ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/3/13 10:25 a.m.

1967 Ford GT40 MkIII

Came across this 1967 Ford GT40 MkIII at the show and shine last weekend. It is a streetable version of the GT race car. It is a little different from the race car with eight inches longer, has dual round headlights, middle gearshift shifter, redesigned cooling, softer shocks and Borrani wire wheels. This is one of seven made - I didn't realize it was so rare at the time.

1967 Ford GT40 engine

306 or 335hp 289cid V-8and a ZF five speed transaxle.

1967 Ford GT40 rear

Note it is right hand drive although some were left hand drive.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
5/3/13 10:33 a.m.

meticulous too....... nice find...

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
5/3/13 11:02 a.m.

Ford needs to make the GT again.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
5/3/13 11:13 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: Ford needs to make the GT again.

QFT

pilotbraden
pilotbraden SuperDork
5/3/13 11:50 a.m.

The GT 40 has always been one of my favorites. Perhaps a relica is in my future?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/3/13 1:40 p.m.

In reply to pilotbraden:

I've looked into it a little, if you want the big block, and you know you do, nobody produces a trans strong enough, reproducing the T-44 transaxle will cost about as much as the rest of the project.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/13 1:43 p.m.

What's the value of that, $10 million? $15?

Flight Service
Flight Service UltimaDork
5/3/13 1:44 p.m.

pwrettttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/13 1:45 p.m.

Beautiful, though this is one of those era-crossing cars that in one particular way looks super-weird to me : That shape on wire wheels?

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
5/3/13 2:00 p.m.

The Peterson museum has one. I was there last month and they had it in storage...speaking of that.....they have a new tour called the "Vault Tour" where you can see a couple of hundred cars and bikes they have stored in their basement. It is awesome! I liked it much better than the regular tour.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/3/13 2:11 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: What's the value of that, $10 million? $15?

I honestly have no idea. They are rare but do look a little different than a regular GT40

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
5/3/13 2:13 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: In reply to pilotbraden: I've looked into it, if you want the big block, and you know you do, nobody produces a trans strong enough, reproducing the T-44 transaxle will cost about as much as the rest of the project.

Why must it be a big block? Why must it be a SBF for that matter...

Why not an "old" formula one 3 liter V10?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/3/13 2:23 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

So you can upshift to 3rd at 100mph?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/3/13 2:52 p.m.
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've looked into it a little, if you want the big block, and you know you do, nobody produces a trans strong enough,

Latest-model WRX gearbox with a locking collar, cable shifter and rear-output-shaft-ectomy, as used in the FFR 818.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/3/13 4:54 p.m.

My, but that is nice. Anybody else notice the 'trunk' visible at the rear of the engine compartment? Wouldn't want to put anything that won't withstand heat in there.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UberDork
5/3/13 5:09 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Kenny_McCormic wrote: I've looked into it a little, if you want the big block, and you know you do, nobody produces a trans strong enough,
Latest-model WRX gearbox with a locking collar, cable shifter and rear-output-shaft-ectomy, as used in the FFR 818.

A Scooby box will seriously hold up against 500 lb-ft? I find that difficult to believe. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have difficulty believing it.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
5/3/13 5:29 p.m.

I thought the Porsche G50's, while not cheap, were strong enough.

RexSeven
RexSeven UltraDork
5/3/13 5:32 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote:
A Scooby box will seriously hold up against 500 lb-ft? I find that difficult to believe. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I have difficulty believing it.

Not the five-speed. The STi six-speed is pretty stout from what I've heard, though I don't have a number.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Dork
5/5/13 2:09 p.m.

I'm seriously doubting the ability of any Subaru box to handle a 60s NASCAR engine and massive tires. Perhaps puttering around, but where's the fun in that? Some desert racing trophy truck box MIGHT work, but IDK about the fitment.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R8TShGD2iqH4UIceAfwG9UlbAknrTgdNBLyxEKFf5z5cK4SCsQIaYT9iycUcSuTC