petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/3/17 11:44 a.m.

I doubt any of this will come to fruition, but just in case...

I had a '99 Vitara 2-door/soft top I'd paid $950 for several years ago. My step-daughter was driving it on Halloween & got hit by an uninsured drunk driver(she was fine - autox skilz ftw!). We had uninsured/underinsured coverage on it, but not full-coverage. After a month of no action from our insurer(they said they were still waiting for a copy of the police report, which seemed odd since we'd received our copy to sign & return a week after the accident) I sold it for $800 as-is.

I got a call from the state's attorney today, asking if I wanted to request any retribution. I'd honestly not considered it, and given that the driver couldn't pay for his insurance, now adding fines and legal fees to that, I doubt I'd ever see a dime anyway. However, he totaled his '99 Yukon in the accident, so I asked the attorney if I could request his wrecked vehicle in lieu of the ~$1200 difference between what I sold the Vitara for vs. what KBB said it was worth pre-accident.

So, presuming somehow this all works out, would the Yukon be free, $150(difference between purchase/sale price of the Vitara) or $1200???

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/3/17 11:48 a.m.

If you were putting the Yukon drivetrain into the Vitara then I think you could make a very weird case for it. Purely as a source of an engine, I think you'd have to attach a FMV to the wrecked hulk.

petegossett
2/3/17 1:27 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

That initially crossed my mind, but I don't think so. I certainly "paid" for it through the loss of the Vitara - the question is how much?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/3/17 1:51 p.m.

I think the consensus around here is that any deal available to the public is fair game. Craigslist, eBay, sign on the side of the road, etc. Any deal available only to you needs a FMV.

petegossett
2/3/17 1:57 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau:

Well, anyone could find themselves in the path of a drunken GM SUV driver...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/3/17 2:03 p.m.

In reply to petegossett:

Fine, then the value is $150 but you have to get drunk and crash another GM SUV into it during the concours.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/3/17 2:16 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

parking lot build

petegossett
2/3/17 3:45 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to petegossett: Fine, then the value is $150 but you have to get drunk and crash another GM SUV into it during the concours.

This is beginning to sound even more interesting...

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
2/3/17 3:54 p.m.

The way I see it is FMV of LS1 motor of about $500. Bur you can sell your rebuilt 350 motor for at least $600 or 700 and apply that to recoup minus parts. So it probably would be a wash. I Also you still have some other recoup on the vette to get to $1000 limit on your $1000 chassis

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j9hp4dHK9F7BrETCCtw62tm6XPLbqgIP1yNfnLbJTgBxaflZ5Mncrl8P8DaYUTfb