WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/18 6:36 p.m.

The only thread I see is from early last year when Woody was looking for one for the iPhone.  I have a project or three that I can justify buying one of the cheap cell phone boroscopes..

Looking on Amazon shows lots of the same Chinesium rebranded ones with 100s of probably-bot-generated ratings for around $30.

I trust you guys marginally more than Chinese bots, so what are you guys using with your pixels?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/18 6:40 p.m.

I haven't seen any for USB C yet, I'd really like that since my main phone uses it.

I have my $8 direct from China micro usb one that I use with an old phone. Works...well enough, wish it had a focus control but the led light is nice. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
5/1/18 7:01 p.m.

I bought one and couldnt get it to work with my phone. I tried a bunch of apps, but to no avail. Works just fine with my laptop Win10 laptop.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/18 7:52 p.m.
RossD said:

I bought one and couldnt get it to work with my phone. I tried a bunch of apps, but to no avail. Works just fine with my laptop Win10 laptop.

I had the same issue. I want one for my iPad with a semi rigid cable to be able to get a bit further in to things like walls or pipes. 

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/1/18 7:55 p.m.

I bought one off Amazon for my Samsung S5.... about $12.  It works OK, but it's not as good as the dedicated inspection camera I got from HF. 

WonkoTheSane
5/1/18 7:55 p.m.

Here's the one that I'm looking at.  I think my pixel will work as I've confirmed it works with OTG.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
5/1/18 8:54 p.m.

^looks solid, I think I need one of these in my life.  I use them at work every once in a while in healthcare, she could find many uses in the home and garage...

WonkoTheSane
5/1/18 9:33 p.m.
turtl631 said:

^looks solid, I think I need one of these in my life.  I use them at work every once in a while in healthcare, she could find many uses in the home and garage...

That's what I thought.. for 20, I just rolled those dice.

WonkoTheSane
5/3/18 5:16 p.m.

So here's what I got for my $20.  I just opened it today, so no reviews on longevity or anything, but so far, so good.  The cord is stiff enough you can position it and it stays.  I'll give it a proper workout tonight when I peer into my walls to find a water leak.  For now:

I snapped a pic down a cylinder:

And here's a video of the camera in action:

Groats
Groats New Reader
5/3/18 8:53 p.m.

That looks way better than what I saw when I got one of those cheappie borescopes.  It didn't show much of anything when I put it down a spark plug hole.  The software was terrible too, it would run for maybe 3 minutes (felt like less) then crashed.

It was this guy:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0792B7V56/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/3/18 11:40 p.m.

Wow, that's a ton better than the one I've had for a few years.  Ordered.

I am disappointed you showed us a picture of a piston instead of a rotor, though. :)

WonkoTheSane
5/4/18 9:45 a.m.

Yeah, sorry, I don't have any assembled rotaries on the shelf, and I didn't feel like pulling a plug out of the Rx-8.  I just used the spare Miata engine that everyone has laying around.

I didn't record the video since it would be meaningless if you weren't there, but I did use it last night to validate what I thought was the problem with my tub drain, so I didn't cut open the ceiling where I thought I was going to.    Well worth the $20.    I also looked at some baby birds in a nest in the gutters, the kids loved that.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
5/6/18 7:38 a.m.

In reply to WonkoTheSane :

Did it come with the adaptor to use with my S7?  Hard to tell from the listing, but I'll probably get an S9 the end of the year anyway.

WonkoTheSane
5/6/18 8:03 a.m.

Yeah, the description is lacking a bit, but it comes with a USB C to Micro USB converter, as well as a USB C to USB A for use with computers. 

Your S7 uses micro, right?

For the record, it also came with a hook, a magnet and a mirror so you can see 90° from the camera.  The accessories are pretty chintzy, I had to tape it in place when I used the mirror.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CGFyRwt0Kl7tBRK0JUWN927cw9oWszyl42WaciIlLZJSz9MgPdzUE6Se6GaSUL8U