1 2 3
eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/18/14 11:14 a.m.

If all goes to plan, in about a year, I'm buying my last brand-new "fun" car. Looking at my list of possiblities, I noticed a bit of a trend towards cars that may not be too popular with new car buyers, but GRM board natives may be searching for years from now when depreciation takes its toll.

So, what models, or specific option packages, are you seeing now that are not common, but will be objects of the hunt years from now? Can be because the model doesn't sell well, or the option combo is rare, or it'll just be hard to find a nice, unmolested example.

Here's the ones on my list:

-Ford Fiesta ST and Focus ST, with the Recaro package, but without the moonroof. I have only seen non-moonroof cars in a few dealer listings, and never with the Recaros. In fact, I've never seen a non-moonroof equipped Fiesta ST or Focus ST in the wild.

-Buick Verano 2.0 Turbo, with 6 speed manual - There's only one listed on cars dot com within 500 miles of me. Sure, nobody will be hunting for one to autocross, but I bet they'll make a good DD.

-Subaru BR-Z / Scion FR-S. Its not that they'll be rare, I'm just thinking they'll go much like WRXs, and be hard to find in nice, unmodified condition.

So, what else is out there, that few of us will buy new, but we'll spend tons of time hunting for in ten years?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
2/18/14 11:19 a.m.

Mustang Laguna Secas or any Mustang with a track pack.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/18/14 11:23 a.m.

For a company the size of Toyota, I predict that the FR-S is considered a slow seller and has a product run of no more than 4 years. It will be rare in the similar fashion to how the MR-S is rare (an holding its value well.)

HappyAndy
HappyAndy SuperDork
2/18/14 11:32 a.m.
conesare2seconds wrote: Mustang Laguna Secas or any Mustang with a track pack.

I was going to say V6 'stang with manual and track pack.

Also any manual gearbox RWD car.

Lancer007
Lancer007 Reader
2/18/14 11:34 a.m.

I have no legitimate basis for this opinion but more of a gut feeling:

Clean, unmolested S2000s are gonna be a hot commodity.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/18/14 11:36 a.m.

Sonic turbo with manual trans (and no i'm not joking)

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
2/18/14 11:42 a.m.

Audi RS4 Lexus IS-F Fiesta ecoboost 1.0 Sonic RS Manual

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/18/14 11:42 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: Sonic turbo with manual trans (and no i'm not joking)

I don't doubt it. A couple of years ago when I bought my Honda Fit, I test drove what may have been the only Sonic hatch turbo in the tri-state area, despite the lots being flooded with Sonics in general. At the time, the turbo could only be had with a manual.

Edit: Oh yeah, it was an LT trim, and I think the only option it had was the turbo drivetrain. Didn't even have the option package that included cruise control.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate New Reader
2/18/14 11:43 a.m.

Audi RS4

Lexus IS-F

Fiesta ecoboost 1.0

Sonic RS Manual

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 HalfDork
2/18/14 11:47 a.m.

There's exactly 1 6 speed 2.0L ATS within 500 miles of me on Cars.com, so maybe a manual ATS?

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/18/14 11:51 a.m.
Lancer007 wrote: I have no legitimate basis for this opinion but more of a gut feeling: Clean, unmolested S2000s are gonna be a hot commodity.

Judging by the number I've seen with rebuilt titles, I think they are already there.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson PowerDork
2/18/14 11:54 a.m.

Pontiac Solstice coupe, GTX with manual trans. They only made 1,266 coups total, how many were manual GTX models I don't know. I know that when they said they were closing Pontiac I called every dealer in SE Mi and no one had one for sale.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
2/18/14 11:55 a.m.

Anything with one of these:

chrispy
chrispy Reader
2/18/14 11:57 a.m.

^^ Beat me to it. Cars with manual transmissions. The last time we were shopping for a car they were few and far between and, as a result, none of our current cars have a clutch.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/18/14 11:57 a.m.

