1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/29/16 9:59 a.m.

Oh man, this is giving me bad thoughts now.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/29/16 10:05 a.m.

When I have some time, I'd love to try a simple quick-and dirty draw-through setup with as single Weber carb and a smallish turbo. Non-intercooled. Should be good for about 8 or 9 psi, which would bring a low-compression B18 up to around 130-140 HP. In a car just south of 2500 pounds with driver and fuel onboard, that would be a lot of fun.

volvoclearinghouse
8/29/16 10:06 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

And that's on a RHD car!

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/29/16 10:27 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: When I have some time, I'd love to try a simple quick-and dirty draw-through setup with as single Weber carb and a smallish turbo. Non-intercooled. Should be good for about 8 or 9 psi, which would bring a low-compression B18 up to around 130-140 HP. In a car just south of 2500 pounds with driver and fuel onboard, that would be a lot of fun.

My problem is I'm such a nerd, I'd have to do an EFI conversion and do sequential injection.

I bet I could do it for under $2k, but I'd be using some company resources which would kind of disqualify me.

volvoclearinghouse
8/29/16 10:46 a.m.

Yeah or you could get a used Weber and a rebuild kit, a rebuilt turbo with fuel-tolerant seals, and weld up some pipe, for under $500, and possibly have it running in a weekend.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/29/16 10:57 p.m.

I'm trying to find information on external dimensions; what about a Ford SROD? Not the strongest thing but 200hp on street tires probably won't kill one, maybe? Maybe a 2.0 Pinto in front of it?

Or just stick with Volvo power, it sounds like vch here has you covered or can steer you in the right direction. I wonder about one of the older 16v engines and whatever O/D manual fits the engine and the car.

volvoclearinghouse
8/30/16 6:45 a.m.

I toyed with the idea of trying a Duratec or something in an Amazon. Could be fun.

They did offer the M41 trans, which has the electric overdrive attached to the end of the 4 speed box. So that's an option, too. I also understand that a T5 trans will fit with a little trans housing "massage", or the smaller Euro T-something trans (T9?).

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/30/16 8:23 a.m.

It really sounds like Volvo power is going to be the way to keep from modifying the trans tunnel. I guess, in theory, I could bolt a modern motor to the M40 transmission, but I'm not sure how much work that would be for the benefit of just keeping the trans tunnel intact.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/30/16 8:52 a.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Aren't there some fuel injected Volvo engines that are derivatives of what's in there now?

volvoclearinghouse
8/30/16 8:52 a.m.

While I'm not local to you, I do have a buddy who's into Amazons who lives in Austin. I realize that's also not terribly close to you, but if you're ever in the Austin area, I'm sure he'd love to take you for a drive in his car. Just a word of caution though- he's originally from Greece, and drives like it- i.e. "enthusiastically". He's also a PhD engineering student (one of those perpetual-student types, I think he's in his 40's now) and definitely opinionated on matters mechanical; he's very much a proponent of keeping things stock. But, he occasionally runs across the odd b18/ b20, so he may be able to help you out in your quest for a new engine.

volvoclearinghouse
8/30/16 9:00 a.m.

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5660152675.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/5717212694.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/pts/5719443557.html

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/30/16 9:24 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: While I'm not local to you, I do have a buddy who's into Amazons who lives in Austin. I realize that's also not _terribly_ close to you, but if you're ever in the Austin area, I'm sure he'd love to take you for a drive in his car. Just a word of caution though- he's originally from Greece, and drives like it- i.e. "enthusiastically". He's also a PhD engineering student (one of those perpetual-student types, I think he's in his 40's now) and definitely opinionated on matters mechanical; he's very much a proponent of keeping things stock. But, he occasionally runs across the odd b18/ b20, so he may be able to help you out in your quest for a new engine.

Sounds like a good guy to know.

Man, I know it makes no sense, but I really want to get this B18 (or another like it) running before I do something fuel injected and boosted. I have no experience with carburetors, and I'd like to at least build a carb'd motor once in my life.

volvoclearinghouse
8/30/16 9:57 a.m.

One thing I just remembered...probably because I've been trying to forget...

Tuna55 and tester will remember this too...

