1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/19 8:24 a.m.

I wasn't quick enough to grab a photo, but I saw a Neon Rally car on the highway over the weekend.  Full stage rally car with cage and stickers all over, looked like it was on a transit between stages, but it was cruising down the highway many many miles from the nearest rally.  Either someone loved the look and daily drives it, or someone from the STPR rally needs a new navigator. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
5/29/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Orange by any chance?

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/29/19 10:05 a.m.

It seems like i see more street parked McClarens than probably an other sports car. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/29/19 10:58 a.m.

When I bike commute I usually get passed in the last mile by a guy in a late model Viper. White and black, sounds awesome as he rumbles by. Fair number of cool cars around here, you just don't see them on the commute.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/31/19 7:19 a.m.

Spotted this 280ZX Turbo while stopping for breakfast on the way to work.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 8:04 a.m.
adam525i said:

In reply to Nick Comstock :

That’s definitely his car

Adam

With South Carolina plates? In California? 

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
5/31/19 12:05 p.m.
irish44j said:

Image may contain: car, tree, sky and outdoor 

A friend of mine used to commute from DC into MD in one of those, silver though.  I remember one time walking out to my car and he was leaving, driving towards me.  I was walking on the pass side and stopped to say hello and he stopped, gestured like "wait a sec..." and eventually got the pass window down.  He had been chasing down an electrical issue (on an Italian car??) and when I looked in, I saw that he had nearly the entire dash partially disassembled, to where he had like 8 switches just hanging by their wiring. The delay in getting the window down was him thumbing through the switches to find the appropriate one. 

MulletTruck
MulletTruck HalfDork
5/31/19 3:52 p.m.
Toyman01 said:
adam525i said:

In reply to Nick Comstock :

That’s definitely his car

Adam

With South Carolina plates? In California? 

100% his car. A lot of people register their cars out of state to avoid the high cost of registration, Not to have to smog the car, cheaper insurance rates just to name a couple.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/19 4:01 p.m.

Just completed a long road trip around the southwest, no pics but a couple of fun cars popped up along the way:

An Orange Mini with a plate that said “Cheddar”  I didn’t ask if the owner was some common bitch or the real Cheddar ;)

A couple of Lamborghinis and Ferrari’s (Vegas/Beverly hills).  Tons of Corvettes (because Scottsdale).

Twisted46
Twisted46 New Reader
6/1/19 7:01 a.m.

I live 15 miles south of the Honda plants in Ohio and 15 miles North of a very wealthy suburb of Columbus so there is an endless amount of eye candy on tap. Things I actually see on my commute that actually stick out are a mint MK4 Supra always going the speed limit, a 90s NSX, and a SCCA prep Integra Type R. 

In my neighborhood we have a polestar Volvo, a golf R32, and TWO 260Zs with V8s, one of which is mine. 

I am only listing these because everything else is more common and doesn't require time or investigation, just money.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/1/19 7:09 a.m.

Because Connecticut...

imgon
imgon HalfDork
6/1/19 10:09 a.m.

Not a good pic but I saw this Avanti yesterday morning going the opposite direction as me and again this morning right behind me. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/1/19 3:57 p.m.

Oh! Round headlamp trims, it is a '63 Studebaker, very nice indeed.

b13990
b13990 Reader
6/2/19 9:42 a.m.
irish44j said:Though, it has VA antique plates (not legal for everyday daily-driving),

Virginia seems like such an awful place to own a car, with the hideous inspection stickers, weird reckless driving law, bizarre license plate rules, etc.

I'm sure that part of the world has its redeeming factors, but everything I've heard about it just elevates my blood pressure.

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/2/19 10:03 a.m.

I’ve had historic plates in two states and they both had the same rules, you pay less for them BECAUSE you are told not to use the car regularly. Ohio says to and from car shows and gatherings.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
6/2/19 10:12 a.m.
b13990 said:

Virginia seems like such an awful place to own a car, with the hideous inspection stickers, weird reckless driving law, bizarre license plate rules, etc.