BMW 1-Series M

Rare when new......will be ultra rare and expensive as the years go on. The most driver focused BMW since the E30 M3, and better in nearly every way.

Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever depreciate much.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Dork
2/18/14 11:58 a.m.
bigdaddylee82 wrote: There's exactly 1 6 speed 2.0L ATS within 500 miles of me on Cars.com, so maybe a manual ATS?

Was going to disagree with you, since there are 63 of them within 500 miles of me, but then I opened it up to any ATS. The number jumped to 3731. So, 1.7% of the ones within 500 miles of me are manual transmission. If they prove to be a good "baby" CTS-V, I bet we'll be looking for them in the future, as daily drivers.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/18/14 11:59 a.m.

Some of the special mustangs and camaros.

ohhh, also the G8 GT and GXp.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
2/18/14 12:28 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: BMW 1-Series M Rare when new......will be ultra rare and expensive as the years go on. The most driver focused BMW since the E30 M3, and better in nearly every way. Unfortunately, I don't think they will ever depreciate much.

Man I tried hard to get one of these when they were new. They pop up every now and then above MSRP.

Also clean S2000's are almost impossible to find now so in ten years I expect them to be like the supra unless Honda makes a second generation.

Third Gen Vipers are on the way back up, especially the coupes.

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
2/18/14 12:39 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Some of the special mustangs and camaros. ohhh, also the G8 GT and GXp.

+1 to G8 GXP. I keep nagging my friend that he could have bought one when he got a G8 GT and modded it to be basically a GXP... with an auto.

Other than that, a V50 volvo t5 AWD in stick...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
2/18/14 12:41 p.m.

CTSV wagon, with the suede especially. And a manual.

theenico
theenico Reader
2/18/14 12:43 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: Sonic turbo with manual trans (and no i'm not joking)

I'll second that. I have a 2012 LT with the 1.4T and manual. It's the lowest trim level you could get with that powertrain combo. Definitely a fun car.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
2/18/14 12:47 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
conesare2seconds wrote: Mustang Laguna Secas or any Mustang with a track pack.
I was going to say V6 'stang with manual and track pack.

My thoughts exactly.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
2/18/14 12:55 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Pontiac Solstice coupe, GTX with manual trans. They only made 1,266 coups total, how many were manual GTX models I don't know. I know that when they said they were closing Pontiac I called every dealer in SE Mi and no one had one for sale.

It's GXP. Out of the 1266 coupes 850 were GXPs and 364 (of the 1266 total) had manuals, but I'm not sure how many of the 850 GXPS were manuals, although I'm sure the info is out there. These cars have been well documented. Ours is a black on black GXP auto coupe. We actually had no choice on options, but it was such a fight to get one I was willing to take what I could get. The auto in these cars is actually really good, so I don't mind it that much, but still would have preferred a manual.

as for what I hope to be looking for in 10 years...so far:

c6 ZR1

GT500

Laguna Seca Mustang

Mercedes SLS AMG (although they'll probably be horrendously expensive still)

CTS-V Wagon

Porsche Cayman R

Aston Martin V12 Vantage S

Jag F-type coupe

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
2/18/14 1:03 p.m.

similar to the Focus/Fiesta in Recaro + NO moonroof variant, I'd put the '13 Mustang 5.0 into that as well. Finding a BASE model 5.0 GT but with Recaro package, and Brembo Track package only (3.73/Torsen/etc.) but without the glass roof, premium crap, moonroof etc. is almost equally hard to find.

I'm not sure the CTS-V wagon with manual will ever depreciate. Very limited numbers. Sedans on the otherhand are dropping.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
2/18/14 1:18 p.m.
fidelity101 wrote: Other than that, a V50 volvo t5 AWD in stick...

My nephew in Columbus, Oh just bought one of these. I think it is a 2010. Needed a clutch right after he bought it but should be all good now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d51fSvTQ89Uyp3EerVmhT310HB9fZlLYdQ2XEkvzDasvHW9PiXVMeRPS6rQ0lcXJ