250 FX4 Diesel up here from Charlotte. He instantly said "Tow dolly." He said he could really feel the uhaul trailer behind his truck.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cIdG3qclx6yiXsZHSHD3HXrHZThl5Xd3FR2UgRUvXIPKDUChBDMsCORBfN5gddJO