I'm sure that part of the world has its redeeming factors, but everything I've heard about it just elevates my blood pressure.

Its not bad, with the exception of the reckless driving thing.  Dont do more than 19mph over the speed limit, or more than 79mph (80 is reckless regardless of speed limit), and it will never bite you.  I had a lot more issues with speeding in ohio than virginia.  A cop wrote me for 61 in a 55 once, in a stock miata, and that wasnt giving me a break, I was doing 61.  

The rest are easy.  I have antique plates on half my fleet, and you basically pay $40 one time, and then get left alone forever.  No renewals, no inspections, no anything.  The price for that is you have to have a "normal" car that IS inspected and reg renewed every year, and you shouldnt drive the antique plated car exclusively.   I have never seen a ticket written for this unless the person was abusing it.  IE '88 accord on its last legs, but antique plated, drives past the same cop 5 days that week, and once pulled over can't prove they have a daily driver.  If you want to drive something old everyday, no rule against it, just get a regular plate for it and pay your $40/year.

b13990
b13990 Reader
6/2/19 4:38 p.m.
Flynlow said:

The rest are easy.  I have antique plates on half my fleet, and you basically pay $40 one time, and then get left alone forever.  No renewals, no inspections, no anything.  The price for that is you have to have a "normal" car that IS inspected and reg renewed every year, and you shouldnt drive the antique plated car exclusively.   I have never seen a ticket written for this unless the person was abusing it.  IE '88 accord on its last legs, but antique plated, drives past the same cop 5 days that week, and once pulled over can't prove they have a daily driver.  If you want to drive something old everyday, no rule against it, just get a regular plate for it and pay your $40/year.

I read up on it, and it does seem like it's mostly on the honor system. The only real problem I saw is that you're not supposed to take trips over a certain distance from your home... 250 miles, I think? That would be a deal-killer for most of the cars I've owned, and I could be wrong but I don't think other states have that rule.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/2/19 5:50 p.m.

Not really seen on a commute, but I saw an xr4ti today, first one in years.  This one had an efi 302 swap.

I suggested to the owner that turbo people must hate him. He smiled.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
6/3/19 5:58 a.m.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
6/3/19 6:04 a.m.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/3/19 7:32 a.m.
irish44j said:
nderwater said:
irish44j said:

Surprised we don't already have a thread like this. So, post up unusual cars you see during commuting hours, "doing a commute" (not driving to cars and coffee on a sunday morning lol).

FYI, we kinda do:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/the-unicorn-sighting-thread/96587/page65/

true, but a bit broader-reaching. Here in NoVa/DC, i could post something in that thread every Sunday....so many well-to-do people here who bust out their rare/expensive/unusual stuff to cruise to cars and coffee or whatever or cruising the parkway or backroads. Those hardly phase me on weekends any more. But seeing something like a GTV6 in beltway traffic seems truly unusual, especially the way people drive around here (like shiny happy people). I've thought many times about driving my Porsche to work, but always say "neh, I don't want ti wrecked". 

Yeah... on my way to NH yesterday driving through NY and CT, I spotted a Ferrari 458 and a Testarossa. About 10 min apart, so probably not together.

I tend to limit driving my R53 to work only on days when I'm going to a club activity afterwards for similar reasons. If someone plows into the minivan I can easily find another one.  And insurance would more likely cover the replacement cost.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 HalfDork
6/3/19 2:36 p.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I have seen that Studebaker Champ many times parked next to an antique shop in the center of Bedminster on rt113. It is rough, I am a little surprised it runssurprise

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/3/19 4:34 p.m.

Spotted in the Washington DC rush-hour this afternoon..

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/3/19 7:51 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

When I win the lottery a 67 roadster is on my list for new daily drivers.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/3/19 10:23 p.m.

Same guy, Friday vs today:

1 2 3 4 5 ... 16

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V3llWoeTsy7qejgsVmL6EJUl1ufmfJTt8N8cMOikUkm24ggEuIuVSTCC1lnxyq34