chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/15/20 9:50 a.m.

I picked up an '08 A3 a few months ago to replace my X-Type and I'm missing out on Bluetooth (I religiously listen to podcasts on my commute).  I have the base model with little to no options and I'm hoping to find some sort of OEM stereo upgrade to allow Bluetooth.  Issues I'm running into is understanding all of the various interfaces etc. that Audi has on these cars through the years.  I'd really rather stay away from aftermarket unless it turns out to be cost-prohibitive.  Any ideas?

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/15/20 9:54 a.m.

Currently I do have an FM receiver/Bluetooth adapter but find the sound quality lacking.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
2/16/20 9:21 a.m.

Don't think any of the Audi's of that era had bluetooth.  All of the radio's are so integrated that I'm not sure you could drop in one from a newer Audi and get everything to work without a herculean effort of time/money.

Your best bet is to either go aftermarket on the head unit or add one of those bluetooth dongle deals, or something like a Denison bluetooth box, which integrates with the OEM headunit.  I've used the Denison in a few of my previous cars and it works fairly well but isn't that cheap...

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/16/20 10:04 a.m.

Does the Audi have a 3.5mm jack? 

There are aftermarket devices to plug into that 3.5mm and adapt Bluetooth 

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 New Reader
2/16/20 10:42 a.m.

The newer RCD330 VW radio should fit for your model a3. That will get you an updated interface, bluetoon, and apple car play. Should be plug and play with maybe an antenna adapter or something small like that. I put one in my wife's jetta and was an easy way to update the car for <$200.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333515524388

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/16/20 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Thanks!

chknhwk
chknhwk Dork
2/16/20 3:53 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Does the Audi have a 3.5mm jack? 

There are aftermarket devices to plug into that 3.5mm and adapt Bluetooth