Brust
Brust Reader
8/16/09 4:18 p.m.

We've moved back to the mainland from Hawaii, and I'm ready to do some much needed updates/repairs to the wrx. I'd like to keep the budget sane, so here's what I'm thinking:

-struts (koni yellow inserts) -sway bars f/r -end links f/r

roof racks- suggestions?

I'm on the (down low) hunt for cheap up/dp/catbacks/vf43/48/sti pinks but that's less important than keeping the wife in a non-new car buying mood. I'll have the door dings pulled and maybe a re-spray with the tint finally installed.

It's got almost 90k and is bone stock except the tires and k&n filter. Should I look at springs? We've moved to the DC area, and I'd actually like to keep the stock ride height if possible for whatever snow- type adventures we happen to encounter.

Realistically, I probably won't be autocrossing or tracking the car, but it's a possibility. Shoot, I'm now within about 4 hours of VIR. Promised my 6 yr old boy we'd camp out at the race track.

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
8/17/09 8:57 a.m.

For the money I've read really good reviews about the DSpec struts you can pick up a set for around $5XX.As for the up pipe pick up one off a STI no cats in it you can usually pick them up for about $50.I picked my DP and cat back up off of NASIOC for under $300 shipped which included a Invidia DP and mid with a STI take off exhaust.

On the sways try to avoid White line as they have had some fittment issues lately end links I would go with Kartboy.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
8/17/09 9:47 a.m.

I have a shorty downpipe for my legacy that I am going to be selling soon, not sure if it would work on your wrx though, I think the fitment is different.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/17/09 1:59 p.m.

I think Tein makes stock height springs with higher rates for the WRX.

Confirmed. Found them here: http://www.writerguy.com/primitive/susp.htm

Brust
Brust Reader
8/17/09 7:41 p.m.

Thanks- I haven't heard anything about the d-spec struts. I'll check them out. I'm wondering if the stock springs will work well with the Koni's or if I need to bump the rate a bit. I was hoping to keep it pretty sane for the wife by staying stock on them and using sway control and a better strut. I'll check NASIOC for some parts deals-

dxman92
dxman92 New Reader
8/17/09 8:40 p.m.

Have you upgraded the rear bar? I've heard that does wonders on the 'rexs..

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/17/09 10:31 p.m.
dxman92 wrote: Have you upgraded the rear bar? I've heard that does wonders on the 'rexs..

I added a rear bar (only) to mine and it made a huge difference. I got it from IPD / Subie Solutions. I upgraded to Grade 8 bolts, though, as I kept stripping the threads off the Grade 5's that it came with.

Yeah, I have a fun commute...

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
8/17/09 10:53 p.m.

Konis on the softest setting will be similar to stock (new as valved from factory). That is how Koni designs them. They also have a lifetime warranty to the original owner. I've never heard of DSpec either but I'm wary of any johnny-come-lately-cool-sounding-suspension components.

Don't bother with springs if the wife is going to be the main driver.

Sways are always a win/win though. GRM did an article on Subie suspension upgrades IIRC....

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
8/17/09 10:56 p.m.

In reply to Brust:

If you want some thing just a tad firmer and lower also wife friendly I suggest going with a set of STI springs or some"Regular Guy" springs from RCE.

http://racecompengineering.com/osc/product_info.php?products_id=34

Brust
Brust Reader
8/18/09 7:41 a.m.

I may try those regular guy springs (I see they make wagon specific sets too!) I'm thinking I'll go with the Koni struts for their name, warranty, and reliability and do a sway bar upgrade to start. I can probably do a spring change-out in a few hours, right?.

Brust
Brust Reader
8/18/09 9:45 a.m.

Sorry- just checked and mach v has tokico d-spec struts for $629 anyone know how they compare with konis? They're about $100 less, and are "bolt in" which would save a lot of work.

grinch77
grinch77 Reader
8/18/09 1:15 p.m.

I've found the DSpecs for $510.00 shipped from another vendor.Do some reading in the suspension section over on NASIOC.I haven't really read any reviews on the Koni stuff.I'm also running Swift wagon springs and I've been pretty happy with them so far.

Leftlane
Leftlane None
8/22/09 10:31 a.m.

In reply to Brust:

I installed Koni inserts into my stock strut housings on my '06 WRX TR during my D stock autox season last year. Rules mandate no spring changes, thus I ran the Koni's with the stock springs for about a year (before installing Epic springs and bumping myself to STU ).

I can tell you the Koni's work fine with stock springs. I'll also add that even on their softest setting, they're noticeably firmer than the original setup.

I'm very happy with the Koni's; I'd say the singular best improvement to the car of all my mods (including a tune which added 50 ft/lb). You just can beat the ability to dial out unwanted push with the twist of a knob.

Brust
Brust Reader
8/23/09 1:42 p.m.

Cool. That's what I was looking for. Did you do any sway bar work?

Leftlane
Leftlane New Reader
12/28/09 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Brust:

Sorry, Brust. Just now replying to your question. Bad form on my part.

Yeah, I installed the Whiteline 24mm (IIRC) adjustable FSB. It helped in the slalom but did me no favors with the car's natural tendency to push... at least in D Stock where you can't add a rear bar. It wasn't until I added a rear bar that the handling came around, although I'm willing to bet that it also had something to do with the added experience of a lot more autox's.

Maybe you'll see this and let us know what direction you went.

digdug18
digdug18 Reader
12/31/09 7:14 p.m.

how about a FMIC? or perhaps a piggy back computer?

Andrew

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
12/31/09 7:47 p.m.

Open source rune is damn near free, waaaay better than piggybacks IMO

Pseudosport
Pseudosport New Reader
12/31/09 8:02 p.m.

Subaru to laptop cable:

http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=40

Software:

http://www.romraider.com/