1 2 3
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/24/19 10:13 a.m.

We have had a couple of them show up for autocrosses. Not super fast, but not slow either. With some tuning and a decent set of tires it would be a hoot. 

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/24/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

I will say those cars are being let down by drivers or are the lesser trims. I was hugely impressed by the performance of the Model 3 Performance and it will take a unique style to drive, but the suspension geometry is solid and they can fit a 275 tire on the stock rims and under the stock fenders.... Whitener stated that the front suspension is identical to an EG Civic. 

Toyman01
6/24/19 11:06 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

The ones I've seen were as delivered. Crappy tires and all. They don't have the grip with OEM tires and would push out on the corners. No clue about the drivers themselves.

spacecadet
6/24/19 11:07 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Fair, I forgot the base cars aren't delivering on PS4S like the performance does.. 

Toyman01
6/24/19 12:33 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

A set of 275 RE71s would make me want to try my hand at driving it. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/24/19 2:08 p.m.
spacecadet said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Fair, I forgot the base cars aren't delivering on PS4S like the performance does.. 

Just drove my MIL’s Model 3 Performance for the first time and was surprised to see the big brake kit and such sticky tires. What a huge departure from every other EV out there.

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/24/19 2:17 p.m.
nderwater said:
spacecadet said:

In reply to Toyman01 :

Just drove my MIL’s Model 3 Performance for the first time and was surprised to see the big brake kit and such sticky tires. What a huge departure from every other EV out there.

Every other?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/24/19 2:47 p.m.

This isnt making me want a Tesla any less. 

spacecadet
6/24/19 3:34 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

It's certainly not supposed to. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/24/19 5:40 p.m.

I flogged a performance model Tesla 3 and while the acceleration is pretty mind boggling, and the handling is OK if you drive it right, I couldn't quite get around the fact that it was still a 4200 lb. car. My take was that while it would be capable of excellent autocross times, it would not be the most enjoyable way of posting those times. 

einy
einy HalfDork
6/24/19 7:15 p.m.

Any idea what availability / wait time is for a 3 these days, particularly with the Performance Pack on it?

cdeforrest
cdeforrest New Reader
6/24/19 8:25 p.m.

In reply to einy :

I hit the configuator the other day for a base model (40k..not 35 anymore ) and it said 2 weeks (just like my bldg contractor)

spacecadet
6/24/19 8:51 p.m.

In reply to cdeforrest :

the base model $35k car is only available by calling or visiting a showroom. they will not sell you one online. it was the software limited standard range model. 

the new base online is the standard range Plus model. 

spacecadet
6/24/19 9:07 p.m.

In reply to einy :

you can probably buy one that's in stock. i was looking and there was 5 at the showrooms here in DFW available for immediate purchase. and that was just the performance trim level, there was more of the lower trim levels. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
6/25/19 6:52 a.m.

Somebody probably needs this, and unfortunately, I don’t think it’s me :/

Kreb
6/25/19 9:56 a.m.

How about this?:  https://www.wired.com/story/simone-giertz-tesla-pickup-model-3-truckla/

I did my test drive at the factory a week ago. There were hundreds of 3s awaiting shipment.

spacecadet
6/25/19 10:26 a.m.
Kreb said:

I flogged a performance model Tesla 3 and while the acceleration is pretty mind boggling, and the handling is OK if you drive it right, I couldn't quite get around the fact that it was still a 4200 lb. car. My take was that while it would be capable of excellent autocross times, it would not be the most enjoyable way of posting those times. 

I would fully fall on the other side of the fence, It was a hoot for me. They're heavy but David said his is a shade under 4000. either way, the dynamics on power are phenomenal with the way the computer sends power to the front and rear. I firmly am ready to see what comes next in EV's and how it affects track fun and autox. 

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
6/25/19 10:38 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Somebody probably needs this, and unfortunately, I don’t think it’s me :/

Uh... this dude or dudette needs a new son, and I know someone who'd be the right person for the job.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/25/19 10:47 a.m.

In reply to bcp2011 :

Seriously, who buys a new Tesla for their daughter ..

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
6/25/19 10:50 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

And what type of daugter will refuse such a car?!?!  

"Daddy... everyone at school has a G wagon, and I need it b/c I don't want to be stranded on the side of a highway with no access to a charging station..."

Sorry for the OT.. back to normal programming.  cheeky

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
6/25/19 12:43 p.m.
cdeforrest said:

In reply to einy :

I hit the configuator the other day for a base model (40k..not 35 anymore ) and it said 2 weeks (just like my bldg contractor)

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
6/25/19 1:45 p.m.
trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/25/19 1:50 p.m.

We have a couple of guys autocrossing a Tesla 3 Performance locally.  It's quick!

Kreb
6/26/19 11:19 a.m.
spacecadet said:
Kreb said:

I would fully fall on the other side of the fence, It was a hoot for me. They're heavy but David said his is a shade under 4000. either way, the dynamics on power are phenomenal with the way the computer sends power to the front and rear. I firmly am ready to see what comes next in EV's and how it affects track fun and autox. 

I'm not in the anti-EV camp at all. Seriously considering one for my wife's next car. But the Tesla salesman let us take the car to a deserted industrial park where we set up a very simple course: A roughly 1/8 mile straightaway with roundabouts on either end. The acceleration, as I said, was phenomenal - like they'd taken the peak power moment of the fastest car that I've ever driven and made it available continuously - from 0 RPM up. But after two or three hard applications of the brakes they were smoking. As for the cornering, if you just turned into the corner in a neutral condition the Michelin Pilot HP tires would howl terribly and the thing would plow. If you powered through the turn it would set up a nice neutral balance, but as someone who does his enthusiast driving in sub-2000 lb cars, the weight was impossible to conceal and not my cup of tea.

That said, it's clearly the future. I'm excited to see the development as well, although slightly disconcerted.  

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
6/26/19 2:33 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

As someone with a low weight car I get where you're coming from completely.  But the issues you've noted seem like easy fixes.  I'm also considering replacing the wife's car with a 3 or a Y in the next couple of years, and if we end up with the 3 I'd be curious to take it to the track just once to see how it performs at the limit.  q

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MV38oGcUFqdGv3PzEr6magjMBlXbMSSc9oVPU2nB8u2aQTaolkWsQpVx3Go81s7l