Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder SuperDork
6/26/08 8:33 a.m.

One of the most important aspects of car setup is the static weight distribution and the cross-weight percentage. Why? Picture the following:

Your car is really fast in right-hand turns, but understeers in left turns. If you get the car neutral in left turns, it oversteers in right turns. The situation is frustrating. You've tried springs, shocks, different bars, neutralizing the anti-roll bar, and nothing seems to work. Even on a track with mostly right-hand turns, the problem in the left-hand turns cost a lot of time.

While several different setup parameters could have caused this situation, a likely cause is excessive cross-weight.

Read the rest of the story

te72
te72 New Reader
1/3/18 11:33 p.m.

Thanks for posting this. I've read all the info before, in various places, but it's good to have a refresher. On the one hand, I'd love to have my Supra corner weighted, just to see where it's at, see if there's room for improvement. On the other hand, it drives really, REALLY good for being setup by this idiot behind the keyboard, and I really don't wanna spoil a good setup by chasing after a perfect setup... at least not yet.

Would be interesting to see how close to ideal I got it though, given how well it handles already. Basically so long as I don't completely overcook a corner entry, it does better than any car this heavy has any right to...

Justin
Justin None
5/15/18 2:07 p.m.

Good stuff. I've had my cars corner balanced a lot, but never really looked into the science of it. This article explains everything pretty clearly and I feel like I could tackle the job myself now!

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/16/18 4:12 p.m.

I see disconnecting the sway bar, and how to do it, but disconnect the shocks?

Cloud9...68
Cloud9...68 New Reader
11/16/18 5:23 p.m.
Toebra said:

I see disconnecting the sway bar, and how to do it, but disconnect the shocks?

I had the same question.  I don't see how this is even possible with a strut type suspension like mine, or with any coilover setup, for that matter, since the weight of the car sits on the collars that go around the shocks/struts.

freetors
freetors Reader
11/16/18 7:52 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

Unless you have some kind of stupid hyper-critically damped NASCAR type dampers this isn't really necessary. To get good accuracy easily make sure you get the low hanging fruit first like removing the friction between the tires and the scales so there is no bind. Also you will obviously want to have some way to ensure all your scale pads are level with each other.

te72
te72 Reader
11/16/18 9:05 p.m.

I would imagine that disconnecting the shocks is only applicable to setups where the shock and spring are separate, like a lot of solid axle cars, or Mk2 Supras in my experience.

iwannarace
iwannarace New Reader
11/16/18 9:36 p.m.

Funny. I dropped my integra off at edge to have this done today. looking forward to getting it back!

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
11/16/18 10:44 p.m.

Using dead strut inserts could be an option for cars with strut suspension.

Our Preferred Partners
TKwv0aTLC0zhKg2051USfuqxiK1uCtfdbLXTpAFRl0E1PVM8ZmC7p2W0ahkcIhjv