Sarah Young
Sarah Young Editorial/Art Assistant
1/16/18 11:09 a.m.

Misfit Toys Racing had come to a consensus by the time they reached Florida: “Driving the Wartburg is like being waterboarded. It doesn’t kill you, but it feels like it should.”

Maybe that’s what a 1959 Wartburg print ad meant when it promised the car would “provide an entirely new motoring sensation.” The rest of the ad reads like something written by a watch-dangling hypnotist: “Your joy will begin when you sit at the wheel of the Wartburg. You will be proud, and rightly so, to own a car of such fine quality and superb mechanical ability.”

Maybe attempts at mind control were necessary to advertise a car with Soviet ties to Americans at that time. The postwar political climate in der Vaterland would eventually lead to the building of the Berlin Wall, dividing the democratic West Germany from the communist East Germany. Many Americans needed serious convincing to throw money anywhere near the hammer and sickle.

The ad wasn’t exaggerating, though—the cars really were well built, as Wartburg producer Automobilwerk Eisenach had experience building BMWs. In fact, their factory belonged to BMW before they packed up and fled west. The Soviets took ownership of the works, and BMW had to sit back and watch as their brand name, designs and production techniques were used to pump out cars in the East. By the time BMW had reclaimed their rights, the Eisenach factory was set to produce something as glorious as the Wartburg.

Luckily, one dude in Jersey was destined to teach the car the meaning of playing well with others.

Read the rest of the story

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/16/18 12:38 p.m.

Wonder where it is now...

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/16/18 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

Hmmm.....one never knows.... ;)

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
1/16/18 1:14 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Jesus, don't tell me you have it again.....

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/16/18 1:16 p.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

Nope, not me, I've converted to a life of normalcy....

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/16/18 1:33 p.m.
JThw8 said:

In reply to Mndsm :

My arse

Indy-Barely Functional-Guy
Indy-Barely Functional-Guy SuperDork
1/16/18 6:09 p.m.
Patrick said:

Wonder where it is now...

I would LS swap your mom if it were legal

After seeing your magic with Darth Nader, I'm looking forward to the build thread. wink

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon New Reader
1/16/18 6:37 p.m.

The Wartburg engine was later used in a sports car the Melkus rs1000 it used 3 carbs instead of one and had higher compression ratio.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Reader
1/17/18 8:58 a.m.

cool article yes

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
1/17/18 4:28 p.m.

The headline is a bit misleading ... we actually accomplished all three events!

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/18/18 8:27 a.m.
littleturquoiseb said:

The headline is a bit misleading ... we actually accomplished all three events!

Indeed we did, first ever "trifecta of crap" winners

But...trivia time.....who was the 2nd? And yes kids there was a 2nd, because we weren't the only nutters.  The 2nd place finishers "lost" only because they had their run at Lemons scheduled for after the GRM Challenge.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/18/18 8:28 a.m.
Patrick said:
JThw8 said:

In reply to Mndsm :

My arse

No really, I drive a hybrid now.... ;)

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
1/19/18 11:24 a.m.

Can a vw trike mashup really be called a hybrid?  

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
1/19/18 12:12 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

lol....ok, well I do still have that little oddball running around.   Hopefully starting paint on that soon.

Our Preferred Partners
htJDhGPtesrhqcsR74I3vnduPhEiBYXf495vmuB7U3z4xOo7Kt9zhHLTye6alt5j