Jerry UltraDork
April 20, 2016 10:22 a.m.

Maybe I've missed it, but have there been any updates on how the MR2 they bought last year has held up? (Or even still have it?)

I've been curious about them myself, and just saw on the Obscure Cars for Sale Facebook group someone has a red MR2 with a V6 swap for $9k obo. Reignited my interest...

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
April 20, 2016 10:40 a.m.

It's still here. JG can chime in and provide more details, but it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things. It's amazing at how well that shape has aged, too.

April 20, 2016 11:20 a.m.

"Doing Mr2 type things" is awesome.

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
April 20, 2016 11:39 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote: "Doing Mr2 type things" is awesome.

Thanks. My mom says that I should become a writer.

April 20, 2016 11:44 a.m.

Lol

Jerry UltraDork
April 20, 2016 2:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things.

Resisting the obvious snap-oversteer joke. (From someone that tried autocrossing his '88 MR2 SC late last year and discovered what that means first-hand.)

2002maniac Dork
April 20, 2016 4:14 p.m.
Jerry wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: it's basically just chugging along and doing MR2-type things.

Resisting the obvious snap-oversteer joke. (From someone that tried autocrossing his '88 MR2 SC late last year and discovered what that means first-hand.)

Beat me to it! I've seem more MR2s back into the armco than any other car.

SilverFleet UberDork
April 20, 2016 4:18 p.m.
Jerry wrote: Maybe I've missed it, but have there been any updates on how the MR2 they bought last year has held up? (Or even still have it?) I've been curious about them myself, and just saw on the Obscure Cars for Sale Facebook group someone has a red MR2 with a V6 swap for $9k obo. Reignited my interest...

Hahaha, I saw that too! And I not only thought of the GRM MR2, but I also thought of the one our Challenge team snagged from Woody a while back and the Camry V6/5-speed that is waiting to get plopped into it. I completely forgot we even had that car.

JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
April 20, 2016 7:00 p.m.

I put gas in it and drive it. When it gets dirty, I wash it. It's pretty much an awesome daily driver. Honestly I'd drive it EVERY day, but I need my van some days to carry stuff around.

So far all it's asked for besides fuel is a starter, which I had a local shop do because my lift was tied up. I think I was in it for parts and labor well under $300.

I replaced the shift bushings with a set of the bronze ones from TwosRUs, although mine weren't bad. But i really like the TwosRus guys and has used those before in another car and wanted to support the MR2 community somehow.

The only real issues currently are that the cruise doesn't work and the windshield could probably stand to be replaced as it's getting some wiper wear after a quarter century. It's really an awesome car and a great swap. I would recommend one unreservedly.

Jerry UltraDork
April 21, 2016 8:04 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

I've bought from TwosRUs a few times myself, always a good experience. I really wish I could afford a Prime Performance MR2.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

SCCA Announces 2017 Track Night in America Schedule

1 hour ago in News

Spend an evening at the track with SCCA this year.

A Silent Auction for Gearheads

21 hours ago in News

Lemons of Love, one of our favorite charities, is organizing an online silent auction tonight.

The Snell Game

2 days ago in Articles

Answering 8 questions about Snell helmets.

Get Our Magazine in Print and Digital for just $16.99

3 days ago in News

Now is a great time to renew or start subscribing to our magazine.

Honing In On Honing Time

4 days ago in Project Cars

We get our LS1-swapped BMW M3's block ready for honing.

Vintage Views: Jaguar XJS

5 days ago in Articles

Jaguar's E-Type was a tough act to follow, so it's no surprise its replacement, the XJS, is often overlooked.

Project Ramp Truck: Rebuilding the Engine

5 days ago in Project Cars

Time to dive into the engine rebuild in more depth.

Join Our Porsche Experience Tour

5 days ago in News

It's a back-roads adventure to the Classic Motorsports Mitty

Reader's Ride of the Week: Crash Damage to Track Day in One Month

6 days ago in News

One month and relatively low bucks for a great track car.

Adrenaline in a Shot Glass

1 week ago in Articles

Global Rallycross: Single-serving thrills and spills for a TV audience.

Recap: 24 Hours of LeMons 'Shine Country Classic

1 week ago in Project Cars

We spent two days racing at Barber Motorsports Park in our crapcan turbo Miata.

2017 Smart ForTwo Cabrio

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

We don't often venture into the realm of micro cars, but out test car this week was a 2017 Smart ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
R2jmvO3j0YLVscAjFpCf4OfgN88ktpLf