Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/17 2:51 p.m.

Anyone ever use one.

I'm starting to think about wiring on SanFord. Most of the wiring is noticeably 60 years old. My original plan was to just rewire what is there and replace the wire as necessary.

Then I found these.

This particular setup is from Speedway Motors and seems like a easy button.

Any thoughts. Any success stories or failures.

Thanks.

MulletTruck
MulletTruck Reader
4/11/17 2:56 p.m.

I had questions about the Wiring kits recently also. After interviewing some of the suppliers at the Street Machine Nats I figured it would be easier to get a kit like you mentioned and make my life easier.

I will be going with the AAW kit but have heard good things about the Speedway and Jegs kits.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/17 2:58 p.m.

In reply to MulletTruck:

Yeah, I just found your thread and was reading the AAW website.

rslifkin
rslifkin Dork
4/11/17 3:00 p.m.

If you can find a kit that covers your needs and will give you the right lengths, I'd do it. Otherwise, if you don't have too much stuff to wire, it shouldn't be all that hard to build a custom harness.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/11/17 3:14 p.m.

If you're willing to spend fat stacks of cash, consider a power control module. It's like a software-defined fuse box.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
4/11/17 3:19 p.m.

Ive never wired a bus.

I have rewired box trucks. The taillight and fuel pump wires are teally the only thing that needs lengthening.

I spent years building custom wiring harnesses for hot rods customs and race cars. I can give you a full education on each and every major manufacturer and what's good and what's bad about them if you want me to. It's awfully hard to type out. The long and the short of it is is American autowire is top-shelf stuff and of them more expensive easier in the long run. If you call them and explain your needs they should be able to supply longer rear lighting wiring already in the kit to you.

If you want a full conversation about it feel free to give me a call.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
4/11/17 3:32 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: If you're willing to spend fat stacks of cash, consider a power control module. It's like a software-defined fuse box.

It's the tits. All the outputs are PWM or switched so I can not purchase separated heated gear controllers, LED dimmer controllers, all the wiring and switches that entails... and I can program them to run at 20% daytime, dim to 10% automatically at sunset, etc. The heated gear can come on at some temp and ramp up by speed and/or temperature to 100%. All the circuit fuse values can be programmatically set, they can be configured to remain on after the ignition for various times... remember their last state, etc. It also monitors battery voltage and will alarm if it gets low, shut down stuff if it goes lower so you can run your camp lighting off the bike and not worry that it won't start in the AM.

And, it can be programmed or controlled manually via bluetooth from a phone app. $300 stings until I realize a heated gear controller is $100 and an LED dimmer is $75, a voltage gauge is $30, and none of those have built in automation.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/11/17 3:43 p.m.

Seems to me it'd be worth it just for the upgrade to the more reliable and readily available blade type fuses.

pirate
pirate Reader
4/11/17 3:54 p.m.

I have used a Ron Francis wiring harness kit. They have them for different amounts of circuits you may want and also for individual cars. They come with more then enough wire, connectors and really good instructions which tell you step by step what to wire first so nothing is forgotten. They also have a great staff ready to answer questions about your particular wiring harness and trouble shoot any problems as they all have serial numbers. The Ron Francis harness is different from most because you run the wire from what is being wired and then connect it to the panel rather then the other way around which I found makes for a neater installation. Probably a bit higher priced but I found it was worth it because this was the first car I wired from scratch.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UltraDork
4/11/17 5:19 p.m.

Honestly it's worth the $ just to get wire with text printed on it for the function. It's so cool to grab any wire, anywhere in the car, and be able to read exactly what it is for.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/11/17 5:46 p.m.

Second Ron Francis, idiot resistant and if memory serves, tad cheaper than others.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
4/11/17 6:24 p.m.

All I can suggest is to get the one that matches your vehicle's circuits the best you can. They work great, as far as I'm concerned.

On the other end- what kind of connectors do you need? I managed to get an engineering sample of blade connectors sent to me for free from one of the makers. I was stunned by that- but I asked them where I can get them, and they suggested asking for a sample. Which was more than enough to wire my GTV.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/11/17 6:36 p.m.

i have an EZ Wire universal 20 circuit harness in the belair because at the time i figured it would be good if i wanted to add power windows. now i laugh at that and would use a 12 circuit one. i can't speak highly enough of their wire quality and really liked how i was able to get it with a GM column plug to make wiring my turn signals simple. the wires are labeled every foot or so which circuit it is. i would buy another one of their harnesses in a heartbeat

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
4/11/17 7:16 p.m.

I bought a universal harmess from a place called hotrodwires (or simething close to that) about 15 years ago when I rewired my Mini. It all still works. I bought a few more circuits than I needsd which worked out great when I installed a sound system and power seats a couple years ago.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/11/17 8:04 p.m.

I have been considering this option for the RX5.0, watching with interest.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
90TWfadWgBKxibbylk5IVkk71B04LqLOpqau7BaLGTwdllEkdteptuoHI1BgV8kV