One LeMons race, we ran the B20 in our Amazon out of oil. The engine seized. As it turned out, one of the bearings on the big end of the connecting rod had spun on the crank. When we loosened that rod cap the engine spun freely again. We cleane dup the bearing and put it back, and the engine started- briefly - before locking up again, thus ending our weekend.

Much drinking followed. This may be why I sometimes black out about these events.

Anyway, since you don't know anything about the past of this engine, its possible the seized-ness of it has nothing to do with the ups-and-downs and everything to do with the spinny spinnies. I think it's time to pull the lump and tear it apart to at least figure out what's going on with it.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
8/30/16 9:59 a.m.

If a T5 fits with a little massage then I'd go looking for a good core with the gear ratios you want and keep this thing Volvo powered assuming there's bell housing adapters readily available. T9 is supposed to be decent but not really strong, came here in the Merkur XR4Ti. T5 is available with a lot more different ratio packages and there's a ton of them around. And lots of nice things like aftermarket shifters that you can swap levers on in case your application needs a little help.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/30/16 11:09 a.m.

Is there anyone in Austin that could pick up an engine for me? Found a SCREAMING deal on a B230F, but has to be picked up in the next 24 hours.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/30/16 11:14 a.m.

isn't mazduece over there?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/30/16 11:22 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: isn't mazduece over there?

He's down in Houston by where I used to live. Too long of a drive to be convenient.

volvoclearinghouse
8/30/16 11:37 a.m.

I'll ask my buddy. If he says he can, PM me the deets.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/30/16 11:46 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: I'll ask my buddy. If he says he can, PM me the deets.

Thanks. PM sent.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/31/16 10:44 p.m.

So yesterday wound up being interesting... I wasn't able to find someone that could pick it up an engine on practically no notice, so I left work about 2 and drove 3 hours down to Austin.

'91 B230F pulled out of a 740, and was running fine when it was pulled. I sent the seller an email asking if it was still available, and he called me within 15 minutes. Apparently his landlord had issued an ultimatum, and if I could get there before he took it to the junkyard in about 24 hours, I could have it for what they'd give him for it. We agreed that $50 was sufficient motivation for me to try and get down there.

Somehow, we managed to get it in the back of the 4Runner without removing the transmission. (I asked, I HAD to take the transmission as part of the price. Wouldn't let me just leave it there.)

Pretty snug fit. Total price of $90.91. $50 for the engine and trans, and 366 miles at 17 mpg and $1.90/gal. This car may actually stay under $2017 without too much hassle... Hm.

It's actually still in there, I haven't had time to go get a hoist to keep at the house and get it out... Had to spend today finding a replacement Rav4 for Mrs. Unevolved, since someone plowed into the back of her old one last weekend. Insurance company decided it was a loss, so we were down a car. Not anymore, though. It sure is easy buying boring cars...

So yeah, I guess the direction for the Amazon is turbo B230. I think I'd like to keep the factory orientation of the engine, but that's going to take some trick bellhousing searching. Seems like it's pretty much all bolt-in parts, though.

volvoclearinghouse
9/1/16 8:18 a.m.

You may be able to find an M45, 46, or 47 trans that'll bolt right up to the B230. I don't know much about anything volvo after the early 70s, but those transmissions aren't terribly sought after, so they tend to be cheap. Just make sure the crank on the engine is set up for the manual- do these use a crank-mounted bearing support?

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
9/1/16 9:19 a.m.

I don't know yet. I'll still have some research to do once I get everything apart.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
9/2/16 7:47 a.m.

The more research I do about the redblock swap, the more I like it.

So, question. Packaging reasons aside, which would be the optimal orientation for the engine? Straight up, or laid over like the OEM setup? I see people running it both ways in these cars. Straight up would give more room for turbo stuff on that side, but I don't know if laid over would be "healthier" for the lubrication system on the engine.

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
9/2/16 8:55 a.m.

Uh hmmm.....http://www.aceraceparts.com/products/weld-els-schedule-10?variant=6639427588

Just lay it over, and put the turbo out the front. Then you can fit it where you want to.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
9/2/16 8:57 a.m.

I'd have to think they laid it over for a good reason. So I'd lay it over.

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1wWu7EsDkj7mFynTTKeYKOKUauDzmD7nz1D7sYoHnKh6tTBvLBwNBoSfmDGJ4gxM